Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,

As it appears this is more than an isolated incident, I would like for anyone who has had a problem with broken axles/bolts/mounting brackets, etc., to post in this thread. This way we can form a crude database of issues and solutions to help those in need later.
This is not a thread for commentary on the subject so do not fill the thread with replies.

Thanks.

Suggested Format (by fgraziano)

Mileage: XX,XXX
Axle Shear: Y/N
Diff Bracket Shear: Y/N
Diff Bolt Shear: Y/N
Number of Occurrences: X

UPDATE (from another member):

If you would edit your first post and add: there is a new part # GP9A-28-69X-A

This is the new 4 bold design as opposed to the old 2 bolt design.

There is no service bulletin or recall as of yet.[/b]

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Although I am certain I have a broken rear axel, one trip to the dealer, followed three months later by a phone call to Mazda NA customer service, has done me no good.
The dealer said they called the Mazda tech linea nd their response simply said "no current fix".

Yeah they actually wrote this on the service order.

I was told by the dealer that Mazda was aware of the problem, and were working on a solution. I would be contacted by the dealer once Mazda has it sorted out. This was in August. The customer service rep on the Mazda phone line suggested I try another dealer because "they may have someone there who has more knowledge to diagnos the problem" They also said they would call me back when they talked to the first dealer and the tech line. No call so far, that was last friday.

So thursday I will drop it off at another dealer (ten miles from work instead of two blocks!!! :swearin: ) and see what happens.

I thought it best to start the documentation prior to the second visit to the dealer, just in case it helps anyone. I will post specifics as soon as I have them.

Good luck to evrybody.

PS. This problem developed slowly over time and has gotten progressively worse each day. I have never dragged my car, or given it rocket launches, and I rarely disengage the dsc (frankly I'm just to lazy..lol)

Although I am certain I have a broken rear axel, one trip to the dealer, followed three months later by a phone call to Mazda NA customer service, has done me no good.
The dealer said they called the Mazda tech linea nd their response simply said "no current fix".

Yeah they actually wrote this on the service order.

I was told by the dealer that Mazda was aware of the problem, and were working on a solution. I would be contacted by the dealer once Mazda has it sorted out. This was in August. The customer service rep on the Mazda phone line suggested I try another dealer because "they may have someone there who has more knowledge to diagnos the problem" They also said they would call me back when they talked to the first dealer and the tech line. No call so far, that was last friday.

So thursday I will drop it off at another dealer (ten miles from work instead of two blocks!!! :swearin: ) and see what happens.

I thought it best to start the documentation prior to the second visit to the dealer, just in case it helps anyone. I will post specifics as soon as I have them.

Good luck to evrybody.

PS. This problem developed slowly over time and has gotten progressively worse each day. I have never dragged my car, or given it rocket launches, and I rarely disengage the dsc (frankly I'm just to lazy..lol)
[/b]
Ironically the problem started before any mods, and can prove that through the documentation provide by my first visit. :D

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I have a broken mount and axle.

Should be covered under warranty.

Let's keep count of those who have broken axle/mount/lsd/etc or have had theirs fixed.I've seen countless members post here,not to mention those who ahve not posted or visit the forums.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
It may be useful too if people can post scans of their dealer paperwork... solid evidence, not just stories, to show dealers/MNAO.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a broken mount and axle.

Should be covered under warranty.

Let's keep count of those who have broken axle/mount/lsd/etc or have had theirs fixed.I've seen countless members post here,not to mention those who ahve not posted or visit the forums.
[/b]

You can either post in the format above or not post at all. This goes for everyone in here.

Am I not making myself clear? NO commentary. Just follow the format.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Mileage: 2,600 (when it happened)
Axle Shear: Y
Diff Bracket Shear: Y
Diff Bolt Shear: Not Sure
Number of Occurrences: 1

·
Registered
213 Posts
Build Date: will add later
Build #: 0806
Current Mileage: 9,854
Diff Bolt Shear: Y
Number of Occurrences Bolts: 1
Number Of Occurrences Axle(s): 4

·
Registered
211 Posts
Update: after all the problems, I installed an aftermarket rear diff brace and sold the car.
It has been a couple years now and the current owner hasn't had a single problem with the car. 'smack forehead'

build date: Dec 23rd 2005

Mileage: ~ 10,000
Right Axle Shear: Y
Left Axle Shear: N
Front 2 bolt Diff Bracket Shear: N
Rear 4 bolt Diff Bracket Shear: Y
Front bracket Bolt Shear: N
Rear bracket Bolt Shear: N
"good will replacement" after a month of refusing

Mileage: ~ 18,500
Right Axle Shear: N
Rear 4 bolt Diff Bracket Shear: N
Front bracket Bolt Shear: Y
Not repaired correctly the first time by old Dealership - "Warrantied" and repaired correctly by new Dealership

Mileage: ~ 32,000
Left Axle Shear: Y
Front bracket Bolt Shear: N
"Warrantied" by new Dealership

Mileage: ~ 37,000
Front bracket Bolt Shear: Y
"Warrantied" by new Dealership

Thank you davecoyne!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Build date: 09/05
Build #: 535
Mileage: 8500
Axle shear: Y
Diff Bracket shear: Y
Diff bolt shear: Y
Number of occurances: 1

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mileage: 12,500
Axle Shear: Y (Front)
Diff Bracket Shear: No
Diff Bolt Shear: No

Mileage: 20,000
Axle Shear: Y (Rear)
Diff Bolt Shear: No

Mileage: 30,000
Axle Shear: No
Diff Bolt Shear: Yes

·
Registered
81 Posts
i broke mine for the third time this weekend...

the first time...

Mileage: 2700
Axle Shear: y
Diff Bracket Shear: y
Diff Bolt Shear: n

the second time....

Mileage: 5538
Axle Shear: N
Diff Bracket Shear: N

the third time....

Mileage: 6195
Axle Shear: N/a
Diff Bracket Shear: N/a
Diff Bolt Shear: N/a
Number of Occurrences: .....

i am standing by for the phone call :swearin:
my mazda tech said this qualifies for the lemon law here in cali, so i dunno...... i might be saying goodbye to my RED MS6, hopefully to get into a BLACK one..... but we will see. i actually want to keep this car, but fuck all this drama surrounding it.

could some of you guys include some instances that might have made this happen, or the circumstances???

my first one occured sliding the car on a make shift autox... then the last two after that..... i swear to god, i was driving like grandma. i bought the car april of this year, and it is in repeatedly.... someone give me some insight. thanx.

·
Registered
81 Posts
so I just got off the phone with my service manager... my car is repaired and in good condition. he informed me that the c-clip came off of my left axle(left axle seems to be giving me all the problems in the world!), they got me a whole new axle just for shits and giggles. I asked him about the rear end, if it should hold up etc... from all the horror stories I had received in PM's I wanted to make sure. he informed me that there are updated rear bolts available thru mazda specifically for this problem. he said they updated em, simply because the tinsel strength of the stock bolts obviously don't hold up. he says my rearend should be bullet proof.... I think it is bs, but believe that I will put it to the test, and see if they can put their money where their mouthz are. I am hoping that all will be well, so I can finally start modding this car.... well without worrying about taking shit off every time I break something. so for those of you that are still having this problem.... if the myth of the updated bolts are true, go get em swapped out.

I kindof believe the bolt issue, only because the second time I broke the rear end, a mazda tech from corporate came out. he did exactly 107 measurements on the rearend, and made sure the car haddnt been jumped, crashed into, taken offroad for some rally excursions etc. he then went to his briefcase, and extracted the bolts from there.... where I watched him replace all bolts on the rear end.(he must have not been qualified on the c-clip) he didn't grab the generic bolts they had there at mazda..... so like I said, hopefully all will be well, and I can start seriously putting this car through its paces. I will keep you guys updated, and if all holds up... cp-e better have a front mount and supporting cast in stock...lol. feel free to pm me if you guys have any other questions.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
edit

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
edit

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Mileage: 20,000
Number of Occurrences: 3[/b]

you broke your axle today???

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
you broke your axle today???[/b]
Oh god no. The bolts for the differential broke. I got it fixed under warranty :D.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
FIRST TIME
Mileage: 2,xxx (Driver side)
WARRANTY GRANTED

SECOND TIME
Mileage: 11,xxx (Driver Side)
Number of Occurrences:2
-NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY

THIRD TIME
Mileage: 20,000 (Driver Side)
Number of Occurrences: 3
-WARRANTY GRANTED

I went through 1 more set of diff bolts and then got rid of the car.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Mileage: 23.783
Axle Shear: Y (driver's side)
Diff Bolt Shear: N

A clunking noise was present under acceleration for about a month prior to the axle shear occurring. Dealership was unable to identify the problem (until the axle broke, of course).

1 - 20 of 113 Posts