Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, you heard that right folks.

The diff bracket is now a FOUR BOLT DESIGN.

Make SURE if you get your car worked on for a failed bracket that they order the -A part.

This SHOULD fix a majority of the failures..

I ordered one myself and am going to Jim Click to have it updated/upgraded.

Also, too, to all those who are fighting an uphill battle getting Mazda to admit the problem, well, this revision shows me they already HAVE acknowledged a problem and are doing something to fix it. Push this issue with the information you have here and make the dealerships own up to the fix.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yes, you heard that right folks.

The diff bracket is now a FOUR BOLT DESIGN.

Make SURE if you get your car worked on for a failed bracket that they order the -A part.

This SHOULD fix a majority of the failures..

I ordered one myself and am going to Jim Click to have it updated/upgraded.

Also, too, to all those who are fighting an uphill battle getting Mazda to admit the problem, well, this revision shows me they already HAVE acknowledged a problem and are doing something to fix it. Push this issue with the information you have here and make the dealerships own up to the fix.
[/b]
Can you post a part number and price? Also, its this a simple bolt in swap?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I just finished sending you the pics Rob.

And the part number is GP9A-28-69XA. If your dealer has the October version of the catalog, they have the updated part number. They've also stopped production on the older part number. The new part number is still in production, and there are less than 10 of them in country right now, so if all of you go ordering them, then they'll go on backorder. Just a heads up. I offer it for $186.70.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Pics for everyone

any chance that you can get the dealer to do this as a preventative warranty replacement? No charge to us?
[/b]
unlikely. unless Mazda releases a TSB or recall on it, I wouldn't hold your breath on it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just finished sending you the pics Rob.

And the part number is GP9A-28-69XA. If your dealer has the October version of the catalog, they have the updated part number. They've also stopped production on the older part number. The new part number is still in production, and there are less than 10 of them in country right now, so if all of you go ordering them, then they'll go on backorder. Just a heads up. I offer it for $186.70.
[/b]
Yeppers! ;) Thats great new too, the price is definitely right.

I am just super-glad overall that Mazda owned up to it and did something about it. I gotta give them huge huge props for that, just ask some other suby, evo, etc about the issues they have had over the years. I personally have been involved in helping a few suby owners negotiate warranty repairs because the subys used to have a part-throttle enleanment condition that would blow the motors when they were bone stock. It makes our problems look very small in the overall picture.

Anyway, its great news in quite a few ways.

·
Registered
820 Posts
well, if it happens to break then it's not my fault haha. ;-) On a side note, it still looks like a pretty shitty design. I would not be surprised if these still get sheared.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Any pictures of the old design for comparison? Or is it the same with just the two bolts closest to the bend?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, if it happens to break then it's not my fault haha. ;-) On a side note, it still looks like a pretty shitty design. I would not be surprised if these still get sheared.
[/b]
Well, I think the newer design will hold up to around maybe 350wtq or so.. So the stronger bracket is still in the works...

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Thanks ghetto, great work.
Headed to the dealer this afternoom to drop mine off for the third time to try and have this issue resolved. This bit of info will definately help.
You rule!!!! :yesnod:

·
Registered
967 Posts
I tell you all of this broken diff bracket drama is making me consider thrashing the hell out of my MS6 until I break the diff bracket. That way I can get one of the new brackets and be done with it. Because what it seems like is that it's just a matter of time before it goes out under one circumstance or another.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Any pictures of the old design for comparison? Or is it the same with just the two bolts closest to the bend?
[/b]

I guess Mazda was ahead of me on Nov 13"th, but wonder how the weak 2- bolt design snuck by.

"I question Mazda's 2 bolts mount to diff connection, given the offset loading. In this bmw pic, lots of bolts spread out do the job, as the cast mount is the rear diff cover."

·
Registered
364 Posts
#1 is a brutal spot to get at from under the car...wonder the best way to get at those bolts?

If you're planning on installing the whiteline rear sway bar, do it at the same time as this 4 bolt bracket.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I tell you all of this broken diff bracket drama is making me consider thrashing the hell out of my MS6 until I break the diff bracket. That way I can get one of the new brackets and be done with it. Because what it seems like is that it's just a matter of time before it goes out under one circumstance or another.
[/b]
Well, if its already got the 4 bolt, then you might be thrashing, wearing out your rear tires and wasting gas for nothing lol...

I would say we maybe all need to talk to the dealerships and try to work out a deal.

If the bracket is breaking with the 2 bolt, maybe we could go to the dealership and tell them whats happening and tell them that the bracket is either going to get checked to see if its a 4 bolt and changed if neccesary for a sum total of about 300 bux in both parts and labor, OR they can have your car come in with a busted/cracked bracket, a shredded axle, and a cracked diff case.

I would think they would choose the latter, but, being the devils advocate and having worked as a mechanic, it really depends..

Maybe if we offer to pay for the part they will pay for the install? Either way, seems like it would make good sense to change them out BEFORE there is an issue, you know?

#1 is a brutal spot to get at from under the car...wonder the best way to get at those bolts?

If you're planning on installing the whiteline rear sway bar, do it at the same time as this 4 bolt bracket.
[/b]
If you remove the front diff mount and let the diff swing down, it will allow you access to the rear diff bracket bolts on top of the diff. Pretty easy actually.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
For people that have been unfortunate enough to pay for the broken axle problem caused by this bloody bracket, you have to talk to Mazda Customer Relations the number is 1-800-222-5500. I just got off the phone with the dealership who charged me and thats what he told. Best of luck to the people that are getting their money back.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Okay, this whole rear diff issue scares me.

1. Do all current MS6's have the 2 bolt bracket?

2. My mfg date 09/05, is it more likely I have the 2 bolt?

3. How can I tell if I have the 2 bolt or the 4 bolt?

4. Is this 2 bolt bracket the source of all the breaking rear diffs I've been hearing about?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
You have a 2 bolt.... the design and part is new...

EDIT: BTW, are you guys going to pay the $186 and get the mount? I just bought mine....

1 - 20 of 101 Posts