Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when you guys got your Mazda6's did the dealer tell you not to go over a certain speed and not take off fast for a certain amount of time? I heard its bad for new cars when you do these things. Not that i'm going to beat my car when it arrives. but i'm going to be anxious to see how it runs when i drive it home.:)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'breaking the car in?'

Originally posted by Mikesteelgrey

when you guys got your Mazda6's did the dealer tell you not to go over a certain speed and not take off fast for a certain amount of time? I heard its bad for new cars when you do these things. Not that i'm going to beat my car when it arrives. but i'm going to be anxious to see how it runs when i drive it home.:)[/b]
There are about 20 threads dealing with this on the board. Everybody has different opinions, some say run it gently for 3000 miles, some say run it hard for the first 500 miles, some say run it in between for the first 700 miles, some people say don't drive it at all, etc etc.

Your best bet would be the owner's manual. If I recall, it gives certain things not to do, but basically it says vary the RPM's and speeds over the first 700 miles, and don't go over 4k RPMs. Treat the baby right the first thousand miles, and she'll provide guaranteed enjoyment and reliability for the hundreds of thousands of miles to come.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Reading Topic: breaking the car in?

i agree with moocat, just follow the users manual. Basically just take it easy for the first 700 miles, keep the RPMs down and no long road trips and you will be set. After that, well thats when the fun starts :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

thanks guys! My car will be in between May 5-10th. It seems like its taking forever!!! I just want to jump in that leather drivers seat, put it in first gear and take off! while listening to my tunes on the bose system!:D

·
Registered
1,813 Posts

And don't forget to have an oil change at 1000 miles to get rid off all the metal deposites that your new engien made. My baby only got about 80 miles on it, still got a long way to go! Congrates to everyone for choosing THE 6!!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

Originally posted by heronew

And don't forget to have an oil change at 1000 miles to get rid off all the metal deposites that your new engien made. My baby only got about 80 miles on it, still got a long way to go! Congrates to everyone for choosing THE 6!!!! ;)[/b]
New cars shouldn't have metal deposits like an older car. And if that was the case you'd be better off changing the oil after the first 100 miles because if any pieces are in the motor their already in the oil.

·
Registered
498 Posts

I drove mine easy for the first 1000 miles, keeping it under 3000 RPM and varying speed when I had to drive on the freeway. A couple of times, I punched it, but even then I didn't go above about 4000 RPM or so. (Easier to control that with the manual...) I happened to be close to a Valvoline oil change station when I rolled over 1000 miles, so I changed out my regular oil for synthetic with 1001 miles on the car. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts

Actually my dealer didn't change the oil after 1500km, said it wasn't necessary until 10,000km. Has anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Well, my dealer said not to change mine until about 4000 miles and not to use synthetic as it was "unnecessary". Still gonna use synthetic, though. :) I used 4k rpm as my upper limit and I may have gone over that slightly on rare occasions, and even then only momentarily. On the highway, sometimes changing speed within a gear was difficult so I'd shift down to fourth. Problem is that 75 mph is just about pushing 4k rpm in fourth gear!

·
Registered
793 Posts

true...75mph does push on 4k's door..but hey....my dealer sent me a maintenance notice saying its time to change my oil at 3500 miles and i was wondering...does anybody know if your dealer will put in synthetic oil for you...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I'm guessing "no" since Mazda does not recommend synthetic oil in any of their cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I picked up my 6 last thursday (May 1st) it actually only took like 2 weeks to get it (dealer hooked me up) So far i love it, so much fun to drive. I got the 5 speed, its my first standard car, mind you i can drive stick decently already, but man its so smooth, but i have been doing the same as the last couple of posts, varying the revs, no going above 4000 rpm, and short trips.

Yesterday though, my engine light came on, i have an appointment today, anyone else have this happen to them.. hope its nothing big that would suck

·
Registered
498 Posts

Originally posted by sanj

Yesterday though, my engine light came on, i have an appointment today, anyone else have this happen to them.. hope its nothing big that would suck[/b]
Sanj,

You may be a victim of that vacuum hose problem that's been thrown about here on the forums for a while now. On some of the V6 models, a vacuum hose that connects to the throttle body is too short, and will come off, resulting in the Check Engine Light. When I asked my dealer's service manager about it, he said he had seen the e-mail about it, but that a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) had not yet been released. I'd mention that to your dealer when you take it in; they should be able to replace the hose quickly enough and have you back on the road.

·
Registered
12 Posts

SDSilver6 ,

thanks for the tip,
ill be sure to mention it tonight and ill pop back on the forum tommarow and let you know what happened in case anyone runs into the same thing

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

first call from the dealer to checkup on me after i got my 6 a week later

"U drive ur car fast?"
me: "No, i have to break it in first"
"Oh, right"

·
Registered
12 Posts

wow, that was a waste of time
so apparently when i got my 6 they didnt put the gas cap on tightly and thats why my engine light went on, ive only had it for a couple of days and havnt put that many km's on it, so it didnt register right away, or so they say..
tip for the day: tighten your gas cap, cause if ya dont you have to go to mazda to get them to take the engine light off

·
Registered
878 Posts

I find using a hammer is the quickest way to break in a car.
That's what this is all about right ?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: breaking the car in?

ask Ruefus, his favorite quote is:

if it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer! :D

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by meat6

I find using a hammer is the quickest way to break in a car.
That's what this is all about right ?[/b]
Give him a break.

Or is that brake?

:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts