Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I have heard not so much on here but just overall different opinions on how to break in a new vehicle. This is what I have heard...

1) Stay between 65-70 MPH on the highway for the first 3K miles
2) Stay between 65-70 MPH on highways for the first 1500 Miles.
3) Just floor it whenever you want and drive it like you will always.

Any other opinions or better yet..... Experiences? I know on a previous new car I had I never went past 70 for the first 2K I couldnt wait for the last K! But anyway, I have always had Domestic, GM and Ford cars. This is an import, and from what I hear Mazda power is outstanding which is why i went the Mazda route, not to mention the 6 is just so damn sexy!

Any tips?

·
Registered
919 Posts
This is an import, and from what I hear Mazda power is outstanding which is why i went the Mazda route
Any tips?[/font]
[/b]

Are we talking about the right car? :huh: Not for nothing, but Mazda power on the regular 6 is hardly outstanding.

·
Registered
867 Posts
dude this isn't hard at all, look in the manual it tells you.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Excersize all of the RPM's.
[/b]
I approve this statement.
Use the whole RPM range. Warm up the engine to operating temps. Pick a lower gear and work the RPM up and down. You don't have to do this all the time. Just don't linger in a set RPM range all the time. If you find yourself on the highway doing 2.5k drop down a gear and work the higher end.
DON'T POUND ON IT! Just gradually work the engine up to redline.
This will properly break-in the engine.
My engine purrs, spins wheels and doesn't burn oil.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Just to add another opinion, I worked the entire RPM range for the first 600mi gradually, but after that I stretched her legs. After 1000mi I changed the oil and now I drive it like I normally would, a daily driver with occasional full throttle runs and spirited driving once everything is warmed up. Over 2200 miles now.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the opinions, I have been putting the RPM'S and the different gears to use. I appreciate those of you who actually put in your 2 cents and opinions, cuz there was one comment in there that i think was rude. but thats just me. THANKS AGAN ALL!

IM LOVIN my 06 HB Mazda 6!

·
Registered
919 Posts
I would vary the RPM 's at least the first 600 mi. I also read somewhere that driving it hard during the break in period actually makes the valves seat better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts