Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone know the Brand of Speaker that comes with the Mazda6 Classic Hatch. Its not the BOSE system speakers. Are the standard speakers any good

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Brand Of Speakers'

They are sufficient if you have no special requests about sound quality. It's pretty much okay, but not more. I wouldn't even call it descent if you wish for a good stereo.

Don't know about brand, but wouldn't be too surprise to hear if they are no-names possibly made by Philips...

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

BTW, Victor: did you exchange them with something else? In that case: what?

Does it sound any better with new speakers and the same standard amp?

·
Registered
9 Posts

In placed of the original are 4 MB Quart 2-way component. Adaptors were needed to fit 6.5" speakers into the 5"x7" holes. Sounds definitely better, but I over specified the speakers. These MB Quarts need much higher power amps, so I added a Blaupunkt PA 4100. Now it sounds good enough for me.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

They look like 5x7's to me, which means 5.25's should fit easily, and 6.5's may be possible, both with modifications.

·
Registered
514 Posts

Originally posted by Victor

In placed of the original are 4 MB Quart 2-way component. Adaptors were needed to fit 6.5" speakers into the 5"x7" holes. Sounds definitely better, but I over specified the speakers. These MB Quarts need much higher power amps, so I added a Blaupunkt PA 4100. Now it sounds good enough for me.[/b]
Do you have the Blose system? If so, what method did you use to integrate the Blau amp into your system?

thanks,
-Alt

·
Registered
791 Posts

Victor-

While you were in there, did you confirm the size of the front speakers?

For the rear, I think I'm getting these. Gave them a listen today and was impressed.

·
Registered
514 Posts

Do you live in a sunny climate? The green kappas used to have a serious problem with UV damage. Serious problem...

Personally I don't think they sound that great either... but sound quality is subjective. My concern is mainly reliability. Though I haven't heard anything similar about the perfects yet...

-Alt

·
Registered
791 Posts

They easily sounded the best among Polk, Pioneer, Kenwood, and other mid-fi brands. I'm not going to get anything too hi-fi because I'm keeping the stock head unit and amplification.

If I were going hi-fi, I would not get anything other than focal or vifa/scanspeak.

But really, has anybody poked around and confirmed the front speaker sizes? Last I posted about this, I was told 5 1/4 in front and 6 1/2 in back. We now know it's a 5x7 in the back, and it looks like a 5x7 in the front too:

http://www.mazda.com/mnl/200204/module.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Hey guys

Does anyone know of any 3way 5" x 7" speakers. All i found are 2 way or cones(which sounds crap). Is there any way you can fit 6"x9" on the front or back ??

·
Registered
514 Posts

Ick. I hate Focal. They sound very strained to me... not effortless at all. I prefer Dynaudio and Morel... that's me though, I like completely natural sound. PERSONALLY I don't think Focal sounds natural (partciularly the higher-end Focal). People hate me for thinking this, but that's just how my ears feel.

ScanSpeak on the other hand... yummmmy!!! I knew a company taht ALMOST biult a component set for the car out of scan-speak drivers... the crossover they desinged was pehnomenal but I think they didn't have the funds to go through with the project. Too bad, it was one of the best component sets I'd ever heard.

-Alt

·
Registered
791 Posts

OK, this is off topic now, but I have to chime in- focals are really the only high end speaker manufacturer that I respect that I've heard in a car. I've never heard the others, but... and this is the part I wanted to brag about...

My home theater is graced with Scanspeak drivers :)

·
Registered
791 Posts

Nilanga:

You don't want a three-way speaker. You want a nice two-way speaker instead. I don't know of a single good three-way speaker (save some component setups). The more drivers required to reproduce the sound, the more crossover networks are needed. This disrupts continuity with the phase of the drivers- in short, at the crossover frequencies, they don't vibrate together.

Bottom line: instead of shopping for a 3-way, shop for a nicer 2-way. You won't be disappointed, and if you still are- migrate to components, not 3-ways.

·
Registered
514 Posts

More opinions to disagree with... gotta love audio. I love a well-executed 3-way. And they're not as rare as you might think... :)

-Alt

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

hey Altersys

Do u know of any 3way 5"x7" speakers. I currently have Pioneer 6"x9" on my second car and I'm really happy with them.

cheers

·
Registered
514 Posts

Well, when it comes to three-way "coaxials" I never suggest so-called three-ways. First of all, they aren't true three ways. A three-way component set consists of a midbass, midrange, and tweeter. Triaxials are mid/bass, tweeter, and "supertweeter"... totally useless and rather crappy sound quality for more money. Ick. In my opinion, for oval locations, you want to get the best darn coaxial you can afford. What's your budget if I may ask?

-Alt

1 - 20 of 23 Posts