Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brand (not talking about octane) of gasoline is best?

By brand I mean Shell, Chevron, ExxonMobil, Lukoil, etc.

I know about Top Tier gasoline but I'm curious to see what else is out there.

I personally use Shell most of the time but have used ExxonMobil and BP when I'm running out of gas.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
VALERO

The largest refiner in North America, Valero has an extensive refining system with a throughput capacity of approximately 3.3 million barrels per day.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I buy the cheapest gasoline that I can find. However I added gas additive everytime (fuel power).

It will beat any top tier/name brand gas anytime.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I use Shell, Gas is Gas, it's the detergents that matter, Top Tier FTW.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
All gas is the same. Every station in your area is pulling their gasoline out of the same pipeline that any one of dozens of refiners dump refined gasoline into. When you buy Exxon gasoline chances exponentially greater that you're getting someone else's gasoline not Exxon-refined gasoline. Same goes for everyone else.

The only difference is the detergents or additives that a particular chain might add to their own storage tanks. And on regular-grade gasoline these usually amount to almost nothing if they're even used at all.

That said, I use Shell. Because it's the cheapest in my area and the easiest station to access on my way home or to work.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I always get name brand gas. I tried off brand gas before, then my gas mileage dropped badly, around 50 miles less per tank. Some off brand gas buy their gas from major brands such as BP and Shell, but many of their gas stations are not very well maintained so debris and dirt can get into their storage tank if they don't change the filter and do regular clean ups.

All gasline come from the refineries, almost all major brands have their own refineries in the U.S., pure base petroleum gets refined into gasoline. However, the Mobil gas station at your town may have gasoline refined at a BP refinery, what gasoline companies do is they team up to save cost. For example, if I have a ExxonMobil refinary in New Jersey and another dude got a BP refinery at California, then I decided to open stations in California, so instead of having me send trucks all the way from New Jersey to deliver gas to California, I can just buy gas from the BP refinery in California, and the BP dude can do the same for his BP stations at New Jersey, that's why when I went to the gulf coast I see different brands of trucks line up at the refineries waiting to get gasoline. Then the trick is all about different addictives each brand add to make their gasoline distinct, I'm not very sure where they add the addictives, I believe it's at the distribution centers. If you live in winter states such as where I live, the government requires gasoline campanies to add special winter addictives to reduce emission, I really hate that because it reduces my gas mileage.

Many people may say gas is gas, they are all the same. It might be true that they all come from the same refinery, but the addictives are totally different. My personal favorites are Shell, BP, Mobil, and Exxon. It also depends on your engine, from my personal experiences, Honda engines like Shell a lot, Toyota engines like Mobil.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If you just stay away from the noname mom and pop gas station and stick with the ones that you might see ads for on tv or hear on the radio, you will be fine. Ones that are top tier are preferred but not necessary,but you should use an additive, whenever you can, if you do use those types of gas.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
my research: the 3.0v6 likes the Exxon gas, followed by Shell both of which are a little more pricey than Valero.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I use Quick Trip gas [ I've never heard of Valero]

As long as it's not some Mom and Pop place, I figure it's all about the same.
But I have never had any problem with QT and I always try to go to the same station when I can.

·
Registered
177 Posts
i use shell or chevron. but to the guy who always uses fuel additive... be careful about using too much. if you keep using it, itll leave deposits on your spark plugs

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I use Quick Trip gas [ I've never heard of Valero]
[/b]

Valero. Because I used to have one across the street from my house before I moved and I have a Valero CC. Well, technically its a Diamond Shamrock that was across the street, but its the same.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Valero=Russia's entry into the American retail market. Lot's of oil and money behind this company. I would say if you avoid the off-brand stations, your getting the same products.

Here in California we get our own "special" blend of gas. Doesn't matter where you buy it, it sucks. We also get the pleasue of paying about .15 more a gallon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I always get name brand gas. I tried off brand gas before, then my gas mileage dropped badly, around 50 miles less per tank. Some off brand gas buy their gas from major brands such as BP and Shell, but many of their gas stations are not very well maintained so debris and dirt can get into their storage tank if they don't change the filter and do regular clean ups.

All gasline come from the refineries, almost all major brands have their own refineries in the U.S., pure base petroleum gets refined into gasoline. However, the Mobil gas station at your town may have gasoline refined at a BP refinery, what gasoline companies do is they team up to save cost. For example, if I have a ExxonMobil refinary in New Jersey and another dude got a BP refinery at California, then I decided to open stations in California, so instead of having me send trucks all the way from New Jersey to deliver gas to California, I can just buy gas from the BP refinery in California, and the BP dude can do the same for his BP stations at New Jersey, that's why when I went to the gulf coast I see different brands of trucks line up at the refineries waiting to get gasoline. Then the trick is all about different addictives each brand add to make their gasoline distinct, I'm not very sure where they add the addictives, I believe it's at the distribution centers. If you live in winter states such as where I live, the government requires gasoline campanies to add special winter addictives to reduce emission, I really hate that because it reduces my gas mileage.

Many people may say gas is gas, they are all the same. It might be true that they all come from the same refinery, but the addictives are totally different. My personal favorites are Shell, BP, Mobil, and Exxon. It also depends on your engine, from my personal experiences, Honda engines like Shell a lot, Toyota engines like Mobil.
[/b]
Well it seem unamous that most the gas is the same since it originates from the refineries, BUT stay away from mom and pop gas station and stick with the brand name gas stations.

What seems to matter the most is the addiviatives added to the gas.

The question is, who has the best additives? What works best with the Mazda6 V6? When is the additive added... at the gas station... at a distrubter?

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
i use shell or chevron. but to the guy who always uses fuel additive... be careful about using too much. if you keep using it, itll leave deposits on your spark plugs
[/b]
fuel power is not just a regular fuel additive that you find in stores. It's supposed to be used regularly. Read the reviews at BITOG forum

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Valero=Russia's entry into the American retail market.

[/b]
eh?

A marketing leader, Valero has more than 5,000 retail and branded wholesale outlets in the United States, Canada and the Caribbean under various brand names including Valero, Diamond Shamrock, Shamrock, Ultramar, and Beacon. The company markets on a retail and wholesale basis through a bulk and rack marketing network in 42 U.S. states, Canada, Latin America and the Caribbean.

Valero has long been recognized throughout the industry as a leader in the production of premium, environmentally clean products, such as reformulated gasoline, California Air Resources Board (CARB) Phase II gasoline, low-sulfur diesel and oxygenates.

http://www.valero.com/About+Valero/

1 - 20 of 28 Posts