Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just test drove a 6i last night. After a little driving, it started to smell like it was burning. I turned on the AC and the odor was POWERFUL. What the hell was wrong with that car? Of course, the salesman tried to tell me that's typical for a new car - not any one I've ever driven!

It was the automatic (blah, but all they had) - e-brake was down, I just don't know what was up with it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
it is pretty normal for a new car. It's just the shipping coating burning off the underside of the car.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
^^yup. may take awhile to burn off, too. typical of new cars.

Z

·
0 Posts
Yep, just the anti rust coating on the exhaust. Doesn't last very long

·
Registered
149 Posts
Cool, I thought I was the only one that smelt that stuff. It took about 50 miles to clear up on mine

I just peeked at the exhaust and muffler and after 6500 rust is already starting to show in certain spots. Kinda early IMO for this to start happening. I guess the MF exhaust is goin on sooner then I thought. I may bank for the greddy though. Donny from rpm was tellin me the greddy pipes are better quality and would resist the rusting a lot longer

·
Registered
405 Posts
sulfur kind of smell?

yea. Its horrible. Should go away in... a month. lol

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
The Injens are also amazing, they didn't have a bit of rust on them and I was the 3rd owner...

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had the same smell on mine when i first got it... I thought something was burning or going to catch on fire - but I was assured it was normal and it eventually went away.

·
Registered
641 Posts
That smell affected me too. I've got about 400+ miles on the car now and its gone away. I thought it was just the shiny crap the dealer sprayed in the engine compartment during the pre-sale detailing.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Same here......I thought I was burn some type of rubber on the car from the exhaust system. I was then thinking, well, it's a brand new car and that is what is smells like for the first hundred miles and so. It smells normal now. Or maybe it was because my MS6 had too much fiber in her diet and had a bad case of "gas" for a few hundred miles. She feels "regular" now. lol :drive:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
IF you want high quality then the MF exhaust is not for you. go for the Injen.

·
Registered
475 Posts
yup its all normal, smells like shit but its normal. just take a lil trip few hundred miles youll have fun and by the time you get back it won't stink anymore.

·
Registered
510 Posts
When i test drove a 2006i MTX it did the same thing. I thought i burned up the clutch or something.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts