Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. I just recently had my Zinc plated cross-drilled and slotted rotors put on. I just got semi-metallic brake pads for now until I can afford to get high performance ones. There's a lifetime warranty on these brake pads too.

When the rotors were put on, the brakes were squeak free for a good week before they started to make their noises.

So, of course they squeal when I step on the brake. But they also squeal once I let off the brake and just drive. I know that my left rear rotor wasn't machined completely flat. So, that could be what is causing the squeal when I left off the brakes.

But do you guys think that because I got a cheapie brake pad set that this is why they're squealing so much, or what?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Alright. I just recently had my Zinc plated cross-drilled and slotted rotors put on. I just got semi-metallic brake pads for now until I can afford to get high performance ones. There's a lifetime warranty on these brake pads too.

When the rotors were put on, the brakes were squeak free for a good week before they started to make their noises.

So, of course they squeal when I step on the brake. But they also squeal once I let off the brake and just drive. I know that my left rear rotor wasn't machined completely flat. So, that could be what is causing the squeal when I left off the brakes.

But do you guys think that because I got a cheapie brake pad set that this is why they're squealing so much, or what? [/b]
Zinc-plated cross drilled and slotted, eh? Well you might have spent your money in better places, such as buying a better set of brake pads and finding someone more competent to do the work (if you did it yourself I apologize).
Squealing when the brakes are applied is vibration, a very high pitched vibration. That's what those insulator pads on the back of the brake pads are for, to absorb those vibrations.
Also, depending on the type of pad material some pads will glaze easier and squeal a little bit when applied. A couple of hard stops usually breaks up the glaze enough, for a while. You mention a "cheapie" brake pad set, yeah that could be contributing to the problem. But I've had high-dollar Performance Friction pads give out the occasional squeal from time to time as well, a lot depends on how you drive the car.
Noise when you're just driving without applying the brakes is NOT good. If you hadn't mentioned having new pads installed I would suspect the wear indicators are rubbing against the discs, telling you its time for new pads. Did you replace front and rear pads?
I'm befuddled by why you would put an improperly machined rotor back on the car. If you KNEW it wasn't true running that's just really really bad judgement. I dont think its your whole problem with noise from just driving. If the pads are indeed new or not worn down to the indicators, then somewhere someone put something back together wrong and something is rubbing against the disc as it turns.
Whoever did the work the first time, I would find a good brake shop and have them look it over. If you took it to a shop I'd give them a chance to make it right, but I think I made my point earlier about a non-true running rotor not being a wise idea to put back on the car for lots of reasons. If a shop did that knowingly I certainly wouldn't go back to them for anything, perhaps time to find someone else, and don't put that rotor back on the car.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got ALL brand new brake pads.

My dad put the rotors on. He is a certified mechanic. Figured I could save myself some $ and have him put them on since he knows what he is doing.

I got those Duralast brake pads from AutoZone.

The left rear rotor was not noticeable until we put the entire thing back together. When I heard a slight rubbing noise, we hoisted the car back up, took the tire off, and spun the thing...we could see a slight movement in the rotor. Not too noticeable unless you look closely, but it's there.

I guess I'll have to take it to my buddy Pene (he runs Meineke) to have him take a look at it and see what he can do. I'm sure he'd fix whatever it is for free unless I have to get new pads...which the ones on there now are under warranty, so I'd get my money back for them.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
did you even bed in the pads?

they will wear and squeek till the end of time unless they are properly bedded, especially metallic pads.

read up on pad bedding in procedures. you'd think your dad would've told ya.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dad has put brake pads on numerous cars in my household. None of them ever squeaked except these ones.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
its because these are a performance semi-metallic pad. they must be bedded in against the rotor they are using. ask your dad about it, or read the instructions.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Most squeals are caused from metal rubbing against metal. Try lubricating the contact points of the pad and the caliper. Use caliper grease, applying liberally everywhere but the meat of the pad.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I got ALL brand new brake pads.

My dad put the rotors on. He is a certified mechanic. Figured I could save myself some $ and have him put them on since he knows what he is doing.

I got those Duralast brake pads from AutoZone.

The left rear rotor was not noticeable until we put the entire thing back together. When I heard a slight rubbing noise, we hoisted the car back up, took the tire off, and spun the thing...we could see a slight movement in the rotor. Not too noticeable unless you look closely, but it's there.

I guess I'll have to take it to my buddy Pene (he runs Meineke) to have him take a look at it and see what he can do. I'm sure he'd fix whatever it is for free unless I have to get new pads...which the ones on there now are under warranty, so I'd get my money back for them. [/b]
Well no offense meant toward dad! :love:

I've had some experience with AutoZone's pads, and IMO they're crap. My son worked there for a while and despite it being against my better judgement we put a set of them on my father-in-law's car. They squealed almost constantly and frankly didn't stop all that well as far as I was concerned. He liked the lifetime warranty thing and I was a little disappointed that Performance Friction' warranty had changed to 2 years (previously lifetime). We put PF pads on it and that was the end of that story. No more DuraJunks.
They're a cheap, mass produced pad that AutoZone sells under their house brand name.
I still stand by my statement that you never should have put that rotor back in service, hope you'll change it.
I'm willing to bet that with a good set of performance pads, proper insulators and lubrication of system, you'll not get any more squealing when you brake (bedding in pads assumed), but you really need to find out what's rubbing that is causing the non-braking squealing.
Lotsa luck!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
arch4life, the pads didn't come with any instructions. I'll get it looked into this weekend if I have time.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey I'm having this same problem with my 6 and its really pissing me off :swearin: I have the stock rotors and i bought EBC Greenstuff brake pads and it squeals like crazy and i have no idea why?? I ran my finger across the rotors and there is no sign of any metal to metal contact...any suggestions would be nice

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hey I'm having this same problem with my 6 and its really pissing me off :swearin: I have the stock rotors and i bought EBC Greenstuff brake pads and it squeals like crazy and i have no idea why?? I ran my finger across the rotors and there is no sign of any metal to metal contact...any suggestions would be nice [/b]
did you bed in the pads properly? if not, there's a good reason for the noise. also if you didnt put all the insulators and rattle springs back on there's another reason for the noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts