Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks

I have a question... i called two dealerships, my rear brakes need replacement and my front still have 60% left. They are saying its possible.. but when I talk to any one they say front ones has to go first.. but they (dealership) says no in Mazda it is a common practice.I did drive it for 10 to 15 km with Hand brake on(my wife actually did this). But my question out there is .. Is it possible that Rears worn out prior to the front one...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
In the above situ that you just mentioned...absolutely...10-15 kms...those puppies will burn quickly....they aren't meant to handle a high load like that for an extended period of time.

In fact I have burnt out a set of pads in the rear on my old car in 30 mins because my fronts had failed

·
Registered
682 Posts
My rears have suffered a similar fate, only it was at the hands of corrosion.

The car sat for quite a while during the winter, and the rotors rusted up. Because the rear's don't make much heat, they can't clean the rust off very well. The rotors are now really pitted and the pads are heavily worn.

What type of driving do you do? City or highway?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mostly Highway driving... but 20% downtown driving also.... Also now I need a feedback for which PADS to go for.... Carbotech Bemco... HAwks Thermaquite

·
Registered
412 Posts
^ I'd like to know as well. I believe my fronts are going, so impressions on price, performance, noise, brake dust, longevity, etc. would be nice, tho I'm sure I should just search.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have Hawks and KVR

Hawks are supposed to be low dust, I don't think so but they are great on performance

KVR seems fine (rear) no issue with KVR

·
Registered
682 Posts
^^ How are they for noise/squealing?

I've heard that some uber-performance brake setups can be hard on the ears...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For now I got the Therma quite from Part source. for rear it sot me $57 from dealer OEM are for $101.83

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Hawks can have some noise during winter time

maybe cuz I had to machine my rotors

but I replaced them and it stopped making any noise

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
No to threadjack here...but would you recommend the KVR?

also shaq..please post back with feedback once ou have properly seated our brakes...i'd liek to hear the feedback on them...

As of right now i'm looking at the rotara blanks, and rotara ceramics....just becuase...when I need to slow down...I need to slow down NOW!

edit: my brakes are due soon which is why I am asking

·
Registered
412 Posts
For now I got the Therma quite from Part source. for rear it sot me $57 from dealer OEM are for $101.83
[/b]
Yea, feedback would be great. If they have similar stopping power to the OEM brakes and make no noise, i'm in! Would there be a big difference between fronts and rears, or could you assume that if they're good in the rear, they'll be similar in the front?

·
Registered
900 Posts
It's not the norm, but I have seen it happen. Are you sure your front pads were never replaced early on for some warranty reason? That would explain the disparity. I would ask them if they are worn unevenly left to right sides (caliper issue). Other than that I would ask for the old parts so you can at least verify the failure.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got a good reply from Eric, Paul reffered me to him .. he is saying for Ceramic 51 Us shipped

It's not the norm, but I have seen it happen. Are you sure your front pads were never replaced early on for some warranty reason? That would explain the disparity. I would ask them if they are worn unevenly left to right sides (caliper issue). Other than that I would ask for the old parts so you can at least verify the failure.
[/b]

No its a new car and it is on lease

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok the Guys Name is Eric. His website is BrakeSwap.com.. Offering me 61 USD Shipped to Canada for Ceramics. So what do you guys think.. Is it better to go Ceramic or go for my Thermaquite which I bought from Partsource

1 - 14 of 14 Posts