Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have 2 questions about the brake's on the 06' Mazda 6s.

1) are the stock up to par with some of the big brake company brands?
2) who all makes brake's for mazda? my g35 had brembo and i loved them i've also enjoye wilwood in the past so who makes some for mazda that compare?

lastly a question/comment. how do you guys keep your rims clean? my rims are dirty as hell after driving for like 3 days and it sucks. i was ok with it when i had 2wheel disc/2 wheel drum brake's but all 4 wheels being dirty sucks. any help suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my front rims get horribly dirty from the brake pads. i'm ordering some ceramic or organics this week not sure which though. any suggestions based on experience from either?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone else have an opinion?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Carbotech and Hawk make excellent performance pads for the 6. The pads are the only thing you really *need* to upgrade. The caliper and rotor size are more than adequate stock, although there are big brake kits on RPM.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Wilwood, SSBC, Rotora, Endless, Stoptech all have kits for the 6 at this point. Brembo has a kit for the car overseas, but no plans on selling it stateside yet.

they are mostly for looks at this point. on longer track days they do help though keep breking consistant. have to look around for pads though, people like diffenent things.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Well I have 2 questions about the brake's on the 06' Mazda 6s.

1) are the stock up to par with some of the big brake company brands?
2) who all makes brake's for mazda? my g35 had brembo and i loved them i've also enjoye wilwood in the past so who makes some for mazda that compare?

lastly a question/comment. how do you guys keep your rims clean? my rims are dirty as hell after driving for like 3 days and it sucks. i was ok with it when i had 2wheel disc/2 wheel drum brake's but all 4 wheels being dirty sucks. any help suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
[/b]
Not so much answers as some additions to your list of questions:

As a recent convert to the Mazda6 -- purchased a used one with 24,000 miles on it at the end of April -- I have been looking into the same questions you have. I read somewhere authoritative, but now cannot find the reference, that in the design phase Mazda commissioned out the design of the brake subsystem to Akebono. If that is true, it makes sense, because Akebono is a leader in brake R&D. That does not mean that the actual brake components are Akebono-sourced, but if Akebono did design the subsystem, again it would make sense for Ford and Mazda to purchase the parts from Akebono.

Personally, I have been pleased and impressed with the OEM braking system on the 6: they are about as good as any stock brakes I have driven on. But, as I near pad replacement time, I have been looking into options. I may just go with stock Mazda replacement pads, but I want that to be an informed choice. Obviously, the Akebono proACT Ceramics are worth looking into, and nobody has anything but good comments about the Carbotech Bobcat pads, it seems. There is a lot of praise of Hawk for racing pads, but the street versions of Hawk get more mixed reviews, as do the EBC Greenstuff pads.

By the time I need replacement rotors, the Powerslot rotors for the Mazda6 may finally be sold by someone: right now, I wouldn't know where I could buy them. I have read complaints that the EBC rotors generate a lot of noise just cruising down the road, and I wonder if their performance outweighs that annoyance.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i am either going to deal with having to clean my rims weekly or order some hawk or another performance break brand ceramic pad.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i am either going to deal with having to clean my rims weekly or order some hawk or another performance break brand ceramic pad.
[/b]
By pure accident I found this trick that works wonderfully and that keeps 'em easy to clean with just the pass of the mitt & soap .... 'cause we do understand that brake dust 'clings' to wheels and we need elbow grease and special products to help remove it ..

I happened to run out of Meguiar's Hot Wheels for brake dust removal , for my Cobra's Clearcoated Silver mags , but I still wanted to get my tires done , so I went ahead with this new trial in my quest of a product with KleenFlow ArmaShine Tire Foam (green can) . Sprayed the tires , and with the overspray on to the mags I wiped it off and lo & behold the brake dust came off with it !!! :) and to booth gave the clearcoat a superb shine . I really was really impressed by the longevity of the product (much better than freakin' Gels) and the nice semi-luster (just right-not candy shine) ..... but the best surprise to me was how easily 3 long weeks later , all the brake dust came off with just the soapy mitt (much better than wax which melts with heat - this product is siliconed based-lasts much longer) My local shop wants me to order by the case (a passing /never to be seen again rep. had given me his leftover spray can .... gotta order some for my winter O.E. 6 mags 'cause my Chromies require another kind of care that works just as well with Eagle One Nano Cleaner/Polisher)

Finding a good performance brake pad (non track) that doesn't squeal and makes practically no dust , I,d like to know which also ! I thought hearing just good stuff 'bout the Hawks :( Where can we read and get informed more on this .... wait wait I'm starting here my reading on pads (I only have 7,000 kms so I have time to read) .... surely I'll find more on our forum .... but was wondering if there was other specialized links to look into ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts