Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
track day,

brand new hp+ pads, bedded in the day before. they had about 200 miles on them by the time i got to the track.
on the track, it was cool. until it started getting hot.

people said that me and my friend's rotors were glowing when coming in from the back straight. rotors start glowing at 1600+. i want to stop the car. i dont want to buy a bbk.

solutions?

i know im going to be running ducting here soon, and remove the backing plates from all of the rotors to increase airflow.
what about pads? should i run dedicated track pads? what about rotors?
or should i just stop diving so hard into the corners?

this was after 2 20 min track sessions. @ gingerman raceway. main stops are approx 90-95 down to 50-60. 2-3 per lap. plus other braking.

ideas?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
just wait til tomorrow, i will show u ur solution!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i want no BBK. in fact, bbk's arent bullet proof. had a friend in an s4, blow both of his calipers in a stoptech bbk with track pads.

same day. you could say that my brakes worked better than his in that respect. mine lived longer.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Get the new Carbotech XP16's, they are made for cars over 3000lbs running race tires.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
as i have said, track pads up front (hawk blus/blacks?) installed at the track, porterfield R4 track pad installed day before, and removed day after. remove front splash shields. ducting may not be needed.

At summit point, WVa, 135 to ~45 at turn 1, and 100 to 35 down hill at the chute. Only track pads survived up front (93rx7).

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i like the porterfield r4 suggestion. at least for the front.

what about rotor suggestion? just turn the stockers? are there any options for a better ventilating oem or slightly larger rotor? ( i heard the 06 oem is .5 inches larger in the front. worth it?)

i'd like to take pictures of my rotors for you to see kevin, tho i believe it was just because i overheated the pads.
so, i should keep the hp+ in the rear? i glazed the rear rotors as well.

also, does anyone have any idea where to buy the spring clips for the brake pads in the front?

mine seem to have gotten lost.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I would get the spring clips at the dealer, should run maybe $10-$15 IIRC.

I looked up the XP16's again and there operating temp is 250F - 2000F. I'm not sure what the Portfield pads operate at. Also the RX7 is a lot lighter than our cars.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Considering you've roasted those rotors/pads, your wheel bearings probably took some serious abuse.

I would think replacing/repacking your wheel bearings would be in order. I've seen pictures of what happens when wheel bearings start tearing-up the spindles/axles.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
How the hell were you heating up to those temps? Craziness, I don't think my brakes got that high last track day. I use the rotara pads and had no problems on them.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Something must be amiss for temps to be that hot! The brakes on my cars never reached that high @ Mid-Ohio, Beaver run or any of the other tracks I have run at. At these tracks we've run 4 25-30 minute sessions.

Hell, we ran a 55 minute session @ Road America in the Speed Protege and we never saw temps like that.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im not sure if they were 1600+ but thats what ive read when the rotors start glowing

might not be. but the rotors were glowing. i wasnt just dragging the brakes around the whole course, i was threshold braking for 20 mins. :) the main braking zones were 95-50 and that happened twice in a row each lap.

im probably going to remove my dust covers before i track the car again, but that probably wont be until spring.

im gonna get some thermal paint, and see what the deal is temp wise for my brakes.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
..... threshold braking for 20 mins. :) the main braking zones were 95-50 and that happened twice in a row each lap.
[/b]
If you are braking like in a race, you need full race brakes and fluids. Rotors start glowing at about 1200-1300F.

"I'm not sure what the Portfield pads operate at. Also the RX7 is a lot lighter than our cars"

R4 pads are hard core, $$$$$, convenient, and work. The braking I described dissipates 2.5X the velocity energy vs 95-50 ....... arch's 6S sedan would have to be 7500 lbs to match the energy absorbed by my 7 at sp turn 1. E=.5mv^2

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok then r4 it is. mental note to listen to kevin every time he says somthing.

now, just fronts? or all around?

im gonna hafta sell my intake for this... probably come spring or somthing. :)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HAHA!!!!! good thing those rotors arent made for the track!!!!! Durrr durrr..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts