Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Issue: 2017 Mazda6
When in reverse, I hear a single click everytime a depress the brake. When I let go of the brake and depress again, I hear another single click. What's the cause of this? Everything else is seems fine.
My cars still under warranty but if it's diagnosed as non-warranty item they'll charge me labour.

Sound seems to be coming from the outside of the car but i can hear in inside.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have this exact problem on my 2014 touring I have no idea what's causing this...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
My 2018 started doing something similar not too long ago at about 12k. I feel like it's the caliper, but I'm not really sure. Haven't had a lot of time to investigate. Nor does it really bug me, just an annoying sound.

As @amati5 helped me understand in a previous thread, maybe it's the caliper pins that need to be lubed? But who knows...

·
Registered
736 Posts
That one click sound is your brake pads moving forward when braking, it does so once it gets loose over time, happens on a lot of cars, some more noticeable than others. Try adding new shims to the pads if it's bothering you or ride it out till when you need new pads.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That one click sound is your brake pads moving forward when braking, it does so once it gets loose over time, happens on a lot of cars, some more noticeable than others. Try adding new shims to the pads if it's bothering you or ride it out till when you need new pads.
So it's not something that would hurt the car. Just a sound?

·
Registered
736 Posts
If your pads are still good, then yes will not hurt anything, It's the pads moving inside caliper. If it's constantly clicking when driving or braking then your pads are not seated correctly on the calipers, in that case remove and reinstall and make sure they are seated properly.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My 2018 started doing something similar not too long ago at about 12k. I feel like it's the caliper, but I'm not really sure. Haven't had a lot of time to investigate. Nor does it really bug me, just an annoying sound.

As @amati5 helped me understand in a previous thread, maybe it's the caliper pins that need to be lubed? But who knows...
My car has started doing this as well...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Its called "pad slap" and its the normal sound of the brake pads being moved by the rotor and contacting the caliper. There should be small spring clips to help absorb the energy and reduce the sound. Sometimes those clips get lost during brake repairs? Also, dirt, grease, salt, rust, etc. can collect and cause the pad to stick and release increasing the energy transfer and sound. Usually a good cleaning and lube will help with this.

Reactions: Bill_k and GTEyes

·
Registered
674 Posts
So just hit it with some brake clean and grease?

What I do every fall is remove the pads, caliper, and slide pins. I clean everything with brake clean and a brush. Then I grease the pins, backing plates, shims, and pad edges with brake grease...be careful not to get it on the friction material. Reassemble and I’m good for the winter. I found this helps a lot in high salt areas, where brake parts tend to rust, corrode, and seize up.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
What I do every fall is remove the pads, caliper, and slide pins. I clean everything with brake clean and a brush. Then I grease the pins, backing plates, shims, and pad edges with brake grease...be careful not to get it on the friction material. Reassemble and I’m good for the winter. I found this helps a lot in high salt areas, where brake parts tend to rust, corrode, and seize up.
I hope you can share exactly​ what particular products are you using. Just like this one I found but I haven't tried it yet:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80653-Silicone-Extreme-Lubricant/dp/B01MTNJ08Z[/ame]

It says, this is good for metal to metal and metal to rubber.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I hope you can share exactly​ what particular products are you using.
I use CRC brake clean in the red can (chlorinated) if I can find it.

For grease, I use these...CRC and Permatex brake grease. You DO NOT want to use any petroleum based grease (like axle or wheel bearing grease) as this will damage the rubber brake parts.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

Reactions: Garrett Smith

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My car is a 2017 with only 8000kms on it.
click only happens in reverse though...shouldn't i hear the click everytime i hit the brakes if it's a cleanliness problem or a loose spring, etc?

sounds like other ppl have the same problem as me....should i bring it into the dealer to check out?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Same issue. I back out of my parking spot every morning, and brake to change directions. This first braking in the morning, I hear the click. Consistently. Not later in the day, but I don't always have to back up later in the day.

It sounds like the pads settled into place to slow the car down in the forward direction all day. So when I change the direction the pads re-seat themselves the other way.

I asked the dealer to investigate and they said nothing looked wrong. Need to get my rotors evened out. Will probably have them look again when I get my pads replaced. Not a DIY kinda guy here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts