Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'm getting ready to head to the racetrack in a couple weeks to get some seat time (streets of willow springs), and i'm looking to upgrade my brake system a bit (last time at buttonwillow, i got some nice fade, and if i don't change anything, it'll probably get a lot worse at streets!!)

I'm currently looking at EBC Greenstuffs, altho reading the description, it says something about heavier vehicles might want to go to Redstuff pads... Opinions on these pads? compared against maybe the carbotech ax6's?

I'm also looking to do the techna-fit stainless brake lines (not sure if i'm doing that for sure yet).

Also, what's good brake fluid? I'm looking at Motul's DOT 5.1 brake fluid. Do you think that will suffice?

opinions/comments/suggestions?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
are you looking at pads to put in just for the track and then take out, or an all around pad?

lines will be good for better feel in combination with the fluid. though i think the pads will make the biggest difference to your issues of fade.

and streets sure does put a lot of stress on the brakes, so a fluid change might be good to be safe, motul is some good stuff.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm looking at streetable pads. i can change my pads everytime i go to the track... but i don't want to... yet :)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I would think pads lines and fluids would provide what your looking for, if your rotors have alot of wear however a new set might be in order, no sense in putting new pads on scored or channeled rotors.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my rotors look fine, so i'm not too worried about them. I was planning on getting them checked one way or another, so we shall see.

any experience with the greenstuff pads on the speed6?

·
Registered
99 Posts
IMHO I would go with something like ATE Super Blue (or Type 200). I have used it in my other car and it has done very well on a 90 degree, day long track session. This is on a course heavy on brakes as well (New Hampshire Int. Speedway road course). Also the ATE is less hygroscopic then the higher end Motul RBF 600 which has comparable but slightly higher boiling points. Because it attracts more water the Motul needs to be replaced much more often for slight gain in boiling temps over the ATE. Both are better then the Motul 5.1 though. Stainless lines are nice but you have to keep an eye on them for cracking and stress damage. These could potentially need to be replaced every year (maybe a little more) as well.

Sorry no experience with pads on the MS6. I have used Hawk HPS on my other car which are a nice compromise for a streetable pad which is aggressive enough for track use.

Good luck and have fun. Let us know how it goes!

EDIT:
Interesting info on brake fluid analysis. I guess the Motul RBF600 is much higher then I thought. But you'll pay for it. I think the ATE is still the best bang for the buck for high performance fluids.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/BrakeFluidComparison.html

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it's not so much the 60-0 that i'm worried about, it's more of the consistency of the brake feel (ok, i'll admit, 0-60 gain would be nice, but... our car brakes pretty well already =))

I'll look into the ATE super blue as well

THANKS!

·
Registered
220 Posts
it's not so much the 60-0 that i'm worried about, it's more of the consistency of the brake feel (ok, i'll admit, 0-60 gain would be nice, but... our car brakes pretty well already =))

I'll look into the ATE super blue as well

THANKS![/b]
True...but that number would be something I could quantify...I'll give the seat of the pants on consistency if I can, but there isn't a track open near me...sorry.

Wayne

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well remember if you are doing all this for the track its about braking consistency and fade resistance more then raw stopping power (although still important) in a couple of hard braking runs. Make sure you bleed well and bring some extra fluid to the track with you in case you encounter any trouble. After I changed by fluid and pads the first time the braking feel was slightly different which alarmed me at first but then I learned to trust it out on the track and braking power was consistent.

One cool thing I saw last time at the track was an IR thermometer which my instructor had. You just aim it at your rotors or fluid to get the temps. Cool gadget to have.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sweet, i just got a set of greenstuffs for $137 shipped (front and rear), ATE super blue, 4 liters for $50 (could have gotten cheaper, but opted for the place that was closer to me to reduce shipping time), and $100 for technafit lines from rpmstore. They could have been had a wee bit cheaper, but they support the forum, so i support them :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
sweet, i just got a set of greenstuffs for $137 shipped (front and rear), ATE super blue, 4 liters for $50 (could have gotten cheaper, but opted for the place that was closer to me to reduce shipping time), and $100 for technafit lines from rpmstore. They could have been had a wee bit cheaper, but they support the forum, so i support them :)[/b]
Great....going to pick up some fluid also....that's the biggest thing I see (as you guys probably do too) is that people will ignore the fluid and boil it, then blame the pads. Did you get the pads from Ken at Mazda3?

And yes, the IR gun for rotor, tire temps are great...will probably get that for a racing friend of mine.....he has just about every other toy but that one.

Wayne

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great....going to pick up some fluid also....that's the biggest thing I see (as you guys probably do too) is that people will ignore the fluid and boil it, then blame the pads. Did you get the pads from Ken at Mazda3?

And yes, the IR gun for rotor, tire temps are great...will probably get that for a racing friend of mine.....he has just about every other toy but that one.

Wayne[/b]
no, should i have gotten them from [email protected]? link to prices/sponsorship page/etc?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ordered the fronts from Ken, I had picked up the rears from a local speed shop before I found his site.

http://www.mazda6online.com/

Wayne[/b]

i guess i'll have to check back there next time... i got them cheaper elsewhere tho...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.