Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Shared componentry is quite common. I am very interested in this as well. Considering the Mazda parts bin costs are affordable and design is less complicated (coming/compared from German VW/Audi ownership)..for my part, I'll do some digging of my own on part # cross references, between these two Mazdas.

Hopefully, someone else more knowledgeable can chime in on this as well..some confirmation.

FYI, the Sport and Touring CX-9s has 18s rims...adequate enough space for these bigger 12.9/12.8 rotors to fit and work their magic (Grand Touring has 20 inchers).
I emailed Mazda in the My Mazda website about the fitment of CX-9/Speed6 rotors and calipers so hopefully I will get a reply soon.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Btw, I remember when I had my old Passat, some B5 owners slap bigger brake rotors/calipers (front and rears) from an Audi A8.

This made me think this morning..if the CX-9 brake calipers and bigger brake rotors (12.9in fronts/12.8in rears), can fit to our GJ Mazda6 cars (11.7in fronts/10.9in rears).

If it's doable and fits like a glove..that would be a very worthwhile and a great brake mod upgrade for our cars. At the same time, staying on OEM Mazda parts. :)
This is apples to oranges and precisely 30 years of better technology and engineering improvements between the cars, but I have seen many warnings from other early VW rabbit owners (77-84) that going from rear drum brakes in back and 9.4" rotors to 10.1" front rotors and 9.4" rear discs requires a bigger master cylinder and a different proportioning valve to regulate the brakes properly.

I would imagine that with the LIGHT YEARS of technology advancement between my 84 GTI and the 2014 6 that the electronics and ABS, etc. should probably handle the size difference in the brakes but I would certainly want to verify that before I made that kind of swap myself.

Just food for thought......

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
@Contradiction, I'm not about to pull hairs to figure out If the CX-9 brakes fits or not. Its my car anyways and I
can do whatever I want on it..and if it fits (after doing my homework), then well and good. Simple as that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
@Contradiction, I'm not about to pull hairs to figure out If the CX-9 brakes fits or not. Its my car anyways and I
can do whatever I want on it..and if it fits (after doing my homework), then well and good. Simple as that.
And I'd love to see you give it a try and give us feedback!

Just thinking out loud that I wonder if an increase in rotor size (and maybe caliper piston size?) would have any effect on how the braking system works and regulates itself.

·
Registered
497 Posts
And I'd love to see you give it a try and give us feedback!

Just thinking out loud that I wonder if an increase in rotor size (and maybe caliper piston size?) would have any effect on how the braking system works and regulates itself.
Do you think it would have any effect on the SCBS (Smart City Braking System)? or the other nannies? (Mazda Radar cruise Control) MRCC.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Seems like just a handful of us are really interested in upgrading the brake system. I made an inquiry to Mazda regarding the fitment of CX-9/Speed6 to our cars. Below is the dumb, corporate answer that I got from Mazda! Looks like we are on our own without any Mazda input.

Service Request Number 1-10626180

Thank you for contacting Mazda.

The 2014 Mazda6 is not available with a brake system upgrade option, nor would we be able to install the braking system for another model that is not designed for your vehicle. In addition, we do not recommend any type of modifications from the original manufacturer specifications as it could affect the safety, performance or operation of your vehicle. Modifications can potentially void the New Vehicle Limited Warranty as well. Please refer to your vehicle's warranty manual for more information relating to the terms of the warranty as it relates to modifications.

Should you have any additional questions or need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Fernando
Representative, Customer Experience
Mazda North American Operations
(800) 222-5500, X 1177
Select Prompt 6, then 2, Ext. 1177

[SR Number: 1-10626180]

I only asked the fitment and all Mazda has to say yes they fit or no they don't fit with caution that Mazda is not responsible for any modification done by me and doing it at my own risk. That's all, without those corporate mumble jumble!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Do you think it would have any effect on the SCBS (Smart City Braking System)? or the other nannies? (Mazda Radar cruise Control) MRCC.
Probably not.

So long as you change BOTH front and rear the proportioning should remain roughly the same. That's where the potential for trouble is, providing it all fits.

The "fits" issue, however, can be very real. There are people who swapped bits like this on the VWs but you can get into a mess fast if you need to change caliper brackets and such, and there can be problems with interference with the tone ring sensors for ABS and similar.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
@flash gordon, that is a standard response and I expected it from Mazda. Of course, they will tell you to install only the assigned part number (on whatever part) for that specific model...

With that said, I am not deterred and am still well interested in this. I'm in no rush anyways and expect the brakes to wear out, in my natural course of use. Quite likely around the time the B2B runs out (2 or so yrs)...DIY brakes are a sure bet. For now, I'll do my homework on the subject...and to swap my stock Mazda DOT3 brake fluid to DOT4 ATE SBR (that or Type 200 fluid; all Motive components had arrived for that fluid swap).

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Don't some of the new 6's have regenerative braking too? Not sure if that applies to anybody here, just thinking (no doubt doing a poor job of it too...)

Anyway, flash gordon you'd do better to contact Mazdaspeed Motorsports with questions like that if you want a serious answer. Contacting most of the Mazda public facing areas will only result in lawyer approved boiler plate "don't change anything or your screwed" type replies.

MSM may want you to be a member prior to dishing out good info, but since they actively race with the new mazda there is no doubt that some upgrade braking info is available.

You can also shop for parts for the models your interested in using, and compare parts specs. For example, specs on front rotors for the Speed6-

Outside Diameter (Inches): 12.59
Outside Diameter (Millimeters): 319.7
Height (Inches): 1.81
Height (Millimeters): 46.00
Thickness (Inches): 0.98
Thickness (Millimeters): 25.00
Bolt Pattern (Millimeters): 5x114.3
Hub Diameter (Millimeters): 67.1

Also, the mount holes for the Speed6 calipers are 157mm on center.

Something to consider, and that has been done already with the Speed6, is to poke around and find out what else is in the ball park for dimensions, but has the better quality parts you want- Speed6 owners have been modifying EVO's stock Brembo brakes to fit for years now. Minor hub caliper mount hole adjustment and a few minutes at a machine shop to open up the rotor hub bore ever so slightly & you're good to go...

You can also contact a company like Corksport who has recently released a caliper upgrade for the regular 6 & Speed6 that may get you in the ballpark-
CORKSPORT Mazdaspeed 6 Big Brake Caliper Kit

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
11 Participants
Miubhi
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing