Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mazda 6 2016 touring bought in 2015, driven mostly in the city to and from work or doing groceries. I live in DC. Its at 34k miles. Just replaced the brake pads, rotors, brake fluid and had the oil/filter change and tire rotation. Total came to be about $1,480 at the Ourisman mazda dealership. My family is making me feel awful that I got ripped off and that it shouldn’t have costed more than $700 in total.
The dealer mentioned lifetime warranty on the pads. Not sure what it covered but I thought it was a good deal. My brake pads and rotors needed to be replaced. Thats for sure because the car/steering would vibrate on braking on a highway and the brakes were not smooth and squealed alot.
I know alot of people will come at me here probably but anyone there to make me feel less dumb and awful for spending that much?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I know alot of people will come at me here probably but anyone there to make me feel less dumb and awful for spending that much?
Charge it to experience. We pay to learn. We send kids to school for them to learn and be educated. In exchange, we spend money for it.

There are times we also learn for free. Depending on the circumstances, we easily forget what we learned for free or not. If it took us a hard time doing something and later learn the trick on how to do it easily, we tend to remember it.

In a similar manner when we spent a lot of money and later learn that we have a better but cheaper alternative to do it, we become wary of how we spend our hard earned money.

So don't think much about it as you have learned your lesson, whatever it is.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Should have been $500 at most, they replaced the front rotors and pads, rears should have been fine.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Any way you could post the invoice here (maybe with your name cropped out)? I'd be really interested to see how they broke the charges down. No one likes dealerships but it sounds like you legitimately got price gouged. You can get quotes for the same work emailed from other dealerships in your state so you could take those back to this dealership and say, "hey, this is the going rate for this work, here's what you charged me and I'd like a refund before I take it up with the attorney general and Mazda corporate."

·
Registered
489 Posts
Any way you could post the invoice here (maybe with your name cropped out)? I'd be really interested to see how they broke the charges down. No one likes dealerships but it sounds like you legitimately got price gouged. You can get quotes for the same work emailed from other dealerships in your state so you could take those back to this dealership and say, "hey, this is the going rate for this work, here's what you charged me and I'd like a refund before I take it up with the attorney general and Mazda corporate."
+1 on all of this!! Also does the lifetime warranty on the pads cover the labor for it as well? A lot of "off the shelf" pads come with lifetime warranties but we have to do the labor ourselves. I'd be interested to see what they say about the labor being lifetime.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Hahaha on labor being "lifetime" -- never! :)

You definitely got gouged, but that's what flat-rate books do -- they allow for all sorts of fun and games that MAY be necessary, and if they are, then you win. But if not you lose. And the book is biased toward the dealer; they make their money in the shop and the financing kickbacks, not on the cars.

The "6" IS somewhat more expensive to do brakes on than a midsized or compact car, simply because the rotors cost more. I can do an axle on my Jetta for under $100 in parts. You'll never hit that number with the "6" nor should you expect to.

I'd love to see the invoice on that job; you paid full OE prices for the parts and then the shop labor rate off the flat-rate book -- that's for sure. Next time either do it yourself (it's not very hard) or find an independent place.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hahaha on labor being "lifetime" -- never! :)
Lol, I know better but was just curious as to what they ment by "lifetime" for those prices.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2014 6 GT and spent $225 via Amazon. At ~60K miles replaced 4 rotors and pads in Oct 2017 and they still working great 30K miles later. Did the work myself of course and no fluid change, yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a mazda 6 2016 touring bought in 2015, driven mostly in the city to and from work or doing groceries. I live in DC. Its at 34k miles. Just replaced the brake pads, rotors, brake fluid and had the oil/filter change and tire rotation. Total came to be about $1,480 at the Ourisman mazda dealership. My family is making me feel awful that I got ripped off and that it shouldn’t have costed more than $700 in total.
The dealer mentioned lifetime warranty on the pads. Not sure what it covered but I thought it was a good deal. My brake pads and rotors needed to be replaced. Thats for sure because the car/steering would vibrate on braking on a highway and the brakes were not smooth and squealed alot.
Go on RockAuto.com and look up the price of parts. OEM parts are much more expensive but recommended in my opinion.
$700? I doubt it. Rotors themselves are at least a $100 each.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Eh, Rock Auto shows an axle kit for ~100 or so and a full (all 4 wheels) kit for ~170 or so. Now that's not the better quality parts, just the basic stuff.

As for labor it takes me about 2 hours to do both axles, not including the jacking/jack-stand time. If you have a lift that's faster, in my garage it's obviously not. But a couple of hours is definitely a reasonable estimate, so $500 at an independent place for parts and labor for "basic" quality parts is about right.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I could see 1500 IF all the calipers were replaced as well
Why would you do that? I've never seen a vehicle at this sort of age profile that needed ALL calipers replaced. Now one that leaks when the piston is retracted because you didn't change the brake fluid (ever), after 10 years or so, yeah. That happens a lot. But we're talking about a vehicle here that's ~3 years old. HIGHLY unlikely that's a factor -- although you SHOULD change brake fluid every ~2 years or so, and in fact European vehicles have that on their maintenance schedule. It's cheap, fast, and a good way to NEVER need a new caliper (or master cylinder for that matter.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2014 6 GT and spent $225 via Amazon. At ~60K miles replaced 4 rotors and pads in Oct 2017 and they still working great 30K miles later. Did the work myself of course and no fluid change, yet.
I have a 2016 i6 touring want to do the pads front and back, I just got the car was looking for good DIY since i've never did mazda brakes before other cars yes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would and will was looking for insight i have found one descent you tube video dont look difficult i'll update when done
Never pay a shop or especially a dealer to do routine Mx, that goes for oil X or brake disc's and calibers its realitively easy just proper tools jack and stands

·
Registered
134 Posts
Has anyone tried mounting 2016+ CX-9 2 piston calipers to the 6 yet? I wanted to try it but I'll have to wait til next year. Hoping to find a wrecker set so it's not such a pricey experiment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts