Mazda 6 Forums banner

brake options for the ms6... pads/rotors/lines, etc...?

2K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Wiggum 
#1 ·
I just got back from the racetrack, and MAN it was awesome...

however, after doing many many brake-stands (and man, the stock brakes are pretty good)... my pads/rotors i noticed had ground down a bit, and braking hard now is not smooth anymore... there's even matching gaps in where the pad and the rotor meet in the rears... i'll take a pic sometime soon to show what i'm talking about...

but as far as options go for brakes...

does/is/will hawk make/making pads for the 'speed6? I ran hp+ in my fc3s, and they were MONEY... or maybe porterfields or ebc... anyone got any experience w/ upgraded pads on the speed6?

as far as rotors go... not really worried so much about rotors...

but does anyone make braided stainless brake lines for our cars?

thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Carbotech makes XP10 (track only pad's) for the MPS 6. Freaking incredible, you'll think your teeth are about to exit your jaw it bites so hard.

Will sound like a garbage truck/dump truck driving to the track though!

http://www.liteswap.com/Merchant2/merchant..._Code=mazda6pad

With track pad's, you'll be able to dive so deep into a corner that your instructor starts freaking out.

If you need fluid (heavily heavily recommended, it's almost critical, stock fluid goes to crap after a session or two)
http://www.liteswap.com/Merchant2/merchant...Code=brakefluid

If you buy through 6tech, it's about 5 dollars cheaper.

#3 ·
Carbotech makes XP10 (track only pad's) for the MPS 6. Freaking incredible, you'll think your teeth are about to exit your jaw it bites so hard.

With track pad's, you'll be able to dive so deep into a corner that your instructor starts freaking out.

If you need fluid (heavily heavily recommended, it's almost critical, stock fluid goes to crap after a session or two)

[/b]
thanks crossbow...

that sounds awesome... but something that i would have to take to the track and put on once i got there... not quite looking to go that hard, which was why i was asking about like the hawk's... i'm used to running hp+ on my street car...

WOW, i just noticed that those pads are 169+/set for the fronts!! yikes!!

as it was on the stock pads, i was going into the corners pretty deep, for at least the first 2-3 laps or so... the brakes on this car (i guess that would mean the stopping traction on the stock tires too) are pretty money...

but yeah, not quite looking for a setup that i'd have to change at the track and then change back when i go home...

no word on stainless lines? :D or "streetable" track pads?

how about instead of everyone worrying about mods that make you faster, how about mods that help you slow down faster? :) or am i the only one that cares about that stuff? hehe

#4 ·
Braking upgrades would be awesome... not so sure about those track only brakes on the street though... wonder what the downfalls are...

#5 ·
Braking upgrades would be awesome... not so sure about those track only brakes on the street though... wonder what the downfalls are...
[/b]
a lot of noise... and braking wouldn't feel as good until you got the pads warmed up a little bit, got them closer to their optimum temp range;

now if we got to do warm up laps on the street... hehe

edit: oh, and probably more brake dust... my hp+'s dusted like a mad mother f*cker!!

#6 ·
I just got back from the racetrack, and MAN it was awesome...

however, after doing many many brake-stands (and man, the stock brakes are pretty good)... my pads/rotors i noticed had ground down a bit, and braking hard now is not smooth anymore... there's even matching gaps in where the pad and the rotor meet in the rears... i'll take a pic sometime soon to show what i'm talking about...

but as far as options go for brakes...

does/is/will hawk make/making pads for the 'speed6? I ran hp+ in my fc3s, and they were MONEY... or maybe porterfields or ebc... anyone got any experience w/ upgraded pads on the speed6?

as far as rotors go... not really worried so much about rotors...

but does anyone make braided stainless brake lines for our cars?

thanks in advance!
[/b]
I don't know about track pads but I've used Porterfield before on my previous car. The carbon kavlar compound and they were great. They were strong, quiet and don't make an exponential shitload of dust.

#7 ·

[/b]

Just spent some time on the phone with Carbotech and I have an update :)...

They were sent some Speed6 pads from some "track guys" <--- I believe he was talking about the 3 Blue SCCA cars.... who were swapping the speed6 front brakes onto a regular 6....

What they got back from Carbotech was an Audi S4 brake pad... which fit perfectly interestingly enough....

For the rears, they fitted the same pads as the regular 6... which even with the larger rotors still uses the same pads...

While talking to Matt at Carbotech he said he had a "Street Pad" that he could sell, but he was reluctant to sell because he was unsure about the actual Speed6 brake hardware... i.e. if there are any clips etc..

So I am going to send him a brake diagram, if I can find it or if Crossbow can post it, and he is going to let me know if they will work...

He did mention the track pads *can* create a good bit of brake dust and noise...

Anyways... ill shoot him an e-mail when i find the diagram and keep everyone up to date :)

#8 ·
Diagram? Like the one I have in my catalog for the pads and hardware?

#9 ·
Diagram meaning those little pictures in workshop manuals... like if there is any piece that connects to the pad???

#10 ·
that'd be cool, if we could get pads for an s4 and just put them on our fronts...

thanks for the research, wiggum... just curious, what is it that you do during the day as work...? hehe

#11 ·
Ah...back to the old non-existant workshop manual...lol. Here's what I've got if it helps any.

Attachments

#13 ·
I know. ;)

#14 ·
That diagram looks just like my Contour SVT front and rear brakes. The pads look exactly the same. Now I will have to pull a wheel off this weekend and check. That would be funny if my two cars that are 8 years apart use the same brake calipers. Mazda shopping at the Ford parts bin?

#15 ·
97 Contour Front Pad diagram

Not showing a Mazda/Ford changeover on the part numers, but it is very possible its just not listed.

Attachments

#16 ·
You can wear track pads while driving to the track...heck I usually run them for a few weeks prior and after a track event. You just have to stop a bit harder the first few braking cycles in the morning, and they'll bite like standard pads, but make a god awful amount of noise.

The byproduct of track pads is dust, rotor wear, and excessive amounts of noise.

Let me try to give you an idea.

Here's a clean wheel.
http://www.fallentear.com/gallery/v/vir/fu...ageViewsIndex=1

Here's the same wheel after 1 track day with XP9's. (4 25 minute sessions)
http://www.fallentear.com/gallery/v/vir/fu...ageViewsIndex=1

Forgive the file size, damn gallery isn't resizing properly. Hope you have broadband!

#17 ·
The panther plus carbotech pads seem to be the street version, since they do say "the Panther Plus compound we offer is a streetable option with superior bite." on the website. They probably still squeek and make a shiznizzle load of dust, but heck, they must be a little bit better than the xp9's!

#19 ·
The Contour SVT is completely dofferent than the regular Contour. Has the same shape brake pad and the locking spring in front of the caliper as the MS6

#20 ·
Thats the only pic that comes up in the Ford parts catalog for a 97 Contour. Its only listing one set of pads.

#21 ·
Carbotech wont sell a street version for the Speed6 unless they find out for SURE about the hardware. Otherwise, people will complain that they make too much noise.

This is the reason why they do sell "track" options for the Speed6... because if youre on track, noise is not an issue :)

#22 ·
Carbotech wont sell a street version for the Speed6 unless they find out for SURE about the hardware. Otherwise, people will complain that they make too much noise.

This is the reason why they do sell "track" options for the Speed6... because if youre on track, noise is not an issue :)
[/b]
I've sent them two e-mails with the brake specs and hardware sheets... they haven't replied...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.