Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 2003 mz6, i am hearing brake moan after 43000 miles ( less than 3 years).
Dealer says brake pads are down to 10% and needs to be replaced.
Is this right?

I spoke to them about the TSB and they say this TSB doesn't apply since the brake pads are worn.

are they correct?

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Be happy you got 43k out of the pads and rotors and replace them.

You can inspect your own rotors (with a caliper) and pads (by looking in the top of the caliper) if you don't believe your dealer.

There is a fine line between a problem caused by a manufacturer defect, and a problem caused by a worn component. The brake TSB covers the problem if its due to the improperly designed components, not noises due to excessive wear.

You can try hoping from dealer to dealer to see if you can somehow get them to fullfill the TSB, but you're really pushing the line here.

The high mileage limit on the TSB is mainly for those cars which have reoccuring problems over the warranty period, not someone at 43k miles trying to exploit the TSB for free brake hardware.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If your dealer says they are down to 10%... they are probably due for replacement.

There are many choices out there for the 6 now including Carbotech Bobcat, Hawk HPS and Hawk Ceramics.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured just that Crossbow & tireswap. I have already gone ahead and ordered the Rotora H2 ceramics from RPM. Looks good to me. What are your opinions. I am mainly looking for better life and less brake dust (than OEM), alongwith good braking in daily use.

and btw, dealer is replacing the front rotors under warranty and will be charging me $89 for installing my Rotora H2 ceramic brake pads.

His quote for OEM was $219, and OEM Value-line was $159 installed

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Chikoo,

Is there anyway you can install the pads yourself? The process is really simple...especially if they are replacing the rotors at the same time. It would probably take you roughly 20 seconds if the caliper was already off. Still a nice deal on the rotors though.

For future reference, if you order carbotech front brake pads, you can also get a set of new front OE brake rotors for an additional 50 dollars!

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
allright.....

Dealer replaced the rotors under warranty
I gave him a pair of "Satisfied" Ceramic Pro VS brake pads to install, which he did (still charged me $69.99).

Initial feel: Solid. no squeaks or creaks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
chikoo
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing