Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanna know has anyone in australia had add lights to the two fake brake light,
so when you brake, all 4 lights, light up????
if so.. then how do u change it ?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Replying to Topic 'brake lights'

Originally posted by WhiteStallion

i wanna know has anyone in australia had add lights to the two fake brake light,  
so when you brake, all 4 lights, light up????
if so.. then how do u change it ?  [/b]
First off, I'm not in Australia (but I've been there as well) hehehe...

Anyway, I own an M6 in Singapore and have had the two dummy reflecters at the back done up. Filled them with 5 watt bulbs since 21 watt brake lights will be really too glary for the poor soul who's behind me. :) Basically, it all about wiring. You just need to get the bulb holder, cut a hole to fit the buld + holder in the fake light and wire it up tapping power from the outer set of lights.

On another note, the two fake lights are actually meant for rear foglights and are not brake lights.

Regards,

Vincent

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

how to tap the outter braking lights???
isnt its easier to tap it to the centre braking light ???
coz mine is a hatch back :D

·
Registered
148 Posts

It is a lot easier to tap from the brake light than from the outer lights. Mazda Singapore realized the lack of the inner lights makes the car look kinda funny so now, all the new Mazda 6s come with the attachment already done (my car was their experimental car).

You can tap the outer lights by running the wires through to the outside. If I'm not mistaken, there's a cluster of wires and a rubber wire tidy thingy that you can run your wires thru. But running the brake lights would mean that at night, the car would still kinda look funny coz of the lack of the inner lights lighting up when you turn on your headlights :) :p

·
Registered
136 Posts

Hey White Stallion,

I have enquired about this already, and every Mazda dealer I have spoken to says that it cannot be done - ie you cannot wire up the two red lights on the boot to become brake or tail lights.

If you get the job done, please, please, let me know

Ta.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I would like to utilize them as well...Please post any technical information discovered about the wiring.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Originally posted by MelbMaz6

Hey White Stallion,

I have enquired about this already, and every Mazda dealer I have spoken to says that it cannot be done - ie you cannot wire up the two red lights on the boot to become brake or tail lights.

If you get the job done, please, please, let me know

Ta.[/b]
The Mazda Dealer in Singapore has done it up for me to wire up my two red lights on the boot as tail lights. I'm gonna splice the brake light wire to get brake lights integrated into them as well. It can be done and it only cost me about US$25 to get it done in Singapore.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

I would like to utilize them as well...Please post any technical information discovered about the wiring.[/b]
You'll need to get the bulb holders (same as the ones for the outer red lights) and cut the inside of the boot reflector to get the bulb in there. I'll check out how they wired mine and let you know. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
148 Posts

Okay....here's some wiring details on the 6's tail lights.

On the outer-most light, there's a bulb holder. On that bulb holder are 3 wires. Look at the holder from the wire point of view,

1st (rightmost) wire from right - Black - Ground
2nd (centre) wire from right - Green + unknown color - Driving taillights
3rd (leftmost) wire - Green + black - Brake lights

You can just splice off these wires and run them through the rubber wire tidy thingy onto your bootlid and hook them up to the same type of bulb holder after you've cut a hole in the back of the fake taillight. I'll post pictures as soon as I can get my hands on the digital camera (it's X-Mas season so the cam's in high demand :p )

·
Registered
50 Posts

Don't you guys need to have a rear foglight? In Belgium mine is equipped with one, a second one is illegal, told my dealer...

·
Registered
148 Posts

There's no Fog in Singapore...only torrential monsoon rains...even then, it's not a legal requirement to have rear fogs. I think it's the same for Australia. I remember while I was there, my '94 Lancer GSR didn't have rear fogs either.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Re rear fog lights in Australia

We do not need rear fog lights here - only some imported cars have them (Hyundai Excel for instance). 99% of cars here do not have them ,and those that do have them do not use them or they are not connected :)

Front fog lights - thats a different story - we use them to make the car look nicer :)):p

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Both front and rear fog lights can be very useful. Wish they would release cars with rear fogs over here.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Both front and rear fog lights can be very useful.  Wish they would release cars with rear fogs over here.[/b]
Rear fog lights can also be very annoying - especially when people put them on when there's no fog and it's only raining, so not only the lights but also their reflections dazzle drivers behind.

Here in Germany, you are only allowed to put them on when there's actually fog and you can see no farther than 50 meters. This situation also implies a 50 km/h speed limit.

I do agree that they're very useful when there is indeed fog though :sarc

·
Registered
167 Posts

Fun mod to nail tailgaters...  :hoho[/b]
Now THAT is true, but giving the brake pedal a slight touch has worked for me many times as well :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

actually i wont mod the rear light anymorw because in Australia
the insurance will not cover it if any accient occur
and i would not like to risk it :(

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

James Bond uses a few gizmos that also are good against tailgaters. Clue: it involves rocket fuel and explosives...:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts