Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a toggle switch accessible to the driver that will disable the brake lights. (Because I'm an aspiring super-spy.)

My initial idea was to run a 14/2 plenum-grade wire from the fuse box under the hood (where the brake light fuse is) through the firewall to a switch mounted under the dash. But I can't see a clean way to get a wire through the firewall. Is there a good way to do that?

Or is there a way to locate and cut into the wire(s) feeding the brake lights under the driver side dash (without risking damage to the other scores of wires in the bundle that comes through the firewall)?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I don't think that you are going to get a lot of help with this. Disabling a safety feature on the car such as the brake lights is kind of a no no. Maybe if you went more in depth of the end goal and why you need to have a mod like this I'd be more inclined to help with the info. I can only think of 1 reason why I would need something like this and even for me, I wouldn't need it until I have made my own tail lights and the controllers that go along with them.

As far as running wires through the firewall, do you have a manual or automatic transmission? If you have an auto, there should be a white block off plate on the firewall behind the battery where the clutch petal would be. This is either taken out and drilled out to your liking or removed completely. This is plenty big enough for whatever one may need. You can always drill your own hole in the firewall as well.

Just as a fyi, before my battery relocation, I had a 4ga and 0/1ga wire running through a hole in the white plate. It was tight but both of them were just fine when I did the slight rewire.

·
Rally Racer
1,911 Posts
If it weren't illegal most would probably interrupt the signal from the pedal. That way you don't have to go through the firewall at all.
My mechanic friend (back in the early 90's) had this in his Prelude Si and it was wired to an alarm buzzer so every time he pressed the brakes with the light disabled it would buzz and remind him he was about to get rear-ended. His purposes were nefarious and not recommended.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts