Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 V6 Daily Driver 45000 miles is ready for front brakes. Rotors have worn A LOT!!!! More so than I'm used to seeing on Stock Vehicles. No one can tell me the Minimum thickness specification. AutoZone, AdvanceAuto, and a local independent don't carry front rotors and they don't have the specs. Also need confirmation of the stock OEM brake pad....Semi metallic or Ceramic. This is my wife's car, not my son's road course 300zx. I'm thinking Raybestos matched rotors and pads. Any help or constructive criticism would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
2003 V6 Daily Driver 45000 miles is ready for front brakes. Rotors have worn A LOT!!!! More so than I'm used to seeing on Stock Vehicles. No one can tell me the Minimum thickness specification. AutoZone, AdvanceAuto, and a local independent don't carry front rotors and they don't have the specs. Also need confirmation of the stock OEM brake pad....Semi metallic or Ceramic. This is my wife's car, not my son's road course 300zx. I'm thinking Raybestos matched rotors and pads. Any help or constructive criticism would be appreciated. [/b]
I don't have 2003 info, but my 2006 Mazda6 shop manual has the following specs:

Front Rotor min. thickness: 23 mm

Rear Rotor min. thickness (AJ engine - which is the V6) 8 mm

they also list specs for minimum thickness after machining using a brake lathe on-vehicle

Front: 23.8 mm
Rear: 8.8 mm

I have no idea why the numbers are different, but that's what the factory shop manual for 2006 says.

Also, stay far away from Autozone rotors, and if they're some unknown house brand the same goes for Advance and anyone else.
There are vendor sponsors on this site like Revolution Performance that sell rotors and several brands of good pads for very competitive prices. Despite what some others might also lead you to believe, you do NOT need or want drilled rotors, you really dont need slotted ones either, but if you must choose between the two the slotted are a wiser choice. For normal street and the occasional high performance outing, the regular plain rotors will serve you just fine.
I don't see any mention of pad material in the manual but I'm fairly certain they're a semi-metalic type of pad. The newer carbon-metalic pads are a good choice, companies like Hawk and EBC make excellent versions of them. The ceramic pads are a more recent offering, their main claim to fame being very low dusting. **any** pad is going to give off some dust, just some more than others. The OEM pads seem especially bad with dusting.
Raybestos is also a very good company, you won't go wrong with their stuff.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
2003 V6 Daily Driver 45000 miles is ready for front brakes. Rotors have worn A LOT!!!! More so than I'm used to seeing on Stock Vehicles. No one can tell me the Minimum thickness specification. AutoZone, AdvanceAuto, and a local independent don't carry front rotors and they don't have the specs. Also need confirmation of the stock OEM brake pad....Semi metallic or Ceramic. This is my wife's car, not my son's road course 300zx. I'm thinking Raybestos matched rotors and pads. Any help or constructive criticism would be appreciated.
[/b]
ROTORS: I have done more research than the topic deserves, and have come to the same conclusion that you have come to, that the Raybestos rotors are the pick of the litter. Among aftermarket rotors for the Mazda6, only Raybestos and ACDelco are D3EA certified. You can get Raybestos rotors online from Auto Parts Warehouse or Parts America; you can get ACDelco rotors for the Mazda6 from Rock Auto in Wisconsin.

PADS: Many of the postings on this site about pads emphasize pads suitable for occasional track use; many of those pads need a couple stops to get warmed up, and can be a bit scary on cold mornings until the pads get warm. Among the daily driver-suitable pads, I personally have been wavering between two choices: (1) the Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, available online from site sponsor Rosenthal Mazda, which are a very safe choice: low NVH (noise, vibration, harshness), long-wearing, rotor-friendly, and low-dusting; or (2) PBR (same as Axxis) Ultimate (not to be confused with Axxis/PBR Deluxe, a completely different product), which are more aggressive, quicker wearing, and less rotor-friendly, but which have legendary "pedal feel." The only source of which I am aware for the PBR Ultimates is Auto Parts Warehouse.

For forther information, read all six pages of postings on this forum, paying special attention to the posts by a guy who posts under the screen name "tedium." For even more information, look at this thread.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
ROTORS: I have done more research than the topic deserves, and have come to the same conclusion that you have come to, that the Raybestos rotors are the pick of the litter. Among aftermarket rotors for the Mazda6, only Raybestos and ACDelco are D3EA certified. You can get Raybestos rotors online from Auto Parts Warehouse or Parts America; you can get ACDelco rotors for the Mazda6 from Rock Auto in Wisconsin.

PADS: Many of the postings on this site about pads emphasize pads suitable for occasional track use; many of those pads need a couple stops to get warmed up, and can be a bit scary on cold mornings until the pads get warm. Among the daily driver-suitable pads, I personally have been wavering between two choices: (1) the Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, available online from site sponsor Rosenthal Mazda, which are a very safe choice: low NVH (noise, vibration, harshness), long-wearing, rotor-friendly, and low-dusting; or (2) PBR (same as Axxis) Ultimate (not to be confused with Axxis/PBR Deluxe, a completely different product), which are more aggressive, quicker wearing, and less rotor-friendly, but which have legendary "pedal feel." The only source of which I am aware for the PBR Ultimates is Auto Parts Warehouse.

For forther information, read all six pages of postings on this forum, paying special attention to the posts by a guy who posts under the screen name "tedium." For even more information, look at this thread. [/b]
an we're probably overlooking that this is the wife's daily driver, doubtful she's gonna be running to the track with it.! :)

There are indeed pads that need warming up to stop well, but the Hawk HP-S and EBC Greenstuff's are good street pads that can stand limited high performance use.
I would again caution against most "house brand" pads, especially the Duralast (or Durajunk as the employees call them) brand sold by AutoZone. They're about as bad as their rotors.
I'll add my vote for the Raybestos stuff as well, they've been in the business for a long time and they get it right.
I'm wondering if AC Delco really manufacturers their own rotors for import brands like Mazda. I know in some non-GM cases they simply re-brand other manufacturer's parts.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
and although doubtful she is running track with these pads, i just want to set the record straight, the hawk hps's have the same lower operating temperature of the hp+, of which i have run at the track ( although not as well as i had hoped.)

im with dennisW on most of this. im a bit drunk.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
im with dennisW on most of this. im a bit drunk. [/b]
glad to see I'm not the only one sharing my most intermost secrets while under the influence.....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
an we're probably overlooking that this is the wife's daily driver, doubtful she's gonna be running to the track with it.!
[/b]
That was why I made the preliminary caution that many of the recommendations in this section of the forum are kind of track-biased. Crossbow. who is very knowledgable, made a wonderful contribution on this board comparing aftermarket pads, among which he liked the Carbotech Bobcats a lot, but a review I read elsewhere by somebody who bought and installed Bobcat pads said that the reviewer was unable to stop his vehicle backing out of his down-sloping driveway on cool mornings.

For those who do not get to reading both of the long threads I linked to in the earlier post, here is a salient quotation from Dave Zeckhausen of Zeckhausen Racing:
The dust produced by the Ultimate pads is somewhat less black than the dust produced by some factory pads, particularly those used by BMW. But your front wheels will still get more dusty with these pads than any of the "low dust" pads like Axxis D+, Hawk HPS, and Hawk Performance Ceramic. Axxis Ultimate is my favorite street pad, but it's not for you if dust reduction is one of your top priorities.

When you say "HPS Ceramic" you're confusing two low-dust pads made by Hawk. The Hawk HPS is a ferro-carbon compound and does not have any ceramic in it. The new (as of last year) Hawk Performance Ceramic is Hawk's latest low-dust offering and is positioned slightly higher than HPS in price, but slightly lower in performance. They're close enough to each other, however, that I wouldn't be surprised to the Performance Ceramic eventually replace the HPS.[/b]
The Axxis/PBR Ultimate and EBC GreenStuff are both promoted as Kevlar-ceramic formulations, BTW, but that does not necessarily mean that the formulations are similar, just that each has some Kevlar and some ceramic in the formulation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all. My front rotors are just above spec. Machining them will put them at or slightly below the min. I'll get the Raybestos rotors and semi metallic pads and go on with life. I've used RockAuto for a long time now and they have both listed on their site. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts