Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started my 2016 Mazda 6 in the morning and got a "brake fluid low" warning. I drove for about a block and the warning cleared itself. I checked the reservoir and it is indeed low. I will be adding DOT 3 fluid today. Does Mazda recommend anything specific here, or will any DOT 3 work? Are there differences I need to know about? I don't want to add the incorrect fluid.
It was also the first cold morning of the year. Could temperature have been a factor? I don't understand why the warning cleared itself. Is that normal? I would have expected it to clear only after adding fluid.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Was it an actual brake fluid, or just the brake light, for e-brake? Ive yet to see a car that has a both an e-brake AND fluid level indicator. DOT 3 is DOT 3.
The CR-V 98 has a parking light indicator. I got a warning light and I thought the handbrake is just dirty since it will go after some time. Once I checked the fluid, it was on the minimum level. After adding up, the light indicator totally disappeared.

It might be possible that it's the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The e-brake light came on and stayed on for about 10 minutes, then went out. However, I checked the Warning screen in the Maintenance section and had a "Brake Fluid Low" warning. Once the light went out, the warning cleared.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The e-brake light came on and stayed on for about 10 minutes, then went out. However, I checked the Warning screen in the Maintenance section and had a "Brake Fluid Low" warning. Once the light went out, the warning cleared.
Did you also have the wrench icon indicating an issue, or you just checked the screen in case? Also, you didnt say what year or trim level you have, im gonna guess a 3rd Gen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you also have the wrench icon indicating an issue, or you just checked the screen in case? Also, you didnt say what year or trim level you have, im gonna guess a 3rd Gen.
2016 Mazda 6 Touring. Is that 3rd Gen? No wrench. Just checked because the e-brake light was on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, that's a 3rd gen. I didn't knew there was a brake fluid level sensor in that car...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was surprised there was nothing attached to the reservoir cap. I'm used to seeing a float. I did get a warning flag but not sure where the sensor is located. I'm going to add fluid and keep an eye on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts