Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MS6 wheels are a bi*%h to clean :swearin: . Ive tried black magic wheel cleaner and dupont wheel cleaner. These are supposed to be spray and wash ... :laugh: nothing spray and wash about them. anybody have a good product that will assist in the cleaning and provention of the accumulation. ive heard of "brake dust shields"?? do these exsist and if so how do they work and will the affect performance? all response is appreciated!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
My MS6 wheels are a bi*%h to clean :swearin: . Ive tried black magic wheel cleaner and dupont wheel cleaner. These are supposed to be spray and wash ... :laugh: nothing spray and wash about them. anybody have a good product that will assist in the cleaning and provention of the accumulation. ive heard of "brake dust shields"?? do these exsist and if so how do they work and will the affect performance? all response is appreciated!
[/b]

Im not sure if they make upgraded brakes for the MS6 yet, but if its caked on that bad just clean the wheels more frequently, also when you clean your car and get those wheels looking nice, WAX them.. should make the dust easier to clean the next time around.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
There is no such thing as a "spray and hose" tire cleaner. However, there are products that simplify the cleaning to a wipe down without scrubbing.

My favorite is Duragloss All Wheel Cleaner, available at Car Quest Stores. I had two sets of crosslace wheels, and 20 spokes now... This stuff even took the harder caked SVT Contour brake dust off with simple wiping.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks people for the quick response... i know alot of the dust is from the brakes not being the best they can be.. looking into this now. but all the products i use do say "spray and rinse". i will look into the above mentioned product as well. any idea as to what wax to use and how to apply if i were to go this route???

o btw diva.... your product says "spray and rinse" :nana:

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedpr...iption.asp?9515

even says "simply spray and rinse"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mother's Powerball and Mr Clean erasers work great. The erasers still need a little elbow grease but use water with them if your rims are as bad as mine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mother's Powerball and Mr Clean erasers work great. The erasers still need a little elbow grease but use water with them if your rims are as bad as mine.
[/b]
I saw a product from Michelin, of all manufacturers, for a brake dust repellent. Never tried, quite frankly don't believe it! ~$10 I think...Never know!!!- Chip

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well I've never seen a bottle state that it's a pain in the ass to use or requires 15% more elbow grease than others. Everything says its the greatest thing since Chuck Norris but we all know that aint true.

·
Registered
412 Posts
All wheel cleaners say simply "spray and rinse!" and none of them are true.

I just have a pile of cotton rags, and I've used Teflon Wheel Cleaner and Meguiar's NXT wheel cleaner. Both work great at cleaning and keeping off break dust for longer, they have a good foaming action, and I've never had to pull out a brush, just two or three rounds of the cleaner and a cloth (three when its been a while since i did it, you really should clean your rims every weekend with the amount of breakdust a 6 generates with stock pads). Don't hose your wheels down first, the cleaner works best when it hits the breakdust straight, but hose them down between each spray of cleaner. And don't let the cleaner dry on the wheels.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I know it makes that claim. I don't make it.

I do believe in hosing the wheels first, as it removes excess dust. Then apply product, let set a minute, and use an old wash mitt and car shampoo bucket to wipe away the film and clumps of brake dust. Dry with an old cotton towel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok, does anyone have 18" stocker wheels? (Grand Touring pkg)
How do you cleen the back or inside of the wheel? The only way I can really see getting it done would be to remove from car!
I figured maybe someone has a trick to getting the insides clean.
Thanks-
Dane

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
You had to bring this thread back from the grave for this??? Yup, take the wheel off...

BTW, Welcome to the club...

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
You can do a touch-up between rotations by getting a stream of water in there, and also by taking the cloth between the spokes and behind them (like drying your back with a towel).

You won't get them truly clean without taking them off, though.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
i just use a sponge and soapy water. works great for me. I have to do it every 5 days but whatever cant do nothing about it unless you upgrade your pads.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Look into a nice dedicated wheel sealant. Wash and dry the wheels and add a couple coats of something like Poorboy's Wheel Sealant, a product called Wheel Wax or even a good paint sealant like Zaino. After that, your regular car wash soap and wash mitt (one used strictly on wheels) is all you should need.

Then, start looking into lower-dusting brake pads. I have no idea what is out there on the market in regards to those.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
14 Participants
Scott P
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing