Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello once again. as you can see I am new here. I have a M6 on order and will be in on may 5th. Its steel gray 6s, with sports package, bose, comfort, pretty much all options. Well, i am very anxious to get this car. all i do is think and dream about it!! so you will probably hear me ask some weird or stupid questions like this one here...I was just wondering how the brake dust was on the wheels. some cars leave brake dust on the wheels shortly after cleaning them. does the mazda 6's wheels stay pretty clean for awhile or do the wheels get dirty fast?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Reading Topic: brake dust problems??

The front brakes get dirty after about 2 seconds, and the back ones rarely need cleaning. I think someone said that they could get their rear wheels painted black, and they would match the front ones most of the time. :D

·
Registered
142 Posts

LOL yeah you could. I have to wash my wheels way too much

I am gonna replace my break pads soon with the organic pads, they leave almost no brake dust. My roommate has them on his eclipse and they never get dirty.
They cost a bit more, but i think its worth it

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replying to Topic 'brake dust problems??'

yeah, i detail cars for living. So i know all about dirty wheels and stuff. I just want to be prepared for the 6. I want to know everything about the car before it comes off the truck.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts

yup, my front wheels get dirty way too fast, when i get the extra cash new pads for me as well, dustless kind!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Originally posted by Mikesteelgrey

hello once again. as you can see I am new here. I have a M6 on order and will be in on may 5th. Its steel gray 6s, with sports package, bose, comfort, pretty much all options. Well, i am very anxious to get this car. all i do is think and dream about it!!  [/b]
Don't worry, when you get your car, we're not gonna hear from you for a few weeks because you'll be sitting in your car all the time, admiring the car, just whispering to yourself... zoom zoom...
:D

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

I know this guy that looked exactly like that zoom zoom kid when he was that age. He still kinda looks like him... :D

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

i allready downloaded that song and put it on a disc. So when i get the car i'm going to pop it right in and sing the whole way home :hoho

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Originally posted by Phrosted

The front brakes get dirty after about 2 seconds, and the back ones rarely need cleaning.  I think someone said that they could get their rear wheels painted black, and they would match the front ones most of the time.  :D[/b]
Yeah, that was me, Phrosted. :D I put that in the "complaints about your 6" thread. A while back, someone suggested waxing your wheels. That way you don't have to scrub them to get the brake dust off AND it won't attack the finish if you leave your wheels dirty too long. I'm gonna try that today. It's wash time!!

edit: I'll take my camera with me and do a before and after.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Kerosene in a spray bottle and a pressure washer - takes all of three minutes and my wheels are clean.

·
Registered
322 Posts

Eagle One car produts also have a great spray on wash off solution to brake dust. If you clean it once a week (or 2 maximum) then you usually don't have to even touch the wheel, just spray it on, wait a minute, and hose it off.

Also, if you use engine braking (either with manual, or activematic) you can save a lot of brake dust too. I find that reduces the amount of brake dust by about a factor of 5, because I only use the brakes to stop me from about 5km/h instead of 60km/h.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Originally posted by Arcanlaw

I'd rather replace my brake pads and not my transmission/clutch.[/b]

BAH!!! Motorcycles engine brake constantly and it has no ill effect on either the clutch or the tranny. If it were so bad for the car, it'd be in the manual as a 'do not'.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'brake dust problems??'

Yes, but aren't you talking about a manual gearbox with motorcycles? I think using your engine to break by shifting is hard on an automatic tranny, not so much a manual. However, with all the manumatics out there today, it probably is no longer a concern on autos either. Anyone want to sacrifice their tranny to find out? Even with a manual, I'll stick with the brake pedal. Pads are MUCH cheaper.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

I don't really plan on owning a car long enough to have to replace the tranny... :D

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Back in college I didn't have the luxury of a choice. In '95, my dad helped me out by paying for a tranny rebuild on my '88 Accord. Upwards of $1900. A year later, the tranny started going again. Needless to say, it was a shotty job. The service shop my father deals with did the work, but actually outsourced tranny rebuilds. I never went back to them again. Went to AAMCO the second time and, despite the $2300 price tag, my tranny on that accord, which I still have, has been strong ever since. Anyway, I've had my share of tranny rebuilds for a lifetime. Too expensive!!! I, too, will probably never own a car long enough for another.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts