Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this problem that occurs when I first move the car(forward or reverse) after it has been parked for say at least 15 minutes. Once I reach a certain speed, say 5-10 mph, I get this loud clunk from front of car. There is other noise that leads up to it, but its hard to describe, but it ends with the clunk. It only happens above some speed(5-10) and if my feet or off the brake. If I press gently on brake, and still accelerate, it won't make noise, no matter what speed(test up to 20), but as soon as I let off the brakes, the noise happens. It will only do this intially taking the car out, and won't happen again until its parked for alittle while.

This is only a 2010 Mazda 6i Touring with automatic. Took it to dealer twice, first time that saidi it was brake calipers releasing and normal, second time said they couldn't reproduce it, even though it happens to me 100% of time. I know its not normal, as I can feel the clunk, and its definitiely noticeable.

I thought maybe if someone here knew of problem, I could inform dealer to help get problem fixed. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Just make sure that the dealer and you note that you were in complaining of the issue EVERY time you go. Also, why can't you just take somebody from the dealership out with you?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Egierda @ Feb 4 2010, 09:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634733
Just make sure that the dealer and you note that you were in complaining of the issue EVERY time you go. Also, why can't you just take somebody from the dealership out with you?[/b]
The first time when they told me it was brake caliper, I was like no, and had the service manager ride with me. It made noise, and he seemed a bit perplexed so he told me to take it in again. I was having oil change like 2 weeks later, so bought it in, reminded him, but then he called me later and said they couldn't reproduce sound : ( They are documenting the problem though. Really don't like this dealership anymore. Bought car in when I first got it during to noisy steering wheel from "cancellation cam" going bad, so they replaced it, and its already making noise again like 3 months later : (

·
Registered
152 Posts
looks like to me that you got a good reason to start a fire..... if not then go above their heads and try to get the number for someone in mazda that has more authorization then them.... how could a new car be doing all this its insane you made a large purchase so demand what you need

·
Registered
55 Posts
sure it isn't the ABS pump? Shouldn't make a clunk noise at all and it should only be heard almost immediately after starting the engine, but you never know. The ABS pump goes through a test routine and if it is getting a faulty response from one of the sensors it could delay the pump test. Does the ABS or DSC light stay on for a while after starting?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (beachdog @ Feb 5 2010, 05:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1635108
sure it isn't the ABS pump? Shouldn't make a clunk noise at all and it should only be heard almost immediately after starting the engine, but you never know. The ABS pump goes through a test routine and if it is getting a faulty response from one of the sensors it could delay the pump test. Does the ABS or DSC light stay on for a while after starting?[/b]

It only makes noise once I start moving, and past some certain speed, without my foot on the brake. ABC or DSC light does not stay on.

I should be able to bring car back to dealer next week, hopefully they will find and fix problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took it too dealer today, they didnt know what it was. I took service manager out again to reproduce sound, we played around for a little bit making noise, realized it only has to sit seconds while off to reproduce sound.

Then took it home and realized it happens in neutral and with engine off.

Only happens when moving past some speed(about 5mph)
Happens whether in neutral(rolling down incline) or drive.
Happens whether engine is on or off.
Wont happen if my foot is on brake slightly(accelerating to speed with more gas)
Happens in drive or reverse
Only happens once, reset once vehicle is turned on or off.

So if engine is running, vehicle moves either direction some speed, makes noise. Wont make noise again until shut down (for even seconds).

Or if engine is already off, vehicle moves in neutral past some speed, makes noise, wont make noise until engine is turned on and shut off again.

Service manager is researching it for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sure it isn't the ABS pump? Shouldn't make a clunk noise at all and it should only be heard almost immediately after starting the engine, but you never know. The ABS pump goes through a test routine and if it is getting a faulty response from one of the sensors it could delay the pump test. Does the ABS or DSC light stay on for a while after starting?
I decided to some research online today, and I see lots of people complain about noise when first moving, very similar to what I am experiencing. I am almost convinced this is problem now. Apparently i happens automatically at some low speed, and it is not unusual to hear some mechanical noise. It is usually said that noise will okay most often after sitting all night.

My only concern now is why it makes noise every single time i turn the key, regardless how longs its been sitting.

Next time I bring it in, im going to see if they can induce the self test via some computer hookup, and see if noise is same.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
only happens while turning off the car? After a stop light it doesn't happen?

do you use the ebrake on the stops where it produces the sound, or doesn't matter?

can't you tell if it's front/rear? can someone walk outside and try to narrow it down?

if it's front, will it make a sound if the front is on jack stands and you press the gas? is it speed/load/weight shift that is going to produce the sound?

that's all the things i can think of off the top of my head. i know some bmw/rover issues with the ebrake that were thud type issues i believe. given the newer models use the rear drum ebrake now, not sure, just a thought.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
only happens while turning off the car? After a stop light it doesn't happen?
only will happen once after going to ignition, until power off and on again.

do you use the ebrake on the stops where it produces the sound, or doesn't matter?
dont use ebrake typically

can't you tell if it's front/rear? can someone walk outside and try to narrow it down?
definitely from front, with windows down it is quite noticable

if it's front, will it make a sound if the front is on jack stands and you press the gas? is it speed/load/weight shift that is going to produce the sound?
it has to be load issue, as in accell/decel/bumps produce noise

that's all the things i can think of off the top of my head. i know some bmw/rover issues with the ebrake that were thud type issues i believe. given the newer models use the rear drum ebrake now, not sure, just a thought.
Initially it seemed like just a single creak, now I can get multiple ones, like when i break hard, or accel hard, like something is creaking under pressure. It just seems like one of those things where at some point something is going to break.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Brake Problem Solved

Well I waited until I could duplicate the sound on demand before taking it to the dealer. Here is my issue. When I place the car in reverse and back up, I then apply gently brake pressure and hear some "clunks." Then I place the car in drive an move slowly forward about 15 feet and gently apply the brakes again and I head the "clunks." The clunks are in the front brakes only. Once I travel further they disappear all together until I put the car in reverse.

Back to the resolution. I took the car to the dealership and they took my car back. Within 10 minutes, I was summoned outside were the "head" mechanic was behind the wheel in my car and wanted to go for a ride. Before we left he told me that Mazda's brakes have small gaps between the pads and calipers where they are free to move. He further explained that they prevent the pads from sticking to the disk. Then he drove the car and duplicated the sound confirming his thought. Further he related that I was the second Mazda owner to bring the car in that day for the same reason. We drove back to the dealership and checked the pads and clips and related that all was well.

I guess this sound is normal for Mazda. I have never had a car make these noises before but I have never owned a Mazda before. I guess I will just need to get used to the sound.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I know what your talking about, thats normal, but thats definitely not my noise. I'm haven't taken it to dealer since regarding this noise, since it hasn't really changed. I'm still assuming its ABS pump self test noise which for some reasons happens everything I start my car. I'm pretty sure they can replicate the noise easily, by inducing a ABS self test via OBD interface, and might get around to it one day. It doesn't annoy me nearly as much as it used to though, but I defitely hear it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had same problem and is gone now. While going downhill first time in the morning, first i had to back up my car couple feet, then put on drive and while rolling downhill with steering wheel turn left, and slightly breaking - 1 clunk sound from the front. Took to dealers, they changed front break pads and sound's gone . I would never suspect break pads causing that, but it worked. Such a relief :) I hope it will work for You too.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Glad to hear it got fixed. I have the same problem and have been dealing with it for several months. Seems to happen when I park uphill for a prolonged period of time. When I back out I don't hear anything with the brakes, I put in into drive and when I reach my first stop, the "clunk" comes back. I'll take it to the dealers to get this resolved.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is this a loud metallic snap type noise? That is what I have been noticing -- particularly in the cold. Usually happens if car sits in extreme cold. I turn the key and there is a definite snapping noise. Today, drove all the way home and was pulling into garage on bumpy icy driveway -- stopped, and then when I released the brake, there it was. Sounds like something snaps. I've also experienced this once in warm weather after leaving the car sit for some time.

·
Registered
667 Posts
It's a metallic noise, but not a necessarily a snap. Its along the line of a "clunk". It's not that sharp of a sound such as a snap. Also the sound occurs when engaging the brake rather than releasing it. So yours might be some other issue. Try getting it checked out if it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds similar to the issue I have with my 07 Mazda 3. It is fairly quiet, so it took forever to get anyone to hear it. Eventually they said it is the A/C unit, even though it happens all year, whether heat, A/C, or none is on. I don't even notice it now, and it has been a couple years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts