Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 GS sedan with a 5spd. I’m planning on upgrading my brake hoses to the SS lines soon. Since the car has ABS, can I bleed the brakes the regular way; one person cracking open the bleeders; another person pumping the pedal or do I need to use a high end scan tool to cycle the ABS pump?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have a 2006 GS sedan with a 5spd. I’m planning on upgrading my brake hoses to the SS lines soon. Since the car has ABS, can I bleed the brakes the regular way; one person cracking open the bleeders; another person pumping the pedal or do I need to use a high end scan tool to cycle the ABS pump?
Regular old fashion way works just fine. If doing all I like to let it gravity bleed for a bit and then go 1 corner at a time. Either way works.

·
Registered
848 Posts
On other than a new car, stroking the master cylinder 'way past its normal travel range (with the in-car pumping action) is a recipe for a new master cylinder in a couple of weeks. The elastomer / seals get scored by the corroded bore of the master cylinder... and then they start to leak.

For me, either pressure bleed or vacuum bleed. I use the latter method. I never b*gger-up my master cylinders.

·
Rally Racer
2,268 Posts
What @Cdn17Sport6MT is right on.
I start the car and press the brakes down hard with the engine running. When the brake is at the lowest point I block it with a chunk of wood so the pedal cannot go any farther than it does during normal operation.
I then pull most of the old brake fluid out of the master cylinder reservoir with a syringe and and fill with fresh.
The procedure is to bleed the farthest brake from the master cylinder first then work your way towards the master cylinder one brake at a time. If there has been air introduced from the master cylinder it may be necessary to bleed the ABS modulator assembly first then proceed as usual.

Have fun with your new SS lines.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Help! I just replaced my front pads and rotors and installed the ss brake lines and after bleeding them,(2 person method) my pedal travel is further than before and there’s a little sponginess in it to. Any idea what it might be causing this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts