Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '03 6s with the manual transmission and when I would press on the brake pedal, the pedal would travel an excessive distance (below the gas pedal, made heel-toeing easy as a can of corn,) before the brakes would bite. When they finally would bite, the pedal felt firm but it didn't exactly install much confidence in the brakes.

I replaced the front pads with Hawk HPS and bled the brakes using a synthetic DOT 3/4 fluid. That didn't fix it, so I re-bled the brakes thinking I had screwed up. Still not fixed.

Explained this to a buddy of mine and he suggested adjusting the rod that is between the master cylinder and the brake pedal. (Letter C of attached diagram, thanks Crossbow, I stole it from one of your previous posts.) He said this was common on Ford trucks, the fire wall would deflect and bend from people slamming on the brakes.

I ended up adjusting it 3 1/2 turns before the pedal felt right under braking.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is this common for the 6? I have never had to do this on any other car I have owned.

Thanks.

[attachmentid=13246]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Is this ALL the time? or the first application?

What happens if you tap the brake pedal, then apply the brakes?"

It was all the time. I could pump the brakes up while standing still. Tapping didn't seem to help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
BHn6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing