Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give some advise on how to test if the BOV leaks or not. I have installed the HKS BOV and I have no gauge, is there any other simple to test it out?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Can someone give some advise on how to test if the BOV leaks or not. I have installed the HKS BOV and I have no gauge, is there any other simple to test it out?
[/b]
You can pressure test your whole intake. You'll need to make a pipe which fits on the turbo and creates a sealed environment. Add a tire valve stem to it and use a hand pump, or compressor if you must. Youll want to pump it up to ~17psi and see if it holds. Also listen for leaks.

This is a common way us turbo guys check for intake leaks when modding a car. Buy yourself a boost gauge though, it will normally tell you when something is going wrong.

If you need I can provide photos of the one I made for my Talon.

Jason

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your feedback Jason. I think the gauge become more impotant to me as I am wating for my CPE CAI to be delivered.

Btw, if the BOV leaks, how would it feel under hard acceleration? Is the engine still revving but the car not pulling hard?

·
Registered
998 Posts
If it leaks, you'll see a drop in boost. So, yes, it may not pull as hard. You may notice it, you may not, it's hard to say. Once you get a gauge, you'll see if it falls off or holds steady.

If the boost stays steady, but you can feel a drop off in power, the ecu could be pulling timing for some reason.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
jsehlms
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing