Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our parts department at work got the mazdaspeed CAI for the speed 6 today. My boss Jarrod, ordered the CP-e intake but his won't be in until next week. So I'm getting the mazdaspeed CAI and we'll ebay whichever sounds/performs worse. Can't wait for tomarrow morning so I can get it installed.

UPDATE:

PIC!!!!

I talked to the tech who installed Jarrod's CP-e xcel cold air intake and he said that was a bear to install. The mazdspeed CAI is a lot easier he told me.

·
Registered
721 Posts
is there a part # for this thing? I've never heard of a Mazdaspeed CAI for the MS6. What's the MSRP on it?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Ya I have not heard anything bout this, got picks and price>?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
You sure it wasn't the Mazdaseed CAI for the Mazda6? Mazdaspeed parts for the Mazda6 can get mixed up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You sure it wasn't the Mazdaseed CAI for the Mazda6? Mazdaspeed parts for the Mazda6 can get mixed up.
[/b]
I thought the same thing when I saw this the other day. Rosenthal Mazda's website is pretty specific that it is for the 2.3L turbo.

MazdaSpeed 6 CAI

If the picture is the actual unit, it really isn't so much a CAI as it is a short-ram. Which, I would imagine, would require some sort of heat shield or separation from the rest of the engine bay.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Actually, he's right, there is a part number for the Mazdaspeed6. I just pulled the Mazdaspeed Performance Accessories brochure i got at the dealership when i picked up the car, and in the Mazda6 section, it lists three different part numbers but only shows one picture.

"Cold Air Intake

Bring cold air from outside the engine compartment into the engine through mandrel bent, 2.5" diameter, polished and powder coated aluminum tubing. Designed for improved engine breathing, while re-using the stock MAF sensor. Kit includes washable and reusable conical filter.

2.3L I4 (non-turbo)......RAMS-8M-H07
3.0L V6.......................RAMS-8M-H08
MAZDASPEED6............RAMS-8M-H09"

BTW this was from a Canadian brochure, which is probably why part #'s don't match the website.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Just spoke to a dealer and confirmed the picture in the brochure is not for the speed6. No pics of the speed 6 unit have been released. They are on back order at Toronto Mazda and are expected to come in 5 days. with a Canadian list price of $539 and 20% off for Mazda6club members.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
We have a sponsor Montgomery Mazda that has posted great information on the MS6. Here is a thread you can keep an eye out for when items comes available. He's alway on top of things.

Montgomery Mazda

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's part number GRMS-8M-H32. It lists at $375. I got it installed today and it sounds AWESOME. You can hear the turbo sucking in air like crazy and the sound of the wastegate opening is amazing. It adds a little HP but the sound is worth the money. It's only loud when you're on it. With the windows up you only hear it when you let off the gas.

·
Registered
477 Posts
It's part number GRMS-8M-H32. It lists at $375. I got it installed today and it sounds AWESOME. You can hear the turbo sucking in air like crazy and the sound of the wastegate opening is amazing. It adds a little HP but the sound is worth the money. It's only loud when you're on it. With the windows up you only hear it when you let off the gas.
[/b]
Was the air filter a dry media type? (hint, hint)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was the air filter a dry media type? (hint, hint)
[/b]
I think so. It's a synthetic filter that says "DO NOT OIL".

My dad has a DV camcorder so I'll make a clip and have my brother encode it into downloadable.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that's ridiculous money for filter ($50 max) and a bent aluminum tube, worth maybe... oh $10...
[/b]
The sound it makes it f-ing worth every penny. I gotten quite a few looks from people driving with their windows down.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you can also take some pics of how it looks installed that would be awesome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
that's ridiculous money for filter ($50 max) and a bent aluminum tube, worth maybe... oh $10...[/b]
Go ahead and put an alumnium pipe with a 50 dollar filter on your car and see what happens.

Oh that's right, it'll idle erratically and throw check engine lights. Here's a repaste from anothe thread...since people seem to have no clue whatsoever how much research and development goes into a "pipe and filter".

As for the whole pipe + filter...I think you really need to sit back and do some research. I don't think you understand how much time and energy goes into the research and development of these products.

First off, comparing the PCM and electronics of a DSM to a Speed6 is roughly equivilant to comparing a graphing calculator to a personal computer.

Old car's are easy to work on. They don't have redundant system's, and you can easily fool the sensors into doing what you want. They also don't bitch and complain when you start adjusting settings. The entire Mazda lineup is under the CAN (Control Area Network) system, which is very fickle, doesn't take to tuning, and runs a serious of redundant checks on a variety of sensors to constantly thwart the tuning community.

All the old tricks won't work. All the old flashers won't work. Some piggy back's don't even work. You have to fight the car tooth and nail to get anything done. Tuners have been trying for the past 4 years to get anything, anything at all to fully work. Out of all the car's, only the 8 now actually has a decent tuning solution, the interceptor X. I suggest going to the 8 forums and checking out the interceptor X to learn about the complexity and troublesome nature of these car's ECU's.

To give you an answer of how the speed6 sensors check each other...Did you know the car had both a MAF, and MAP sensor? That it can still technically run with one of the two sensors damaged? Did you know that the MAP can override the maf signals if it thinks the MAF is out of range? (Or vice versa). This is just one tiny example of the type of redundancy in the system.

You are basing your argument on obsolete information. I'll try to dig up some articles on the various new technologies used in CAN vehicles. And if you think thats bad...wait till OBD-III comes out. (ug)

Here's some examples of the design that went into the CP-E intake.

Step 1:
The stock airbox/intake system is flowbenched while the stock maf is connected to a computer, so the signals can be monitored and logged.

Step 2:
The pipe layout is chosen to replace the stock airbox. This usually involves trying different bends to find the optimal solution. This can take anywhere from 5-20 pipes (if you bend and it doesn't work, you just lost the mandrel bender time, and the pipe material (have any idea how much a mandrel bender costs?).

Step 3:
With the layout found, different pipe diameters are found to maximize flow. (more pipes.

Step 4:
With the pipe design finalized, CP-E either works on adjusting the maf signals back to stock with the mafci system, or they...

Step 5:
Cnc/lathe machine a maf housing from alumnium to correct the maf signal back to stock levels. Surprisingly, this is alot harder then it sounds. First you've got to program the machines, and go through quite alot of material getting everything just right. In the case of the speed 6 intake, cnc'ing a perfect stock maf housing actually resulted in the signals being OFF stock. CP-E had to experiment to find just the right adapter to maintain the maf signal to stock specifications. As you may be aware, cnc time is both expensive, and incredibly time consuming.

Step 6:
With everything above done, now the sections have to be welded. Every single pipe. This takes an incredible amount of time. CP-E doesn't have machines to do welding, (Small manufacturer) they do it by hand. They could have just thrown in some cheap silicon hoses and cut down on the price, but they wanted to do it right.

Step 7:
CP-E then finds a manfacturer for the filters (Afe), and a manufacturer for the one silicon hose (just changed don't know who it is now), which is quite difficult considering the low volumes they deal in.

Step 8:
CP-E then takes the time to fully illustrate and ship color instructions with their products, so the customer is fully aware of the installation procedure.

Step 9:
All the parts are put together and shipped.

Hope that helps answer some of your questions. If you were closer by, I'd probably just have you go visit them, you'd be amazed at the amount of work that goes into what you think are rather simple pipes.

You can make an intake with a pipe and filter, just like you can make a boat with some twine and wood.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Most any CAI will give the same sound. In that respect, it is just a piece of pipe with a filter.

As far as getting the MAF signal just right to tweak the A/F curve without throwing a CEL... That's where the magic is, and that's where the value is. The premium quality that CP-E includes is an added touch.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
About this Discussion
76 Replies
33 Participants
Wiggum
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing