Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally did it after weeks of agonizing over the 6 or the Accord. I got the Lapis Blue 6i, sport package, leather, Bose, moonroof, ABS, and side airbags for $500 over invoice (thanks to Carsdirect.com). When I told them I wanted the internet price, the dealer scoffed at me, but he changed his mind in microseconds as I stepped out of the dealership door. Anyway, I am very happy with the car, but I already see lots of swirl marks and very fine scratches on the paint :( I can't believe those people who can't even wash cars properly. The salesperson was nice enough and will try to take care of it next time, but I don't know how good a job they can do buffing out the swirl marks.

My first impressions:

1. with 4 adults in the car, the peppy 4 cyliner engine had no problem moving down the road, but you can definitely hear the engine working.

2. Wind noise :( was louder than expected at highway speed (65 mph and above)...

3. Bose system sounds as good as advertised, but I will need to play with it to find the perfect setting. FM reception is crystal clear.

4. The leather seating is firm, but I do swish around a bit in cornering. I need to add some frictions to my butt I guess.

I will try to write more as I get to know my 6i. Hello everyone!

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Reading Topic: Bought it today!

Hello, and welcome here! :)

Yes, blue is a difficult color. Make sure to protect your paint soon. Either with something like Toughguard (like I did) or by using some better kind of wax.

·
Registered
341 Posts

Congrats on your new car, man! Nice choice in colors, hopefully your dealer can fix the swirl marks for you. And don't forget to have them remove any advertising they were doing from the back of your car when they do ;)

Joe

·
Registered
75 Posts

Edmunds says that the market value of these cars is actually a few bucks below invoice. At least for the one i entered which was a Steel grey 6S with Bose , Sport, no moonroof and cloth, 5spd M. I have on eon hold at a dealer and am heading there tommorow for a test drive. sticker is 23,465 I intend to offer him 21,600 (25 bucks under incoive according to edmunds). With 04's on the way I don't see why i should pay top dollar for an 03?

·
Registered
105 Posts

I highly doubt you'll get below invoice on a 6S with a 5-speed manual tranny. If anything, you'll probably be paying closer to the MSRP than the invoice. Those babies are pretty rare right now and if you don't budge, he could sell it off easily to someone else at a higher price.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Bought it today!'

Originally posted by oushi

I highly doubt you'll get below invoice on a 6S with a 5-speed manual tranny. If anything, you'll probably be paying closer to the MSRP than the invoice. Those babies are pretty rare right now and if you don't budge, he could sell it off easily to someone else at a higher price.[/b]
Yea, Edmunds doesn't gauge demand for the manual transmission in the TMV. Carsdirect lists sport manuals at MSRP, and non-sport manuals around 500 over, but there is some kind of "special pricing" listed on auto V6 on carsdirect that seems to reduce the price a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
468 Posts

congrats with the car!

one thing they failed to do..is put the 6 in a windtunnel...i hate noise at highway speeds and windy days..minimal complaints...but extremely happy with the car as a whole. it's a great car enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I wouldn't agree. Mine has very little wind noise. It has road noise, but not wind noise...

·
Registered
468 Posts

drive at highway speeds 65+ with 2 front windows down.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much. I've learned a lot from this board just in the last week along!

The problem I had with the dealership was the attitude from the sales manager. When I told him that I wanted invoice and then showed him the carsdirect price, he was incredulous and thought I was insulting him. He said the car is so rare and he is not going to sell it like the Honda Accord. He said he would not sell the car to anyone including carsdirect at $500 over invoice. I said fine, and had already left the door, he came rushing out and said let's make the deal.

It was upsetting to me that they still want to play this game rather than treating the customers with respect and trying to make an effort to bargain. If they rather let the car sit in the parking lot for another few months that's fine with me too. My advice is to ask for the internet manger or the fleet manager, and don't deal with the salesperson. Show them the internet price and make a deal. If you can't get the price you want, just sit tight and be patient.

The finance manager tried to sell me everything from Perma Plate to Lo Jack...I declined. They were definitely not giving me anything after I got the car for that price.

Regarding the noise issue, I think it's mostly wind noise, which ended up covering the engine noise and tire noise. But when I need to get new tires in the future, I'd definitely looking for something that's high performance rather than the snow-mud rated ones.

·
Registered
75 Posts

This is why the "rare" thing is BS where i live. Noone in NY/NJ buys manuals. Very few people around here would sacrafice the leather and moonroof too. Also, just for contacting them on the web, they offered me 500 off the car to start. With my 500 college grad rebate that is allready 1000 off. Also, I intend to make a stink that if this was the same car minus sport pack, id get 1750 off in rebates. If it's so rare and in so high demand, it would be sold.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Bought it today!'

Originally posted by White 6s

drive at highway speeds 65+ with 2 front windows down.[/b]
Well...I guess that's what ACC is for? ... :sarc

:D

·
Registered
126 Posts

Lez2Max, I have had similar problems with dealers doing that, too. In fact, I wish the Dodge dealer here sold Mazdas, because he was the only one who was completely up-front and honest with me. I test drove a Stratus, and as he did with the mini-van I bought from him, he showed me the invoice price (which matched Edmunds invoice); told me he'd need $300 above for profit (plus holdback, of course) and we'd have a deal. When he found a car with a dealer incentive, he told me about it up front and offered half of that to me. With the Stratus, he even was going to sell AT invoice to get the 2003 off the lot, plus there was a $2000 rebate. I just couldn't buy a Stratus, though.

I wish more dealers were like this. I'm sick of hearing about extra fees, add-ons, and the price changing as you get to the point of sale. My Mazda dealer was OK, but it took a long time to get the price I wanted, and I had to walk out the first night. But at least while signing the papers they didn't try to tack anything on at the signing.

Anyway, congrats to you and I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Hi Ozzie and Spiff,

Thanks a lot! Ozzie, are those OEM fog lights on your car? They look nice. Spiff, congrat on your car, too! We all can learn from our purchase experience.

Today I washed and waxed the car myself. I used turtle wax extreme cleaner wax, but the swirl marks are still there... I don't have professional expertise in removing swirl marks even though I've read a lot about Zaino.

I took it for another drive last night, and I guess the wind noise wasn't worse than the tire noise, but it's not bad for a $20000 car.

I will try to take some pics and show it here. Take care and happy Memorial Day!

·
Registered
47 Posts

Congrats!!! There is more wind noise in the Sport Package vehicles IMO. I drove an 6s with, and without. I noticed the difference. I also prefer the looks without it.

$500 over is a good price for a 6s. There are no more to be found where I live. Dealers have tons of i's.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Congrats!!! There is more wind noise in the Sport Package vehicles IMO. I drove an 6s with, and without. I noticed the difference. I also prefer the looks without it.

$500 over is a good price for a 6s. There are no more to be found where I live. Dealers have tons of i's.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Replying to Topic 'B

Originally posted by White 6s

drive at highway speeds 65+ with 2 front windows down.[/b]
Well duh... in any car if you have just 2 windows down the wind noise is going to be horrendous.

There is a little extra noise than I'd like from around the B pillars w/all windows down, but nothing much out of hte ordinary. Same goes for moon roof.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Replying to Topic 'B

Originally posted by Spiff

Lez2Max, I have had similar problems with dealers doing that, too.  In fact, I wish the Dodge dealer here sold Mazdas, because he was the only one who was completely up-front and honest with me. I test drove a Stratus, and as he did with the mini-van I bought from him, he showed me the invoice price (which matched Edmunds invoice); told me he'd need $300 above for profit (plus holdback, of course) and we'd have a deal.  When he found a car with a dealer incentive, he told me about it up front and offered half of that to me. With the Stratus, he even was going to sell AT invoice to get the 2003 off the lot, plus there was a $2000 rebate.  I just couldn't buy a Stratus, though.

I wish more dealers were like this.  I'm sick of hearing about extra fees, add-ons, and the price changing as you get to the point of sale.  My Mazda dealer was OK, but it took a long time to get the price I wanted, and I had to walk out the first night.  But at least while signing the papers they didn't try to tack anything on at the signing.

Anyway, congrats to you and I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine![/b]
Absolutely! I was intending on buying a Dodge Stratus RT coupe before the 6 hooked me, and the dealers were WONDERFUL. I still feel bad about not buying it. I am on both the Ford X-Plan / Mazda S-Plan (invoice); and the DaimlerChrysler Affiliate Rewards program (1% below invoice); so the Mazda dealers were being REALLY snippy to me. I walked into the Dodge dealership, they sat me down, pulled out their book, tallied up invoice price and then took 1% off, right in front of me. Period. No whining that they didn't want to give the cars up for cheap etc etc.

Meanwhile I had to go to 5 different Mazda dealers before I found one willing to sell me the car I wanted.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Bought it today!

Too bad Dodges are POS :sarc

1 - 20 of 20 Posts