Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I was changing my oil today and nothing out of the ordinary.

I got all the way to putting the new oil in, and I noticed DAMN I bought 10-30 royal purle instead of 5-30, and the stores are all closed...

So I didn't put the oil in.

Is it ok for my car to sit there overnight with no oil in it?????

BTW I was staring at oil bottles for about an hour, Is that royal purple stuff any good? It was that or mobil 1....And now I still have a choice.....

Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
it will be fine just over nite

both are great oils probley the two best you can buy

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
It's absolutely fine to sit there overnight. There still is enough oil on the internal parts being lubricated that you should not have an issue.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I SHOULD NOT RUN THE 10-30, correct?

What about running 10-30 for a FLUSH? I have like 3 boxes of mobil 1 red cap I got for free 10-30...I won 10 boxes in a raffle, been using it to flush my motorcycle engine.

I wouldn't drive with the red cap 10-30, just fill, run it for a few minutes, and then empty it....

If I could use the red cap 10-30 permanently ohhh man I'd have my oil for the next 3 changes already....

I could have swore I picked up the right one.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I SHOULD NOT RUN THE 10-30, correct?

What about running 10-30 for a FLUSH? I have like 3 boxes of mobil 1 red cap I got for free 10-30...I use it to flush my motorcycle engine.

I wouldn't drive with the red cap 10-30, just fill, run it for a few minutes, and then empty it....

If I could use the red cap 10-30 permanently ohhh man I'd have my oil for the next 3 changes already....

I could have swore I picked up the right one.

Thanks
[/b]

You wont have any issues at all if you run the 10-30. It might cost you a couple of HP, but it definatly wont hurt anything.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
I wouldn't personally for any significant mileage. Considering this is a turbo engine, you really need the right weight oil that can get 'thin' or 'thick' enough for the temps produced.

EDIT: Obviously, SS and I disagree and that's ok. I would check out www.bobistheoilguy.com for more opinions than my sorta-educated one!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You wont have any issues at all if you run the 10-30. It might cost you a couple of HP, but it definatly wont hurt anything.
[/b]
hehe thanks guys. The car needs all of it's HP though....Mabey it's just me, from being used to riding a 160hp, 450 lb motorcycle. I have to sell it unfortunately...

I'm gonna have to get at least a cai :)

I was just looking through the manual....And I think I'm going to stick with the 5-30, but I'll use the 10-30 to flush. You are right it shouldn't hurt a thing...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
hehe thanks guys. The car needs all of it's HP though....Mabey it's just me, from being used to riding a 160hp, 450 lb motorcycle. I have to sell it unfortunately...

I'm gonna have to get at least a cai :)

I was just looking through the manual....And I think I'm going to stick with the 5-30, but I'll use the 10-30 to flush. You are right it shouldn't hurt a thing...
[/b]
From what I've read, the main reason all the OEMs are swithching to the 5-20 and 5-30 oils is to help meet emissions requirments and bump the fuel economy up a little.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
From what I've read, the main reason all the OEMs are swithching to the 5-20 and 5-30 oils is to help meet emissions requirments and bump the fuel economy up a little.
[/b]
Absolutely correct, 5-20 is a lighter-weight oil and yeilds a *little* better mileage than the heavier 10-30 or 10-40 mixes. Hell they even recommended it for my 5.4 triton in the supercrew. All comes down to CAFE standards

1 - 11 of 11 Posts