Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while I was seriously considering replacing the pathetically underpowered BOSE subwoofer in my 6. I went to a local car audio shop for some advice on what to do about it and he gave me two optioins: a $100 one and a $500 dollar one. I could afford both because I'm 16 and worked for about 3 months over the summer and did not have to pay any bills :nana: But, being conscious of my money I decided to try the $100 opiton first: Dynamat, fatmat, edead...whatever you want to call it....SOUND DAMPENER. Anyways, I put one layer of edead v1se and one layer of fatmat on every surface possible in the trunk area and inside all four doors of my car. When I got in and cranked up the somewhat pathetic BOSE system, an immediate smile came onto my face. The $100 solution had worked and let me tell you...people have seriously thought I have had aftermarket subs in my car. The base is unbelievable. Now don't get me wrong, 2 12" subs would hit harder than the BOSE one but not $400 harder! Anyways, I just wanted to post this because when I was looking for some guidance on this issue, I was unable to find any testimonial type discussions to make me confident my money would be well spent.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hey if you like it great. If you did go the aftermarket direction then I don't think that $500 would even get you a good amp let alone the subs and box and wiring.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey if you like it great. If you did go the aftermarket direction then I don't think that $500 would even get you a good amp let alone the subs and box and wiring.
[/b]
haha yeah it will! Keep in mind that this $500 would go towards a mid-range sub setup. I agree with you though if you mean competition level equipment!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
well i guess you're partially right. if you want "bigger" bass, then you don't really have to spend much at all.

but if you want deeper or better bass, you're gonna have to drop some bones. i spent a few grand on mine, and its not competition worthy at all (2 memphis 12", 1100 rms amp, etc).

you also have to think that with bose, you have to replace the speakers (~300 for 2 sets of middle of the road stuf), you need a metra kit (~200), and a headunit (~300). plus your midrange subs and amp. and wires. and box.

edit:

dynamat is phat tho. did you just get the trunk done?

·
Registered
375 Posts
i would think that if you went a step beyond that and put a small brace on the area where your sub sits to make it more secure in the car you would get even better sound

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dynamat is phat tho. did you just get the trunk done?
[/b]
I did the trunk, all four doors, and the tweeter housing. The Bose system is much cleaner sounding than it was before. Also, the doors dont rattle at high volumes on a song w/ some base!

·
Registered
900 Posts
I can believe that. Honestly, except for a lack of good windows down cruisin' top end, I like the sound of mine. I had thought of getting some fiber board and enclosing my sub across the width of the rear shelf. I believe if I Dyna-mat it and then do that it would really hit. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had my bose amp and sub taken out. Had a JL 10 w3 installed in place of the bose sub (widened the hold abit) Did dynamat on the back deck along with building the box on the backdeck to keep my trunk space. Had a JL e1200 for the sub amp (under drivers seat) and a jl e4300 mids and highs amp to the bose speakers (under passenger seat). Also had a JL Cleansweep intalled up under the dash on the drivers side. My cleansweep knob and base boost knobs are hid in the ashtray. My whole system still looks stock and hits hard enough for me and also has a clean sound. All together I have spent about $1300 on it and im happy with it.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i hate when my doors rattle when i crank it up, thanks for this info i need to looks into it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the 5door so the sub is in where the spare is :huh: which sucks. I don't know if it's just me but when i had to take out my spare (cause of blowing a tire) and then just just put the sub back with out the spare in there the base sounds that it's got more kick to it. Like i said could have just been me but seams like with out the spare in there, it's still in my trunk just not in the little compartment, that the sub sounds better. Anyone else noticed this or am I just on crack :huh:

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
you're smoking something dbt3023. i got edead all over my trunk and the subwoofer still sounds like crap. the bass still isnt clean. the only thing good about the bose system is the flat signal that comes out of the HU. the rest of the stereo needs to go.

·
Registered
756 Posts
[/b]

if you are paying someone to do your stuff then 500 wont go very far, but if youre doing it yourself you could almost get your whole system for that.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
If you want better bass 500 is plenty. Not everyone has to drop 1000 dollars to have a good radio. Plenty o nutcases out there think they can hear every tiny distortion and they must spend big. But your in a car man, your gonna have road noise, and bad ambiance, just be happy...

·
Registered
470 Posts
How bad is the rattling in the Mazda 6s? I am thinking about replacing my BOSE with my other system that I have had for a long time. 2 JL 10', eclipse amp, kenwood amp, 4 door jl speakers, and Alpine HU. I was in circuit city the other day and saw some special for a 12' Solobaric L5 in box and a kicker amp that was like 750 X 1 RMS for $700 bucks i think. I am only worried about with that much bass that it will just sound like shit and rattle? I know i could dynamat it, but that be another 200 bucks which I do not have right now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For a while I was seriously considering replacing the pathetically underpowered BOSE subwoofer in my 6. I went to a local car audio shop for some advice on what to do about it and he gave me two optioins: a $100 one and a $500 dollar one. I could afford both because I'm 16 and worked for about 3 months over the summer and did not have to pay any bills :nana: But, being conscious of my money I decided to try the $100 opiton first: Dynamat, fatmat, edead...whatever you want to call it....SOUND DAMPENER. Anyways, I put one layer of edead v1se and one layer of fatmat on every surface possible in the trunk area and inside all four doors of my car. When I got in and cranked up the somewhat pathetic BOSE system, an immediate smile came onto my face. The $100 solution had worked and let me tell you...people have seriously thought I have had aftermarket subs in my car. The base is unbelievable. Now don't get me wrong, 2 12" subs would hit harder than the BOSE one but not $400 harder! Anyways, I just wanted to post this because when I was looking for some guidance on this issue, I was unable to find any testimonial type discussions to make me confident my money would be well spent.
[/b]
I have the Bose system too. The sub is not in an enclosure, but uses the trunk as an infinite baffle. What about replacing the stock sub with one of the same size in an enclosure designed for that particular sub? I think that'd tighten/deepen up the bass for a reasonable cost.

Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
62 Posts
How bad is the rattling in the Mazda 6s? I am thinking about replacing my BOSE with my other system that I have had for a long time. 2 JL 10', eclipse amp, kenwood amp, 4 door jl speakers, and Alpine HU. I was in circuit city the other day and saw some special for a 12' Solobaric L5 in box and a kicker amp that was like 750 X 1 RMS for $700 bucks i think. I am only worried about with that much bass that it will just sound like shit and rattle? I know i could dynamat it, but that be another 200 bucks which I do not have right now.
[/b]
yes, im thinkin about just getting subs and i was also wondering if it would rattle bad from the outside....

·
Registered
64 Posts
500 bucks is plenty of money to do an upgrade. If you live anywhere near a city there are plenty of audio show and sales that sell last year model stuff for dirt cheap if you have any haggling skills. Or you could do what I do, buy your stuff from the local crack heads. One tip though, don't buy anything that looks like something you've seen in a friends car. Just a tip.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
500 bucks is plenty of money to do an upgrade. If you live anywhere near a city there are plenty of audio show and sales that sell last year model stuff for dirt cheap if you have any haggling skills. Or you could do what I do, buy your stuff from the local crack heads. One tip though, don't buy anything that looks like something you've seen in a friends car. Just a tip.
[/b]
:laugh:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts