Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have installed a 2din unit, connected speaker wires as well as power and acc wires also the ground into the main harness but I have no sound. I assume I need to trigger the amp? Do I do this by linking another 12v acc wire to the system harness? I have a bose amp already on car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Some questions, what year is the Mazda 6? Did you use a wiring harness that attaches to the stock harness and then to the new radio? I would run a fresh ground wire for an aftermarket headunit personally.

In the 1st gen I didn’t have to piggyback off the harness for the amp, I believe it was powered on anytime the car wa son. If your Bose is similar to the 1st gen you also need to use the speaker signal wiring from the harness to the rca preouts on the new head unit.

In my 1st gen when I did this mod I had no sound at first, the solution was running a new power wire to a 12v acc (cig lighter) and clean the grounding area and retightened with an additional washer for more contact. Works great now, I’ll check back for a reply and try to get you jamming again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 2004 model 1st generation. So you are saying that I need to connect the signal wire in the main loom to what connection on the radio? The unit powers up and shows volume bars as if there is sound but I don, t actually have sound. I am sure it is something simple. Not sure if it is the car that needs the signal to kick into gear or the unit that needs to connect somehow. I have 8 speaker connections on the unit, an antenna power supply, 2 steering wheel wires, parking sensor wire, little lamp test wire (whatever that is) a 12v acc wire, 12v battery wire and ground. I used a connector block that plugs into the stock (car) harness but i had to connect to the units block. I checked and triple checked all connections are correct but there didnt seem to be an amp connection or trigger. The block I bought only had the pins for what I have connected.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Okay I didn’t use an aftermarket harness in mine because I retained the stock head unit bezel without a metra kit. The wires from the stock harness have 8 signal wires, those signal wires are not regular speaker wires. They are the wires that run to the Bose amp, which then run to the door speakers and Bose subwoofer amplifier. So they need to be wired to your rca outputs in the back of the new head unit. In your case the wires from your new aftermarket harness that are labeled as speaker wires, 4 positive and 4 negative for front right, front left, etc. can be where you splice the cables. You can order speaker to rca cables, adapters that you plug speaker wires into creating a right or left channel, or so what I did and make your own from speaker wire and any extra rca (red/white) audio cables around the house. I have mine hooked up accordingly in the rear of my deck as front and rear pairs. By doing this you are sending your head unit audio output signal to the Bose amp which then sends the signal to your stock speakers. IF the metra adapter somehow cancels the need for this( which I doubt) then ignore the above.

I also wired my new head unit ‘remote’ wire to the stock amp signal wire from the original harness to make sure the amp powers on with my head unit. Here is a picture of the stock harness with wire colors and labels for what you should be looking for.
1D4CD42C-8B6C-47E7-805C-242698701D03.jpeg

·
Registered
41 Posts
The main point here is that the stock harness doesn’t put out regular speaker signal. In most cases people have reported that wiring the Bose signal wires directly to the head unit speaker wiring will work, but it’s actually too loud and you can hardly adjust the volume without risking damaging the speakers. So more than likely your issue is the amp not turning on or the amp not receiving its signal from those stock Bose wires

·
Registered
11 Posts
Unfortunately you will have to do some doctoring. The original head unit only puts out signal. I believe it was 2.5v, which is signal not sound. You will have to use the head unit pre-amp outputs. OR get a handy dandy line out converter. Not the prettiest but it works.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yep that remote turn on for the amp, nice! Glad you got it figured out. This Bose system is a pita 😬

1 - 11 of 11 Posts