Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read so many posts about installing an aftermarket subwoofer and amplifier using the factory head unit and I am still unsure whether to use a line converter box and tap into the bose amp under the passenger seat or if I should splice the wires at the sub in the trunk and use the 2-female to 1-male RCA cable, someone please give me their final input on this and help me decide which route to take!

1. Line output converter box?

2. RCA cables spliced and tapped into the subwoofer?

3. Any other option to provide the best quality sound out of the speakers and the sub/amp?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
don't use the LOC if you have bose. tap either under the seat, or at the sub amp like you mentioned. i've done a couple at the bose sub harness and it worked great. it's very easy if you use the splitter. for the splitter, one more recommention: extend the wires on the chopped of male end about three inches to make it easier to tap.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't use the LOC if you have bose. tap either under the seat, or at the sub amp like you mentioned. i've done a couple at the bose sub harness and it worked great. it's very easy if you use the splitter. for the splitter, one more recommention: extend the wires on the chopped of male end about three inches to make it easier to tap.
[/b]
The only splitters I've seen are only 6" long, is that long enough? Also, can you help clarify the how-to split at the sub because that is the option I'd like to go with.

·
Registered
399 Posts
For best sound, tap the rear signal coming off of the headunit either at the back of the headunit or at the Bose amp on the input. That signal is essentially a pre-amp signal and won't be subject to the nasty EQ that Bose has used.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
For best sound, tap the rear signal coming off of the headunit either at the back of the headunit or at the Bose amp on the input. That signal is essentially a pre-amp signal and won't be subject to the nasty EQ that Bose has used.
[/b]
DITTO!
I have had problems with tapping the sub signal in the trunk, maybe because of the output voltage. I definately recomend taking the small amount of extra time nessecarry to run the signal from the harness under the seat. This source is dead flat at all volumes, and I measured it at @ 2volts.
I would also reccomend running a dedicated power line from the battery up the drivers side of the car.

Also even low cost replacement door speakers AND amp will sound much better than stock and give you the ability to crossover the bass freq to the speaker best capable of handling it. I was horrified when I removed these pcs and discoverd how cheaply made they were. Ther is enough room under the passenger seat for a smaller amp.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DITTO!
I have had problems with tapping the sub signal in the trunk, maybe because of the output voltage. I definately recomend taking the small amount of extra time nessecarry to run the signal from the harness under the seat. This source is dead flat at all volumes, and I measured it at @ 2volts.
I would also reccomend running a dedicated power line from the battery up the drivers side of the car.

Also even low cost replacement door speakers AND amp will sound much better than stock and give you the ability to crossover the bass freq to the speaker best capable of handling it. I was horrified when I removed these pcs and discoverd how cheaply made they were. Ther is enough room under the passenger seat for a smaller amp.
[/b]
Forgive me guys, but I am a novice at doing my own car stereo installation and although I am familiar with running power wires and hooking up things like that, how exactly would I go about tapping into the amp harness under the passenger seat. I know that I need a 2 female, 1 male RCA cable, but more specifically, what wires attach to the RCA cable from the amp under the seat?

·
Registered
399 Posts
There is a sticky in this section that lists all of the pin outs for the plug at the Bose amplifier.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=436418

You will need to tap 4 cables at the bose harness.

Right Rear +
Right Rear -
Left Rear +
Left Rear -

Make sure that you are tapping the input wires to be sure you are getting a pre-amp signal that hasn't had any EQ applied.

You will also need to tap the remote turn on wire at the BOSE amp harness, and run a power wire up the driver side to wherever you put your sub amp. If it's small it will fit under the driver's seat (assuming you leave the rest of the system as is) Otherwise run it to someplace in the trunk.

Run an RCA cable to your amp and you are set.

There are some pictures of what I did in my on-going stereo install log.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=56929

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a sticky in this section that lists all of the pin outs for the plug at the Bose amplifier.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=436418

You will need to tap 4 cables at the bose harness.

Right Rear +
Right Rear -
Left Rear +
Left Rear -

Make sure that you are tapping the input wires to be sure you are getting a pre-amp signal that hasn't had any EQ applied.

You will also need to tap the remote turn on wire at the BOSE amp harness, and run a power wire up the driver side to wherever you put your sub amp. If it's small it will fit under the driver's seat (assuming you leave the rest of the system as is) Otherwise run it to someplace in the trunk.

Run an RCA cable to your amp and you are set.

There are some pictures of what I did in my on-going stereo install log.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=56929
[/b]
I can see the amp under the passenger seat but I was wondering if the seat needs to be removed to tap into the bose harness at the amplifier under the seat?

Do the wires that I am tapping into need to be cut and twisted together or can they just be stripped back and attached then covered with some electrical tape?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hey guys,

I was trying to figure out how to do my install of 2 amps, subs, Alpine HU, and 4 speakers on my BOSE system. I was a little worried about running all new speaker wires to the doors and having the trouble of putting doors back together and what not and was thinking of jus putting my eclipse 4-channel under the dirvers seat, in place of the BOSE 4-channel. WOuld that work, since you will already have all 4 speaker wire ends right there that were used for the BOSE system, but I could jus switch the speakers out and the AMP out for my stuff and it will be all good? Of course I would run the amp up to my RCA pre-outs on my alpine which would be a heck of alot closer now.

The only problem I can think of is overheating? I think it is like 4x50w amp, so I am thinking the heating may not be too bad??? I really hope no one can think of any problems with this, it would save a heck alot of trouble for me....

·
Registered
399 Posts
I can see the amp under the passenger seat but I was wondering if the seat needs to be removed to tap into the bose harness at the amplifier under the seat?

Do the wires that I am tapping into need to be cut and twisted together or can they just be stripped back and attached then covered with some electrical tape? [/b]

For question 1, YES, the passenger seat needs to be removed. It's not as bad as you may think, and technically you don't have to take it all the way out of the car. Just remove the 4 bolts holding it down and tilt it back so it's leaning against the back seat. That should give you enough room to work with the wiring harness.

REMEMBER, anytime you are working with stuff like this, disconnect the negative post on the battery before removing the seat or working on the wiring. Part of removing the seat is unplugging the air bag sensors under the seat.

For question 2, You can do it however you want. I chose to cut my wires to splice in my RCA's If you so choose you can use a tap. Whatever you do, solder the connections, do not just twist the wires together or try to use crimp connectors. The leads in an RCA cable are very find and I wouldn't trust a crimp connector to hold it.

Hey guys,

I was trying to figure out how to do my install of 2 amps, subs, Alpine HU, and 4 speakers on my BOSE system. I was a little worried about running all new speaker wires to the doors and having the trouble of putting doors back together and what not and was thinking of jus putting my eclipse 4-channel under the dirvers seat, in place of the BOSE 4-channel. WOuld that work, since you will already have all 4 speaker wire ends right there that were used for the BOSE system, but I could jus switch the speakers out and the AMP out for my stuff and it will be all good? Of course I would run the amp up to my RCA pre-outs on my alpine which would be a heck of alot closer now.

The only problem I can think of is overheating? I think it is like 4x50w amp, so I am thinking the heating may not be too bad??? I really hope no one can think of any problems with this, it would save a heck alot of trouble for me.... [/b]
Yes. As long as the amp physically fits under the seat there is no reason that you couldn't put it there. Remember the BOSE amp is under the passenger seat, not the driver's seat.

Just run the pre-outs from your Alpine to under the seat into the amp, and then run speaker cable from your amp to the appropriate wires in the BOSE harness to get powered signal to your newly installed door speakers.

I have had many amps under the seat in vehicles I have owned overheating shouldn't be a problem in this case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts