Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone blown their sub? I am pretty sure mine is busted but I've only had the car for a year and I don't put the volume above 15 with the bass to +6. Is this a faulty sub or is this totally my fault?

·
Registered
219 Posts
After installing this device : Audio Link USB MP3 Player Integration Kit for Mazda I find the bass really improve heaps eventhough it is playing in MP3 format. The way this device decodes the sound really better than the factory cd player. Recommend anyone interested in improving the sound investing in one of this.
[/b]
This also sounds very strange. CD players are not rocket sience anymore, and there is possible to build a decent cd player for very little money. I'm quite sure the cd players used in the Bose system is good enough, it reproduces the information recorded on a CD very accurately. I can't believe that sound quality could be improved by swithing the sound source from the cd player to a Mp3 player. However there is possible that some(or many) people prefer the sound from the MP3 player, because it could color the sound in many ways.

I'm not impressed at all by the Bose system. I think they have chosen wrong crossover frequncys, they allows the front and rear spekers to play to low (in Hz) and thus creating distortion. I think they should have used better quality speakers if they wanted to use that crossover frequencys. The sound is't impressive at all in any way. There is possible to build a better sounding system for very little money. But, the installation is very clean, and I love the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Haven't posted in a real long time on this issue... for those who are interested, visit this old thread

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=18147

It talks about using capacitors for removing bass frequencies from the stock speakers to allow the sub to push more bass.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Haven't posted in a real long time on this issue... for those who are interested, visit this old thread

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=18147

It talks about using capacitors for removing bass frequencies from the stock speakers to allow the sub to push more bass.
[/b]

wow that thread was tiring to read, lol. lots of bickering and "teach a man to fish" posting. anyway, it seems like the topic died off last year but i just spoke to another engineering here at work who also does audio install, and he says using non polarized caps for ac is a decent way to filter out some bass-midbass from door speakers.

i think taking a fair amount of bass from the read doors and taking a small amount from the front doors is probably not a bad idea.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thx! Interesting reading, which also strengthens my observation. :)
[/b]
Yes, that old post was interesting for sure. I have been running with that setup for almost three years now and no problems what so ever. I still stand behind the cheapest way to make your crappy BOSE sound good. All the guys in the Upstate New York Club Mazda 6 got to hear both BOSE setups side by side and they all were very excited with my sound. For the price, you can't beat it.

I got my Bass Caps from a car audio speaker retailer so the caps were name brand, not some Radio Shack stuff. ;)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
This also sounds very strange. CD players are not rocket sience anymore, and there is possible to build a decent cd player for very little money. I'm quite sure the cd players used in the Bose system is good enough, it reproduces the information recorded on a CD very accurately. I can't believe that sound quality could be improved by swithing the sound source from the cd player to a Mp3 player. However there is possible that some(or many) people prefer the sound from the MP3 player, because it could color the sound in many ways.

I'm not impressed at all by the Bose system. I think they have chosen wrong crossover frequncys, they allows the front and rear spekers to play to low (in Hz) and thus creating distortion. I think they should have used better quality speakers if they wanted to use that crossover frequencys. The sound is't impressive at all in any way. There is possible to build a better sounding system for very little money. But, the installation is very clean, and I love the steering wheel controls.
[/b]
I can only say from my experience and I can say 100% sure that the decoder sounds so much better in clarity in the midrange and liquidity and with more body comparing the sound to the cd player, also the bass is with much more weighted and punchy. I actually double check this today just to be sure I am not misleading the issue :)

I am not sure if my hearing prefer more coloured sound but I am listening to my Thiel CS1.5 speakers and driven with Audio Research SP11 and Krell KSA 200 amp at home. This sounding system may not be the best in terms of audiophile status but it is surely not coloured :)

Also if anyone into audiophile will know all cd drive is made equal. So the Bose cd drive may not be the best sounding drive in the market. Also the output of the sound can only be bettered if the input is feeded with as good a sound source as possible.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I can only say from my experience and I can say 100% sure that the decoder sounds so much better in clarity in the midrange and liquidity and with more body comparing the sound to the cd player, also the bass is with much more weighted and punchy. I actually double check this today just to be sure I am not misleading the issue :)

I am not sure if my hearing prefer more coloured sound but I am listening to my Thiel CS1.5 speakers and driven with Audio Research SP11 and Krell KSA 200 amp at home. This sounding system may not be the best in terms of audiophile status but it is surely not coloured :)

Also if anyone into audiophile will know all cd drive is made equal. So the Bose cd drive may not be the best sounding drive in the market. Also the output of the sound can only be bettered if the input is feeded with as good a sound source as possible.
[/b]
I belive you, but I still tink it's strange. :) Imagine yourself, if you hook up a mp3 player to your home audio system and compare the sound to most cd players (even quite cheep ones) in the same system the sound from the CD player will be better than the Mp3 player. I've never encountered a Mp3 device with better sound quality than a regular cd player. My conclusion is that either the bose cd player is just crap, or your Mp3 decoder must be very good (especially since Mp3 isn't a loss less format) :)

I suppose you use the same preamp and power amplifier in the car and just switch the sound source from the cd player to the Mp3 player, or is this incorrect?

I now there can be quite big differences between cd players, I have a 10 kg, $2000 SAT CDfix at home. :) I must say you have a quite impressive system, I'm sure it must sound good. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wonder if the BOSE amp is treating the signals from the audiphille differently that the cd player? Maybe there is less adjustment at the amp end than the cd signals? If I am correct in my assumption, anything plugged into the changer in port on the back of the 6 disc changer would not get as processed?

What do you think?

I am installing a couple of new amps and speakers tomorrow, so will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
721 Posts
My idea is to flip the sub upside down and have it pump into the trunk, use the trunk as the enclosure. Has anyone tried this yet? It seems like there is already enough slack in the wires to flip the sub, just a matter of taking off the rear deck, flipping the speaker and trying it out. I think it would be pretty effective since there is a lot of air in the trunk. thoughts??
[/b]
It's all ready what is called a free air setup. it won't matter if it's upside down. You might get a minor boost from the phase reversal but as far as using the trunk as an enclosure... it all ready is.

my 2cents, the stock sub doesn't have strong low end frequency response. it does hit it, and it's noticeable when the car is off, but on highway barely noticeable. The science cannot be denied, the amp is low on power, and the woofer is small, it just can't move that much air, period.

My guess is tThis sub was used and the setup designed for the average executive (reinforced by the lack of a hood scoop) whose musical tastes might include but is not limited to classical, live instrumentiation, jazz, contemporary, and vocal type genres, not electronica, hip hop, drum and bass, house, or reggae.

For those of you trying to compare it to your HT sub at home, you must remember that low end frequency's do better in larger spaces. the interior of a car is actually the worst environment for bass due to the length of the sound wave and the small size of the space.

for those that are wondering the stock amp doesn't connect with RCA's but it does recieve a line level signal whose wire can be easily converted to accept an RCA connector.

I belive you, but I still tink it's strange. :) Imagine yourself, if you hook up a mp3 player to your home audio system and compare the sound to most cd players (even quite cheep ones) in the same system the sound from the CD player will be better than the Mp3 player. I've never encountered a Mp3 device with better sound quality than a regular cd player. My conclusion is that either the bose cd player is just crap, or your Mp3 decoder must be very good (especially since Mp3 isn't a loss less format) :)

I suppose you use the same preamp and power amplifier in the car and just switch the sound source from the cd player to the Mp3 player, or is this incorrect?

I now there can be quite big differences between cd players, I have a 10 kg, $2000 SAT CDfix at home. :) I must say you have a quite impressive system, I'm sure it must sound good. :)
[/b]
MP3 is a compressed format and is not producing all the sound that is supposed to be there. CD is better but is still missing information. SACD is better, vinyl is best.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My idea is to flip the sub upside down and have it pump into the trunk, use the trunk as the enclosure. Has anyone tried this yet? It seems like there is already enough slack in the wires to flip the sub, just a matter of taking off the rear deck, flipping the speaker and trying it out. I think it would be pretty effective since there is a lot of air in the trunk. thoughts??
[/b]
So I gave this a shot and here is my review. When I did do a full fade to the rear it did sound like the bass was more pounding but nothing to brag about. When all the speakers were on there was no noticeable change. Besides it looked ghetto rigged. ;)

Next thing I will try is replace the sub with kicker comp and run mono amp to it (kicker comps will run free air). I want to keep it clean without loosing my trunk space for now. I also thought about cutting a larger hole to fit a 12inch.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts

[/b]
First of all, thanks for your compliment re- my system at home. It isn't a system to write home about at this day of equipment level but I did put some investment in it nevertheless :)

Back to the topic. I agree with the mp3 file is highly compression format and lose lots of information in the process. But I found in my home system if playing cassually without being into criticly listening session, then I find I can actually live with it if the encoding wasn't done with the crappy low bitrate. Nevertheless if I'm in the mood of a high level of criticly listening phase, then yes, I agree it has lost so much details comparing to the cd or even more to the highly regard vinyl system that our audiophile community rage about. But I think this is to do with the highly revealing highend system that we have that the culprit as I find the transparent revealing abilty can show all the weakness of the source, so any minor loss of details or artifact will cruelly display and lose the enjoyment as the result. This is what I would like to bring to the system in our car, due to the limiting factor within the enviroment in the car and its equipment's revealing level, I find the mp3 if just factor in its sound producing spectrum and not paying attention with other factors that most audiophiles will pay attentiion to with their home system, I find it can do a fine job just for the sake of sound enjoyment. Hope you see what I mean. yes in this regards I think the 6's cd player fails comparing to the mp3 decoder that I have in the car.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
First of all, thanks for your compliment re- my system at home. It isn't a system to write home about at this day of equipment level but I did put some investment in it nevertheless :)

Back to the topic. I agree with the mp3 file is highly compression format and lose lots of information in the process. But I found in my home system if playing cassually without being into criticly listening session, then I find I can actually live with it if the encoding wasn't done with the crappy low bitrate. Nevertheless if I'm in the mood of a high level of criticly listening phase, then yes, I agree it has lost so much details comparing to the cd or even more to the highly regard vinyl system that our audiophile community rage about. But I think this is to do with the highly revealing highend system that we have that the culprit as I find the transparent revealing abilty can show all the weakness of the source, so any minor loss of details or artifact will cruelly display and lose the enjoyment as the result. This is what I would like to bring to the system in our car, due to the limiting factor within the enviroment in the car and its equipment's revealing level, I find the mp3 if just factor in its sound producing spectrum and not paying attention with other factors that most audiophiles will pay attentiion to with their home system, I find it can do a fine job just for the sake of sound enjoyment. Hope you see what I mean. yes in this regards I think the 6's cd player fails comparing to the mp3 decoder that I have in the car.
[/b]
u must be high

·
Registered
219 Posts
M6Gr8: Yes, I think I understand what you mean. :) There is no need for super clarity and such in a car, especially not the Mazda6 since it's quite noisy. But, a better sounding system than the bose should of course be welcome. :) I don't spend any money on stereo equipment right now, there is so much other fun things that needs my money. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone blown their sub? I am pretty sure mine is busted but I've only had the car for a year and I don't put the volume above 15 with the bass to +6. Is this a faulty sub or is this totally my fault?
Naw, bose is garbage, could they have used a smaller magnet? And, yeah..thats the ‘sub amp’ screwed to it- i just disconnected spkr and ran the ‘amp’ wires to a samsung ‘home theater in a box’ sub i got for $7 at a thrift store; chose that one because its rated at 3 ohms, which was similar to bose if i recall, so not a huge strain on stock electronics.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Naw, bose is garbage, could they have used a smaller magnet? And, yeah..thats the ‘sub amp’ screwed to it- i just disconnected spkr and ran the ‘amp’ wires to a samsung ‘home theater in a box’ sub i got for $7 at a thrift store; chose that one because its rated at 3 ohms, which was similar to bose if i recall, so not a huge strain on stock electronics.
There a point to necroing a 14 year old thread dude?

41 - 59 of 59 Posts