Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
A couple of things here. 1st: Bose systems use interesting cross circuitry, hence the bass still coming from the front even fully faded to the rear. 2nd: the 6 I had test driven before I bought mine had no rear channel (no rear sound) and the sub wasn't working either. I suspect the rear channel feeds the sub in this application. 3rd, I had always had a problem with mid tones distorting in my right channel (guitars and such sounded "fuzzy"). After everything else was replaced under warranty - some of it twice :swearin: - a tech I knew at my local dealer finally replaced my amp (like I had asked after the 1st time they replaced my rt ft speaker!). It not only fixed my distortion problem, my sub hits much better than it used to. :D I don't know, but maybe the problem causing the distortion was sapping output to the amp.

Long story short to the guy that started this thread is to suggest, recommend, even beg the dealer to replace the amp and see what happens.

On the stock Bose sub, I have been planning for awhile to enclose it the full width of the rear shelf to see if this tightens it up any more. I post in if I ever get around to it and let you all know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
On the stock Bose sub, I have been planning for awhile to enclose it the full width of the rear shelf to see if this tightens it up any more. I post in if I ever get around to it and let you all know how it turns out.
[/b]
I agree, the sub really need the enclosure to bring the best out of it, and I think adding some tuner port may help out the extension as well. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have found a Black Box under my driver seat, is that the amp? Can we do something to this box to give more base to the speaker on top of the boot?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I have found a Black Box under my driver seat, is that the amp? Can we do something to this box to give more base to the speaker on top of the boot?
[/b]
HI BCMPS, to what I think, for the bass that you require on the car, I don't think the stock sub can do the job. As it is afterall only a small bass driver, also it is mounted on the top of the back shelf, hardly an ideal location for superb bass reproduction. and to what I hear you for your bass requirement, you may need to invest in a bigger sub - bass driver and amp for the task you require.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
HI BCMPS, to what I think, for the bass that you require on the car, I don't think the stock sub can do the job. As it is afterall only a small bass driver, also it is mounted on the top of the back shelf, hardly an ideal location for superb bass reproduction. and to what I hear you for your bass requirement, you may need to invest in a bigger sub - bass driver and amp for the task you require.
[/b]
Thanks for your suggestion mate. =D
But I just wanna see if anyone discover a way to increase the Base Level from the rear sub.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just took the RCA that feeds the sub, split it, fed it into my 2 channel rockford amp, and used it to pump my p3 12" sub. sounds MUCH better then the factory bose sub.

p.s. if you do this, you will need to install a ground loop silencer

joe
[/b]
This car audio store just told me that there are no RCAs to the amp. Is this true and if there are RCA wouldn't it not be on the amp. Please help me out.

·
Registered
185 Posts
For all to understand. The reason the bass is coming from the front speakers is that your sounstage is in front of you. When you go to a concert, you don't stand with your back to the stage. And furthermore, you don't listen to the whole band in front, and the drummer in the rear. The BOSE is set up to make the FULL RANGE sound like it's coming from the front. The SUB is in the back but because the front speakers play a strong range of mid-bass, it sounds like "all" the bass is coming from the front, which is what you would want if you're an audiophile. LIke I said, you don't go to a concert and turn your ack to the band. The BOSE system uses DSP tp make it seem like ALL the sound is coming from the front of the car.

I do concurr that the bass is sub-par in the MAZDASPEED6 but adding to it will just make the system sounf "muddy" or make the car rattle. Just my .02

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm perfectly happy with the Bose in my 6. I don't listen to rap and that crap and have no need to impress people with a "bumpin" stereo. Of all the cars I've owned, this car has the best stock stereo I've had. In general, I upgrade my stereos in my cars. In this case I'll be saving that money for other things. Like some bumping wheels maybe!
[/b]
i read this everyday and i laugh everytime no other comment needed

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
wow, reviving a verrrrry old thread, but i had to do it.

ive been paranoid since i installed my auxmod that the bass in my speed6 has diminished. it really seems inadequate now, and im not looking for tons of bass, just some decent tight hits. has anyone else experienced anything similar? also, on the back of the HU, is there supposed to be an empty connector on the driver's side (small white port, possibly the pre-outs?)??

·
Registered
104 Posts
The sub is weak. I might build a small enclosure behind it as well instead of it using the whole trunk as its chamber.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The Bose system is better than most factory stereos, but the entire frequency range is muddled in my opinion. I bet if you replaced the front 6.5" door speakers and the tweeters in door pod, would improve the imaging and sound stage tremendously.

·
Registered
820 Posts
My idea is to flip the sub upside down and have it pump into the trunk, use the trunk as the enclosure. Has anyone tried this yet? It seems like there is already enough slack in the wires to flip the sub, just a matter of taking off the rear deck, flipping the speaker and trying it out. I think it would be pretty effective since there is a lot of air in the trunk. thoughts??

·
Registered
104 Posts
My idea is to flip the sub upside down and have it pump into the trunk, use the trunk as the enclosure. Has anyone tried this yet? It seems like there is already enough slack in the wires to flip the sub, just a matter of taking off the rear deck, flipping the speaker and trying it out. I think it would be pretty effective since there is a lot of air in the trunk. thoughts??
[/b]
Thats a great idea, I will try it out and let you know how it sounds.

·
Registered
219 Posts
[/b]
This sounds really strange to me, isn't the trunk already used as a "enlusure"? I think the problem with the stock sub is the open air configuration, it has no real enlosure, and thus more or less impossible to tune effectivly.

·
Registered
661 Posts
This sounds really strange to me, isn't the trunk already used as a "enlusure"? I think the problem with the stock sub is the open air configuration, it has no real enlosure, and thus more or less impossible to tune effectivly.
[/b]
yeah - I don't think that's going to make a positive difference - but I'd be interested in hearing how it works.

·
Registered
59 Posts
wow, reviving a verrrrry old thread, but i had to do it.

ive been paranoid since i installed my auxmod that the bass in my speed6 has diminished. it really seems inadequate now, and im not looking for tons of bass, just some decent tight hits. has anyone else experienced anything similar?
[/b]
I found quite the opposite. I found that the line out in my ipod brought out the bass a bit more in the car. I don't know any numbers here, but it sounds on my setup that the entire stereo sounds better with the ipod (compared to a CD). I know that the sound quality of the mp3s should be slightly less than the CD, but it seems like the ipod is driving the speakers harder and things sound better as a result. I added a 10" Infiniti Basslink Sub and the difference in sound stands out even more between the ipod and the CD.

I'd add a sound clip, but that may not help you :laugh:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
i just checked my system out a bit more, and i definitely have better response when using the auxmod and my sirius starmate. i guess i had just been used to that for a bit, but had started listening to CD's now that i have a 6 disc whereas i previously just had a single disc that i didnt use much.

i also tried the button combo that gives you the amp on status and it was ON, so i guess i will now just leave well enough alone.

on a side note, when i had my 3, a lot of people reported getting fuller sound with the automatic volume set to 2 or 3. it was stated (dont remember which moderator on the 3 board) that it raises the levels for bass and treb, not just the volume. so i guess at speed, itll be a bit fuller.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts