Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at my Bose subwoofer for a while now and wondered. What if I where to make an enclosure for it. Because right it is using the entire volume of the trunk. Do you think the response would be better if it had a much smaller enclosure?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Reading Topic: Bose Subwoofer

I doubt it. That speaker is a "free air" or infinate baffle design. It is made to use all of that space. I don't have the specs, but I'm sure a small enclosure would degrade the sound that you have now.

Jon

·
Registered
657 Posts

Subs are made to follow certain specs. Putting a free-air sub like the bose in a box would limit the output significantly, and eventually destroy the sub. Just the opposite of what you're looking to do.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I did not know it was specifically a free are sub. Thanks for the info. Does any one have the spec's on the Bose system?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I thought you could box up free-air subs as long as the box is ported? I have a pair of kicker free-airs in a ported box. Spec says you can operate them either way.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Bose Subwoofer'

Originally posted by kyler13

I thought you could box up free-air subs as long as the box is ported?  I have a pair of kicker free-airs in a ported box.  Spec says you can operate them either way.[/b]
I think it depends on the exact sub. Some are designed for dual-use and some are free-air only.

·
Registered
136 Posts

if you want to test that, fill your trunk whit something that wont shake. By doing that you will reduce the air volume, and will simulate a small volume box. You can do exactly the invers by opening the trunk or the back seat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts