Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I have 2006 Mazda 6s and all of a sudden one day my sub woofer stopped working. All the other speakers work except the sub woofer and the speakers In the way way back. I am wondering how I can fix this and if it’s fuse that’s bad or something else. If someone knows what is wrong or has an idea it would be great to tell me.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Sorry, you need to go back to the future and consult a dealer in your own timeline.
Wtf kind of answer is this. This is of no help to anyone at all. I know your answers are short and blunt but this one is absolutely pointless.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hi I have 2006 Mazda 6s and all of a sudden one day my sub woofer stopped working. All the other speakers work except the sub woofer and the speakers In the way way back. I am wondering how I can fix this and if it’s fuse that’s bad or something else. If someone knows what is wrong or has an idea it would be great to tell me.
I found this in another thread that may help you find the issue.

Voltmeter

Do you have access to a voltmeter (multimeter preferable)? If so you can do 3 tests that would lead you in the right direction as far as troubleshooting goes. My three guesses are as follows: 1. Your amp is losing power and shutting down. 2. Your amp is failing to give an output signal. 3. Your sub had an intermittent fault in the voice coil and cuts out( has an open circuit) when it heats up.
To troubleshoot properly you will first have to get the issue to occur. Once your sub stops playing, get out the meter and test for voltage at you amp/pre-amp to make sure it is on and working. If everything checks out, go on to step 2. Check for output at the amp. Place your multimeter on ac voltage at and place the leads on the terminals accordingly ie positive to positive, negative to negative. Now play some music and watch the volts jump up and down. Turn the volume up and watch the voltage go higher. If it does, then you have output from the amp. Third step is to check the impedance of the sub.
Set the multimeter to ohms/impedance. Place the leads of the multimeter on the terminals of the sub accordingly, and take a reading. This test has to be done with NO music on. The speaker has to be receiving no signal in order to do an impedance test. Check your reading and make sure it's within specs. Push up and down on the cone of the speaker slowly and watch to see if the impedance goes up and down with respect to the cone travel. If it had any opens during travel, then speaker voice coil is most likely bad. Also, when you push up and down on the speaker, listen closely and see if you hear any scraping or grinding sound. That's a good indicator of voice coil problems around the pole piece ie seizure, etc..Any questions feel free to ask.
Very informative on trying to find the issue with the factory sub. If there are issues with the amp and sub, you have some options out there.

▪You can try and find a used replacement in junk yards or look online.
▪You can look into what some of the others have done as far as replacing the factory sub with an aftermarket infinite baffle sub and amp setup.
▪Or just go full on enclosure and amp.

If you don't want/need all of that but still want some bass, you can look into a powered sub that has the amp built into it. They come in many different sizes and you could find one that fits your needs.

Also, you mentioned speakers in the way back, what speakers are you talking about? What body type do you have?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts