Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about upgrading the speakers, tweeters, and subwoofer in my mazdaspeed6 at a later date. I am curious as to wether the bose sub can be switched out. It looks small, but I am not sure what size it is, or what the maximum size that could be mounted there is. Anybody done any research on this? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have been thinking about upgrading the speakers, tweeters, and subwoofer in my mazdaspeed6 at a later date. I am curious as to wether the bose sub can be switched out. It looks small, but I am not sure what size it is, or what the maximum size that could be mounted there is. Anybody done any research on this? Thanks for the help.[/b]
I did some research and went as far as disassembling the rear deck. The Bose sub is a weird one, at 9" in diameter. It has to be installed and removed from above, requiring disassembly of the rear deck (not an easy task, lots of stuff has to come off to get it out).

There is no aftermarket sub available that will just bolt in. An 8" sub is difficult to find these days and will require an adapter ring to fill up the extra space. A 10" sub will require enlarging of the stock hole and/or some type of riser (I think it will be difficult to enlarge the hole enough to allow a 10" sub to seat fully down on the deck, due to the ribbing and contour changes). There is some height above the deck due to the design of the sub, which has a good 1" to 1.25" rise above the deck. If I had gone ahead with a 10" sub I was going to open the hole up as large as possible, find a sub with a tapered basket design, and build a riser ring that would lift the sub up enough so that the opening I could cut would clear the basket lower down where it's tapering (requiring a slightly smaller diameter hole).

The other option is to mount the 10", with an adapter, from underneath, but I think that's even more work and will impact trunk space somewhat.

In addition, replacing the Bose sub will require a sub amp and tapping into the wire harness, as the amp for the Bose sub is built-in.

I decided to leave it and try replacing the door speakers and sound deadening them with RAAMmat and acoustic foam. Doing that really tightened and cleaned up the sound overall, in addition to adding some body and punch to the bass. I'm not a heavy bass fanatic so I think I'm going to leave the Bose sub in and sound deaden the deck and trunk with more RAAMmat and foam.

If you really want a lof of heavy, high volume bass everybody has been recommending discarding the deck mounted subwoofer idea altogether and go with a discrete subwoofer enclosure in the trunk. This is because the rear deck just isn't rigid enough to provide a flex and resonance free mounting point for a massive, heavy sub playing at high volumes.

For more threads on this and other stereo topics check the In Car Electronics forum.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts