Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking before I do my install tomorrow. I was going to use all the inputs (FL FR RL RR and SUB +-) But I am thinking that just using the front inputs would be much easier. Dont care about fader control cause I plan to keep the rear speakers gain lower than the fronts anyway(rear fill). Should I just use the Bose front inputs into my 4 channel amp considering it only needs 2 inputs (R.Fosgate has a switch that converts 2 inputs to 4 output) Also, I'm installing the sub amp so I plan on hooking that up from under the passenger seat as well.
so:

2 front inputs going into 4 channel amp
sub inputs going into sub
dont care about fader

Or just splice into all the inputs and have balance and fader control?

Also, how many Y cables did you need? I have 3 sets now but can get more later....

sorry for rambling but want to make sure before I start cutting.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Take the extra time and splice in 4 channels of outputs for your amplifier inputs from the Bose Amp. You'll retain fading and have some control over the sub as mentioned below.

Do not use the Sub +/- on the Bose harness. It has some wonky EQ and you will have less than satisfactory results.

Instead, use one of your y-cables to split the signal that you tapped off of the RL and RR output from the head unit and send it to the 4 channel amp and the Sub amp. You'll be much happier with the results, trust me.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Take the extra time and splice in 4 channels of outputs for your amplifier inputs from the Bose Amp. You'll retain fading and have some control over the sub as mentioned below.

Do not use the Sub +/- on the Bose harness. It has some wonky EQ and you will have less than satisfactory results.

Instead, use one of your y-cables to split the signal that you tapped off of the RL and RR output from the head unit and send it to the 4 channel amp and the Sub amp. You'll be much happier with the results, trust me.
[/b]

I was reading in a few other thread on this topic that the wonky EQ you speak of is also on the other AMP outputs for the bose. Bose seems to process the audio to make the cheap speakers sound better... all advice I had read was to use the lines before the BOSE amp...

But I havn't tested that theory myself.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes...

You need to use the BOSE amplifier INPUTS aka the Headunit outputs.

If you use those to hook up to your aftermarket amp you'll have a dead flat signal.

If you leave the BOSE amp in the vehicle and hook up new 2ohm door speakers to it, your results may vary because of the funky EQ bose uses to make cheap speakers sound okay.

The Sub outputs also have some funky EQ going on. It's not as pronounced as with the door channels, but again, your results may vary if you attempt to use them. Best to split the rear channel to get a flat signal going to your sub amp.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes...

You need to use the BOSE amplifier INPUTS aka the Headunit outputs.

If you use those to hook up to your aftermarket amp you'll have a dead flat signal.

If you leave the BOSE amp in the vehicle and hook up new 2ohm door speakers to it, your results may vary because of the funky EQ bose uses to make cheap speakers sound okay.

The Sub outputs also have some funky EQ going on. It's not as pronounced as with the door channels, but again, your results may vary if you attempt to use them. Best to split the rear channel to get a flat signal going to your sub amp.
[/b]

Tried the front inputs and got great sound, but now having enging noise. If I unhook the rca's, all engine noise goes away. So I have a bad ground somewhere.
Also the rears are at an extremely low volume.
And when i spliced into the Sub wires at the Bose amp (red/black wire and brown wire) I got no sound going to my sub amp?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Double check your wiring and make sure these are the wires that you used:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?act=...ost&id=8145

If you removed the BOSE amp from the vehicle entirely, you will not see any input to the sub wires in the BOSE harness.

If you left the BOSE amp in the vehicle and hooked up, you need to double check the wiring, but it sounds like you got the right ones.

See my install thread in my sig for pictures and details of how I hooked mine up.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I took out the Bose amp entirely. I think that's also why I am getting a ground loop problem. There is a ground coming off the h.u. and going into the amp. My black/orange wire isn't grounded, I'm thinking this is what caused my problems and causing the ground to come throught the rca's. Used all the correct wires, but like you said I didn't realize by taking out the Bose amp there would be no signal to the subs. Going to reinstall the bose amp but just clip the speaker wires.

Thanks Jared, I used your scheme to wire my system perfectly, well except for a couple probs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts