Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In regards to the bose system, I first thought it sounded ok. One of the things I did was to unplug the back rear midrange speakers. To me, this helped get rid of some of the mids in the system. By default, to me at least, the midrange is just a bit too much unless listening to classical or instrumental. I thought I got the system to a point that was pretty decent to my ears.

So, I took a trip down to panama city beach this weekend. I sat in the passenger seat for a while during our trip because my gf was driving. With the music at a moderate level, what I did not understand, was with the balance set to 0(no left or right bias), that there was much more volume coming from the right side. But when I sit in the driver seat, the sound seems to come from the middle of the car.

When I got back from the trip, I started playing with the balance. Come to my suprise, the right side has a decent sound coming from the front right door. When I then go to the left side, it sounds muddy. I first thought it might be the track I was listening to, but it wasn't. This was effected through all inputs. I then tried the left and right rear door. The same issue. The right door has much more volume than the left door. Granted, its full range sound and not very good, but still.

I'd almost swear that the polarity is swapped on the left side. I know that there is a seperate amp under the car seat, and that there are signals from the head unit that go to the bose amp. I guess, is it possible that the polarity would be swapped on the rear and the front left coming from the head unit? Or maybe the polarity is swapped coming from the head unit going to the amp? Or maybe I have a faulty amp?

I just purchased the car brand new, and I could have the dealership look at it, but this is something I'm not sure if they'd even say they would notice. It would be tough for me to convince them to do anything about it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
659 Posts
If this is a 2009+ there's only one amp and it's in the passenger side kick, high, just under the dash.

Can't suggest anything though -- bose does funny things to trick your ears. The one in my car sounded almost out of phase . . . . really sucked.

Plug everything back in and get someone who's familiar with factory systems to take a look --- dealership probably will be no help . . . as will stereo shops (which will hear the same stuff I'm talking about).

Either way, good luck.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
The Bose system uses special DSP processing

In regards to the bose system, I first thought it sounded ok. One of the things I did was to unplug the back rear midrange speakers. To me, this helped get rid of some of the mids in the system. By default, to me at least, the midrange is just a bit too much unless listening to classical or instrumental. I thought I got the system to a point that was pretty decent to my ears.

So, I took a trip down to panama city beach this weekend. I sat in the passenger seat for a while during our trip because my gf was driving. With the music at a moderate level, what I did not understand, was with the balance set to 0(no left or right bias), that there was much more volume coming from the right side. But when I sit in the driver seat, the sound seems to come from the middle of the car.

When I got back from the trip, I started playing with the balance. Come to my suprise, the right side has a decent sound coming from the front right door. When I then go to the left side, it sounds muddy. I first thought it might be the track I was listening to, but it wasn't. This was effected through all inputs. I then tried the left and right rear door. The same issue. The right door has much more volume than the left door. Granted, its full range sound and not very good, but still.

I'd almost swear that the polarity is swapped on the left side. I know that there is a seperate amp under the car seat, and that there are signals from the head unit that go to the bose amp. I guess, is it possible that the polarity would be swapped on the rear and the front left coming from the head unit? Or maybe the polarity is swapped coming from the head unit going to the amp? Or maybe I have a faulty amp?

I just purchased the car brand new, and I could have the dealership look at it, but this is something I'm not sure if they'd even say they would notice. It would be tough for me to convince them to do anything about it.

Thoughts?

By unplugging the rear speakers you proabably messed up the system's balance and processing. The Bose system is specifically tuned for a particular car's acoustics and doesn't necessarily give you the same frequencies out of every speaker.

Also, do you know if you have Centerpoint or the Audiopilot on? These two processing settings will affect the sound balance as well and probably malfunction if you unplugged any of the speakers.

I would suggest you simply plug back in the rear speakers and leave it alone. Without knowing how the DSP algorithmn is programmed there's no way to know which frequencies are going where.

I also have the Bose system and find it works well. It's not the absolute best but for the money it does a nice job.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wife has a 2008 CX-9 with a Bose system and it sounds really, really bad. If I was the one driving it I would yank it out. The system is a joke.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My wife has a 2008 CX-9 with a Bose system and it sounds really, really bad. If I was the one driving it I would yank it out. The system is a joke.
I am not sure if I am right or wrong on this topic. However, I discussed the Bose system with the Mazda tech guy. He told me that Bose doesn't make the system. The car companies make it or find someone else to make it. All Bose does is send them the specs and grants the companies to slap their name on it. Is this true?

IMO Bose is only good for clarity. Bose sux for bass. I miss my sub. :(

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Only the head unit is not technically "Bose"

I am not sure if I am right or wrong on this topic. However, I discussed the Bose system with the Mazda tech guy. He told me that Bose doesn't make the system. The car companies make it or find someone else to make it. All Bose does is send them the specs and grants the companies to slap their name on it. Is this true?

IMO Bose is only good for clarity. Bose sux for bass. I miss my sub. :(
The head unit is not "Bose" but the amp and speakers and the special Bose DSP processing recipe is Bose. FYI Bose makes sure the Head unit meets their specs with respect to flat response so that the Bose processing that happens after the head unit is reproduced accurately.

Sound is very subjective. Personally I think the Mazda6 Bose system is much better than the version I had in my MS3. I also think bass is decent. Of course it depends what sort of bass you're after. If you want your car to jump to the bass like some ricey lowered honda then Bose is not for you. However if you want good clarity and weight to your music then Bose makes some good stuff. Of course you pay for the best processing and design. So the best Bose systems will come in a Ferrari and Porsche. By comparison the 6 is about as good as what you get in an Infiniti.

FWIW

·
Registered
659 Posts
Google "why bose sucks" --- you'll get a billion hits.

The best write-up I've ever read essentially says that they managed to get patents on long-established industry concepts . . . because USPO has NO IDEA about the technologies it rules on . . .

Take "loudness" which is essentially boosting the bass and trebble when the volume is really low. Works well; good idea . . . should not be patentable. BTW: I think BLOSE owns a patent on that ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By unplugging the rear speakers you proabably messed up the system's balance and processing. The Bose system is specifically tuned for a particular car's acoustics and doesn't necessarily give you the same frequencies out of every speaker.

Also, do you know if you have Centerpoint or the Audiopilot on? These two processing settings will affect the sound balance as well and probably malfunction if you unplugged any of the speakers.

I would suggest you simply plug back in the rear speakers and leave it alone. Without knowing how the DSP algorithmn is programmed there's no way to know which frequencies are going where.

I also have the Bose system and find it works well. It's not the absolute best but for the money it does a nice job.

No. I plugged them back in and the same result. With the fader set to front, and I change balance from right and left, the left(driver side) sounds weak compared to the right side. When the balance is set to 0, sitting in the passenger seat, its obvious where the sound is coming from, the tweeter and the door on the right. The highs sound nice. Sitting in the driver seat, the sound seems to come from the middle of the car and the highs seem rather flat.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You may have a bad speaker or amp...

No. I plugged them back in and the same result. With the fader set to front, and I change balance from right and left, the left(driver side) sounds weak compared to the right side. When the balance is set to 0, sitting in the passenger seat, its obvious where the sound is coming from, the tweeter and the door on the right. The highs sound nice. Sitting in the driver seat, the sound seems to come from the middle of the car and the highs seem rather flat.
I'll take a listen to my 2010 6 Bose set-up and see if I hear the same. Any particular song or type of music you're listening to?

Could be a DSP thing or could be that its a defective amp channel.

I'll try and get back to you tomorrow.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Djarum -- on the slim chance that it's an initialization/calibration thing, pull the fuse for 5 minutes . . . then put it back in; it couldn't hurt.

-Ernie

·
Registered
120 Posts
Google "why bose sucks" --- you'll get a billion hits.

The best write-up I've ever read essentially says that they managed to get patents on long-established industry concepts . . . because USPO has NO IDEA about the technologies it rules on . . .

Take "loudness" which is essentially boosting the bass and trebble when the volume is really low. Works well; good idea . . . should not be patentable. BTW: I think BLOSE owns a patent on that ;)
I've heard the same, there is a saying: "no highs, no lows, either way it blows; its a bose"

A big audiophile buddy of mine told me years back, Bose just markets well and pays alot to get the name and reputation sold. As far as quality, you can find better, and get it for less.

I too was very disappointed by the factory Bose system in my MS6.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Djarum -- on the slim chance that it's an initialization/calibration thing, pull the fuse for 5 minutes . . . then put it back in; it couldn't hurt.

-Ernie
Well, I tried to get mazda to look at it, but they don't see a problem. They must be deaf. I took it in and they couldn't hear what I was talking about. I tried several sources.

It really sounds to me as if the driver side front door is wired backwards. It really sounds to me, even with the midbass in the door, that the + is wried to the - on the speaker.

It also appears that the amp is underneath the passenger seat..at least thats what it looks like there is a black box with wires under the passenger seat.

I'm sort of confused. Is the amp under the passenger seat or under the front kick panel?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I got brave and pulled off the tweeter mountings on the left and right side.

Guess what.

The tweeter on the left is different than the one on the right.

The tweeter on the left(driver) has a larger magnet and the front of the tweeter has a 3 star looking grill. The tweeter on the right(passenger) is smaller with a smaller magnet and is more basic looking.

This would explain why the "timber" is different. Neither tweeter has "bose" on them, though.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well I got brave and pulled off the tweeter mountings on the left and right side.

Guess what.

The tweeter on the left(driver) has a larger magnet and the front of the tweeter has a 3 star looking grill. The tweeter on the right(passenger) is smaller with a smaller magnet and is more basic looking.

This would explain why the "timber" is different. Neither tweeter has "bose" on them, though.
What year vehicle is this and where are you located?

Gen 1 (US) is 2008 and earlier -- amp is under the seat. Gen 2 (where you are posting -- US) is in the kick.

Was your car new or second hand?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine was purchased brand new last year, 2010 model. I did more digging and popped the tweeters out of the housings. The right one says bose on the inner housing the left does not. The left also says on the back 25W and 4 ohm. My guess is that the one on the left is the standard tweeter. 1, if this is the case, this would explain why the left side doesn't sound as loud, and 2, the cap is probably different causing different rolloff for the bottom speaker as well. Not that a 2ohm amp can't push a 4 ohm speaker, but it does sound off.

I called the dealership and they are going to look at it again tommorow. At least now I have proof. It makes me wonder if any other speaker in the car doors is incorrect too.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Guess what.

Your tweeters have wood?

:huh:

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Mine was purchased brand new last year, 2010 model. I did more digging and popped the tweeters out of the housings. The right one says bose on the inner housing the left does not. The left also says on the back 25W and 4 ohm. My guess is that the one on the left is the standard tweeter. 1, if this is the case, this would explain why the left side doesn't sound as loud, and 2, the cap is probably different causing different rolloff for the bottom speaker as well. Not that a 2ohm amp can't push a 4 ohm speaker, but it does sound off.

I called the dealership and they are going to look at it again tommorow. At least now I have proof. It makes me wonder if any other speaker in the car doors is incorrect too.
I wouldn't get my hopes up --- how in the hell did they end up in there? They should be identical . . . I had mine out and have pioneers in there now.

My problem with this situation is that the dealers here are crooks, and something THIS suspicious would never get owned up to . . . they'd even call me a liar I'd be willing to bet.

I like my car, but the dealer network SUCKS. Mazda should partner with Subaru for US distribution . . . I wonder if the new Japanese Mz6 will have better QC? (Announced but no model year decided on -- next gen).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am in the audio industry and the car companies have worked for years to make it harder & harder to replace their overpriced crap. Bose is especially hard becuase you really need to replace all of the amps & speakers.
I hate to hear pople say things like "I also have the Bose system and find it works well. It's not the absolute best but for the money it does a nice job" They don't do a nice job, they sound like sht. As far as "for the money" that same money would buy you a very nice aftermarket system.

As far as Bose is concerned, they became a martketing company years ago & don't make goos sounding product.

I hate to say this since you car is new, but pull the whole system & sell it to some poor schmuck on ebay who has to have that Bose factory system then go buy a nice aftermarket headunit, amp, sub & speakers. You will be much happier in the long run.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts