Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading around and I've heard from a bunch of different people that the BOSE system is actually worse then the stock system. It makes the doors vibrate, sounds muddier and is just a waste of money. Can anyone confirm this? I haven't had a chance to listen to any of the systems.

Do you like your BOSE system, if you have it?
Do you like your stock system, if you have it?

If you've heard both, which do you like better?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Reading Topic: Bose or not?

Edmunds.com says that the Bose system is a great sounding system - they gave it a 9/10. I'm personally planning to buy my 6 with the Bose, although I've heard neither system yet.

·
Registered
432 Posts

The system is great in my opinion. If you listen to bass heavy music, yes, you will have to deal with some door rattles. To me, that's the only downside.

·
Registered
37 Posts

I completely agree with you about the door rattling< Casper - but overall I think it is pretty good for an upgrade. But if you are the type that likes bumping up that music so that the whole BLOCK starts vibrating, then you would probably want to get the STOCK system and upgrade from there.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Bose or not?'

Originally posted by Gonk

Do you like your BOSE system, if you have it?
Do you like your stock system, if you have it?

If you've heard both, which do you like better?[/b]
I'm not one to listen to loud door- (or chest-) rattling music, but I have the Bose system and am very happy with it. I listen to a variety of music, including classic rock, 80s, classical, and electronic. The bass sounds quite good with the subwoofer included with the Bose package, but I haven't compared against a stock system. I haven't noticed any rattles, at least not yet.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

I test drove one with the Bose and bought the one without it. I just wasnt really impressed...and the stock system isnt bad, i've heard much worse. So if the Bose stickers and the 6 disc changer are worth the $800 bucks then go for it. But for sound quality I dont think the $ are justified. Just my $.02

·
Registered
315 Posts

$800? It doesn't cost $800 fo the Bose setup.
Also, you can get the 6 disc stereo which is the same as the Bose Head Unit but without the Bose speakers and amps.

I plan to upgrade my system and I really like having the multi-disc stock head unit to work from.
The nice thing about the Bose upgrade is that it's only around $150 more to get the upgrades speakers and amps PLUS you get the line level wiring from the head unit to the Bose amps, which will help when modding the system at a later date.

I think the stock Bose setup is pretty good as far as Bose goes. Generally, I'm not a Bose fan especially in cars. But the 6 Bose is pretty decent. For stock car audio I like the base Audi system and the Monsoon systems. They have much better clarity in the midrange and highs. They all suck when it comes to good clean, distortion free base. But, you need a big amp and great quality subwoofer for that, and that isn't always so cheap.

I just test drove the new Grand Prix GTP with competition group options. The Monsoon stereo in that car is one of the BEST stock units I've every heard. It simply trounces the Bose in the 6.
The Monsoon has volume, clarity, EQ settings Manual & preset, bass punch and clarity. It is amazing for a stock setup.

I don't know about the BASE stereo in the 6 as I haven't driven a 6 yet that doesn't have at least the 6 disc option stereo (non Bose).

Tome

·
Registered
111 Posts

I've heard both systems, and I ended up getting the bose. here are some reasons why:

1) i don't know if you've looked at the center console, but it looks like it would be a real pain to self-install a system. i figured i would want a good system in my car because i love music, so i figured i'd let the factory install it instead of me having to install my own in that car.

2) the high-end range of the Bose can't be beat by any other system. I think Bose does the best work in the high-pitch area of any company in the industry. songs with violins, or guitar, solos, for example, sounds amazingly crisp and clear.

3) the bass output is excellent. of course it shakes the doors, it's a lot of deep bass. that's the car's fault, not the sound system. but if the door rattling really drives you nuts, i'd say go with the stock system, or just don't crank the bass on the bose.

I think the bose is definitely worth the extra mula.

Eric

·
Registered
142 Posts

I got the bose setup in my car and I love it, i think its a great improvement over the stock setup that I test drove, and i didnt want to have to worry about upgrading the speakers a year or so down the line to get better sound, So i upgraded from the start

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

My bad, its a $630 dollar option or something like that. M-006 makes some good points about upgrading in the future that I didnt consider, that would make it much easier down the road so that may make it worth the price to you. Go do the dealer with your favorite cd, one with a little range, and listen, then decide...thats what I did and I'm happy, you may make a different choice but at least your'll know it was your choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.