Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
it happens to me as well. Everything looks fine but no sound. So I ordered a used BOSE amp from ebay. After the swap, problem solved. (the amp is under the front passenger seat)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a new amp replaced it but still no sound is it possible that the headunit can display but something is blown in the headunit
I am currently in the same exact position with my car producing no sound but the head unit appears to be working. I've replaced my Bose amp with one I purchased on eBay to no avail. Did you ever get this problem fixed?

·
Registered
298 Posts
How did you check to see if the speakers were blown? If one of the speakers are blown or wires grounding out it can send the amp into protect mode. I would try as worst case scenario disconnecting all speakers and plugging them up one by one until the sound goes out. This is one method.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had this exact same problem and the information available on the internet is surprisingly sparse for this issue, despite it being fairly common. Strangely, it was a thread for the Millenia where I found the clues to the source of the problem.

The issue is, apparently, the head unit, at some point starts to fail to send a low amp signal to the Bose Relay under the hood...and once this signal fails to be sent, the relay never switches, and the Bose amp never powers on. The strange thing is, this failure can be intermittent as mine was. I went three weeks with no audio, then all of the sudden it started working again. This is how I knew for sure that A) no fuses were blown and B) my amp wasn't toast.

Under the hood, you can remove the not-broken relay for the Bose system and place a paperclip on the two silver contacts, completing the circuit to power your amp. If your issue is the same as mine you'll have sound as soon as you turn your stereo on. I suppose it's possible you just have a bad relay, but I swapped mine with a neighboring good relay, and nothing changed.

I haven't yet implemented a permanent work-around for this failure of the head unit's, but there are definitely many ways to work around this. I haven't decided yet which way I want to go. I currently have a 10 amp fuse jammed into the silver contacts, meaning my amp is technically always on :) But I have sound back!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yup, Bose Relay not being energized

I have the same issue, but when I manually bridge the relay circuit, I only get sound from the woofer unit - no sound from the door speakers.

This leads me to conclude:

Head unit is:
* not energizing the Bose relay (almost certain about this)
* sound signals isn't being routed to the amp (unsure if head unit or amp is responsible for this)

Bose amp:
* woofer signal is amplified but the rest of the audio signals aren't (unsure if this is the case because I assume that since woofer is being amplified, the amp is good... unless it's bi-amped or multi-amped)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Subwoofer in trunk/hatch is self amplified.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had this exact same problem and the information available on the internet is surprisingly sparse for this issue, despite it being fairly common. Strangely, it was a thread for the Millenia where I found the clues to the source of the problem.

The issue is, apparently, the head unit, at some point starts to fail to send a low amp signal to the Bose Relay under the hood...and once this signal fails to be sent, the relay never switches, and the Bose amp never powers on. The strange thing is, this failure can be intermittent as mine was. I went three weeks with no audio, then all of the sudden it started working again. This is how I knew for sure that A) no fuses were blown and B) my amp wasn't toast.

Under the hood, you can remove the not-broken relay for the Bose system and place a paperclip on the two silver contacts, completing the circuit to power your amp. If your issue is the same as mine you'll have sound as soon as you turn your stereo on. I suppose it's possible you just have a bad relay, but I swapped mine with a neighboring good relay, and nothing changed.

I haven't yet implemented a permanent work-around for this failure of the head unit's, but there are definitely many ways to work around this. I haven't decided yet which way I want to go. I currently have a 10 amp fuse jammed into the silver contacts, meaning my amp is technically always on :) But I have sound back!!
hi. I’m having a similar sound issue. Where is the Bose relay found. It’s not the 30 amp fuse is it ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Talon is this the kind of smartass comments I’m going to get from people on this site. If so I’ll try elsewhere I can’t find any resources as to the relay location and that’s what I’m asking. I’m just clarifying that it’s not the fuse as people have different terms for parts. Your reply is of no help

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Talon is this the kind of smartass comments I’m going to get from people on this site. If so I’ll try elsewhere I can’t find any resources as to the relay location and that’s what I’m asking. I’m just clarifying that it’s not the fuse as people have different terms for parts. Your reply is of no help
Your grasp or lack of, of the English language isnt my problem. He CLEARLY said where the BOSE RELAY is in the first sentence of the 2nd paragraph.. Look up RELAY and FUSE and see the difference. Your first post asking for clarification isnt even needed for clarification.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Did you even read the post you quoted? A relay is not a fuse and its under the hood.
Perhaps he wanted to know the exact location of the relay and wanting to make sure that he isn't confusing relays with fuses.

I hope you don't mind giving us a few details about your car like model, etc. For the mean time, I'll look at my Owner's Manual and post it here later and hope that its location is similar to yours.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks archerfish it’s a 2010 grand touring I model (4 cyl). Here’s pics of the amp and head unit. I cannot find anything in manual or fuse box map that shows a amp relay
C2A84814-189A-4C6D-9DED-3118F0CE91A4.jpeg
0390E154-0E48-485D-91D6-718EC23E21C8.jpeg
C2A84814-189A-4C6D-9DED-3118F0CE91A4.jpeg

·
Registered
614 Posts
Talon is this the kind of smartass comments I’m going to get from people on this site. If so I’ll try elsewhere I can’t find any resources as to the relay locatio n and that’s what I’m asking. I’m just clarifying that it’s not the fuse as people have different terms for parts. Your reply is of no help
Please don't judge the whole site off of 1 persons response. There are many informative people that regular here and can help with MOST situations. Some log in daily and others may be once a week but most of us do try to help when/if we can.

As for your issue, I'm as of no help on the matter. I'm sure someone will have the correct info or may even help find it.

@DJ Raydiate
What car again do you have?
Mine is an 03. TBH, I'm not even sure if mine has a relay for the factory amp or not lol. The only thing that I have powered from that circuit/harness is the ceiling mount monitor that I installed last year. before that it was capped off beings that I'm on aftermarket amps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks DJ. Your response is exactly what I was looking for. Regardless of having nothing to add I appreciate your response. As luck would have it I found a amp at the wreckers for 20$ That I’m going to at least try to troubleshoot. I can’t find anything about a relay under the hood anywhere

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Thanks DJ. Your response is exactly what I was looking for. Regardless of having nothing to add I appreciate your response. As luck would have it I found a amp at the wreckers for 20$ That I’m going to at least try to troubleshoot. I can’t find anything about a relay under the hood anywhere
You also posted in the wrong section, this is for 1st Gen cars... It sounds like your ADDING Bose, not troubleshooting existing Bose. That brings a whole slew of other issues...

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I think I know what happened when I had the door and fender off I sprayed rustproofing including in the main pillar where the wire harness runs. Problem is it when right through into the kick panel area and into the back of the amp where there are air vents to cool the amp.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts