Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

I recently purchased an 06 6s Sport with the std cd player and it's somewhat lacking IMO.

So I was thinking since the audio and HVAC systems are somewhat tied together that if I could replace my head unit with a Bose uint with changer I could add an aftermarket amp and speakers.
I've read a thread or 2 about creating a line out harness to connect to an amp so I'm good with that.

My concerns are....
1 will the std cd player harness work with the Bose unit?
2 would I have to modify the harness? (don't want to do that)
3 would I loose any functionality in the display?
4 and are there any other issues I might come across?

Oh, and I love my 6 :drive:
Thx,
z

·
Registered
159 Posts
Howdy all,

I recently purchased an 06 6s Sport with the std cd player and it's somewhat lacking IMO.

So I was thinking since the audio and HVAC systems are somewhat tied together that if I could replace my head unit with a Bose uint with changer I could add an aftermarket amp and speakers.
I've read a thread or 2 about creating a line out harness to connect to an amp so I'm good with that.

My concerns are....
Oh, and I love my 6 :drive:
Thx,
z
[/b]
1. Yes, it should be plug and play
2. Nope. See #1
3. Nope, it will work fine.
4. None other than the fact that you might Balk at the price of the BOSE headunit. It is kinda expensive.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4. None other than the fact that you might Balk at the price of the BOSE headunit. It is kinda expensive.
[/b]
Fully planed on looking for a used unit for due to pricing. I spent 12 years in the auto indstry (sales/sales mgmt/finance mgmt) so I understand parts counter pricing.

And thanks for the info, much appreciated :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just purchased a Mazda6s Sport Hatchback today and mine has the std cd player also. From what it sounds like I can directly hook in the bose unit into my std harness? What if I don't change anything else? Meaning I leave my speaker setup as it is, but get the bose 6 disc changer.... The point would be for the 6 disc changer, not the bose sound...
Also, I found a whole center dashboard, here is the description:
03 04 Mazda 6 Bose Am/Fm/6 CD Changer w/Climate
This is for factory optional car stereo from a 2004 Mazda 6. This is an Am mono, Fm stereo receiver with an in-dash, 6 disc, CD changer, and automatically controlled climate controls all built-in one unit! This stereo is part of the optional Bose sound system. This stereo is in very good used condition, and will fit the following vehicles: 2003-2004 Mazda 6
[attachmentid=16482]

Now, I have a 2005, would it fit in my dash since it says 03-04? Or maybe I just want to switch the cd changer head unit, and that should work fine?

Here are more pics if that helps....
[attachmentid=16485]
[attachmentid=16484]
[attachmentid=16483]

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
Are you sure the Bose will work with a standard system? Arent the newer Bose systems H/U use line level output and not speaker level outputs. I thought the Bose headunit doesnt have an intera IC amp just preamp outptus.

·
Registered
159 Posts
QUOTE(zPacKRat @ Oct 20 2006, 11:07 AM)

Howdy all,

My concerns are....
Oh, and I love my 6
Thx,
z

[/b]

1. Yes, it should be plug and play
2. Nope. See #1
3. Nope, it will work fine.

I think I answered the questions. Also, yes, it will fit the 05 dash even though it says 03-04. Also, you don't have to use the whole dash, you just swap in the back part.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Looks like your gonna have to just plug it up and find out. However, I still think it wont work because of the fact it's driving an amp and not speakers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I found a Bose amplifier and sub, but I don't know with they will work with my 06s hatchback. The amplifer says it came out of a Mazda6 and was trunk mounted, I thought they were all under the pass seat? Look at the pick, could I make it work? The Sub, looks like it my be a hatchback sub that goes in the spare tire? I've never seen one, is that how they look? If I got the 6 disc changer, these would all hook up, right?
[attachmentid=16580]
[attachmentid=16579]
[attachmentid=16578]

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
The tweeters and 4 midrange spkr are driven by the amp iunder the seat. The rear deck sub is driven by its own up mounted underneath the subs diver.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
From what it sounds like I can directly hook in the bose unit into my std harness? What if I don't change anything else? Meaning I leave my speaker setup as it is, but get the bose 6 disc changer.... The point would be for the 6 disc changer, not the bose sound...

Also, I found a whole center dashboard, here is the description:
03 04 Mazda 6 Bose Am/Fm/6 CD Changer w/Climate

Now, I have a 2005, would it fit in my dash since it says 03-04? Or maybe I just want to switch the cd changer head unit, and that should work fine?

[/b]
The 6disc cd changer is removable from the entire console, so I would just swap that with your current single disc instead of swapping the entire console. However if all you want is the cd changer then it is probably cheaper to just find a sole 6-disc cd changer instead of the entire console + shipping. The swap should work without a problem.

If you wanted to use the entire console then you will need an amp (without one the volume will be very very low.) Oh and if your car did not come stock with Autoclimate control, then you will not be able to use this Auto A/c console.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The tweeters and 4 midrange spkr are driven by the amp iunder the seat. The rear deck sub is driven by its own up mounted underneath the subs diver.
[/b]

Okay... So what I was asking is if you know if that is a seat mount amp or not. Does it just need new brackets, or is the amp a diff size? And about the sub, is it for a hatch, meaning does it fit in the spare tire...I don't know what they look like, but it seems it might fit?

·
Registered
159 Posts
You are all reading into it WAY too much. You don't have to worry about the amp and the speakers. The head unit works perfectly with the stock system. No bose amp or speakers needed. Just trust me, I know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
703 Posts
You are all reading into it WAY too much. You don't have to worry about the amp and the speakers. The head unit works perfectly with the stock system. No bose amp or speakers needed. Just trust me, I know what I am talking about.
[/b]

Have you tried it befor? I've put a bose deck into a non bose sytem in a 2000 Mazda 626. guess what, volume was completey outta wack. The custmer had to get a OEM non bose deck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
[/b]
I'm not saying that I need them... I want them. Does anyone know if that sub in the pic will fit in the spare tire?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Okay... So what I was asking is if you know if that is a seat mount amp or not. Does it just need new brackets, or is the amp a diff size? And about the sub, is it for a hatch, meaning does it fit in the spare tire...I don't know what they look like, but it seems it might fit?
[/b]

I didnt see the first thumb nail. Yes thats the amp for under the seat. You have the sytem for the sedan's bose system. as far as the hatch, I havent seen the set up personally so I couldnt tell if the sub will work. the bose sub in the sedan is a free air sub designed to be used on the back deck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Have you tried it befor? I've put a bose deck into a non bose sytem in a 2000 Mazda 626. guess what, volume was completey outta wack. The custmer had to get a OEM non bose deck.
[/b]
Its been done before by members on this board.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Its been done before by members on this board.
[/b]
I've done it before myself personally. If you install the bose headunit on a non-bose system and do not install an amp you will hear almost nothing. The bose headunit requires an amp.

mazda6_stealth, for the amount that you will pay for the bose sub and amp you are better off buying a better aftermarket amp and sub.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Remember that the Bose only has line level outputs, so they are meant to connected to an amp, without the amp you get little to no sound.

The reason I started this thread was to find out if I could maintain all functionality of the HVAC and Display by just upgrading to a Bose head unit, then install AFTERMARKET speakers and an amp since the std stereo system is a bit lacking.

So without having both to compare, does the Bose have a separate harness to feed the amp? or is it a variation of the std wiring?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts