Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By now, every Mazda6er that is considering doing HID knows that retrofitting is THE way to go. Going with a clean OEM-like HID beam pattern, fit and finish and knowing the stock halogen headlights were engineered to accept such HID components. The Bosch projectors virtually swap out the halogen ones, and the igniters/ballasts fit in their respective pockets withing the headlight assembly.

The specific ballast/igniter setup must be a Bosch Gen2 (used in E46 BMWs, Audi TTs, etc) to fit perfectly. To get these components from a BMW or Audi dealership makes it price prohibitive, and getting some from ebay, well, one rolls the dice. I really like the www.hidplanet.com OEM kit (for a reasonable $399), but it comes with a Hella ballast/integrated igniter, which would not install cleanly into the Mazda6 headlight. . .I really like the ECE (Euro) Bosch projectors they come with though.

Anyway, does anyone know of a reliable source to get new or near new Bosch Gen2 ballasts ?? I don't want to get ones from ebay from sources that use same pictures depicting their product in different transactions, it's just :huh: I know they are a tough find, but they should be some around. . .

TIA :beer:

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
from my research of what i've done i think that the ballast on HIDPLANET.COM...the HELLA ballast will fit in the spot...take a look at Tim's measurements...be sure to scroll down a few pictures to take a look at the measurements...and i think he also gives them later in the first post....I SAY DO IT!!!! RETRO BABY! RETROOOOOOO

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=29801

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
yes.. i would say that every ballast (even the aftermarket ones) would fit underneath our headlight.... it's only a matter of looking stock... that was what i was looking for before i did my retro, but now, i'd rather get NEW ballast (or used ballast with lifetime warranty) and just swap the projector....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indeed, HIDPLANET.com is the way to go when retrofitting, especially with the potential of them being able to get the Bosch Gen2 ballasts.

Yep, you heard right, I spoke with HIDPLANET's principal and I mentioned how I'd wish his kit came with Bosch (instead of Philips) ballasts. . . He said that if there was enough need, he MAY be able get these from his source in Europe. It'd be based on quantity - so if there's Mazda6ers here that want new Bosch HID components, contact them. Price would be the same if not a little less.

Hope enough need arises and get the Bosch ballasts! I'll keep people here posted.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
well.. i tried to do a GB with them with our club, but not enough interest back then... they needed 10people for -20bucks + free shipping... for the package.. i didnt ask them for the bosch gen 2 al ballast...

but good luck, and if they are going to do it, let me know, i wanna change my ballast as well...

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Yeah, consider me mildly interested too. I've been wanting to do this for quite some time now.
[/b]
if it wasnt for the bike,,, :nana:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm working on availability of NEW Bosch Gen2 ballasts which fit snugly under our stock headlights.

Please chime in if you are interested in doing an HID retrofit :drive:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
BoneKrusher
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing