Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you buy a pair of projectors from hidplanet, do they only come as a pair of left or right projectors instead of one of each? This is what seems to be the case from all the posts I've been reading. If that is indeed the case, is anyone looking to purchase the e46 kit from hidplanet? I was thinking that if the two of us ordered one LHD configuration and one RHD configuration, we could just trade one of the projectors with each other and we'd both have a left and right projector for our 6's. I haven't seen any posts mentioning this idea so I don't know if this is possible or if it's a bad idea. Other than the projectors, would there be any other differences between a LHD and RHD kit? hidplanet sells ece projectors so there wouldn't be any problems with mismatched projector lenses (ie. 1 d.o.t and 1 ece)? There's a sale going on right now so I'm hoping somebody else is looking to save a few dollars on a retrofit project ^^;;

And while I have your attention, I've got kind of a dumb questions about HID's and hi-beams. Does flashing your hi-beams hurt the HID's in any way?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Ok... *cracks knuckles* here's the deal:

There are two concepts that you need to keep straight in your mind: LHD vs. RHD and driver's side vs. passenger side. These two concepts are not the same thing.

RHD vs. LHD:

Most people in North America are quite unfamiliar with this concept since all our cars are LHD. LHD means "Left Hand Drive"... i.e. steering wheel on the left side of the car. RHD means "Right Hand Drive".

How does this affect your headlights? Its simple. When your steering wheel is on the left, that means you drive on the right side of the road. Oncoming traffic passes you on the left side. When your steering wheel is on the right, you drive on the left and oncoming traffic passes you on the right. When you drive on the right, your headlights are aimed towards the outside of the road, i.e. to the right, and vice versa for when you drive on the left. If it were the other way around, you'd end up shining your lights into the eyes of oncoming drivers.

I'm originally from the UK where cars are RHD, which means they drive on the left. Therefore, their headlights are pointing towards the left. Germany, OTOH, is a country where cars are LHD and they drive on the right. Now, imagine a tourist from Germany driving his car onto a ferry to visit the UK. When he drives on UK roads, he drives on the left, but his headlights are pointing to the right and therefore directly into the eyes of oncoming traffic.

This is where RHD and LHD projectors come into the picture. A RHD projector will shine the light to the left, and a LHD projector will shine light to the right. All this really means is that the cutoff shield inside the projector is oriented in one of two directions.

Now lets talk about driver's side projector vs. passenger side projector. This has to do with the mounting holes on the projector housing itself. The shape of the Bosch E46 projector is assymetrical with a notch cut out on one side. One projector is designed to fit the left side headlight and the other for the right side. These projectors will both shine the light to the same side of the road, regardless of where they're mounted.

The HID Planet Bosch projectors, I believe, are both for the driver's side (or both for the passenger side). But they're all LHD. I don't think they offer RHD projectors.

Now, to convert a LHD to a RHD projector is a matter of loosening a few screws and flipping the cutoff shield over. Operation takes 2 minutes.

Whew... with me so far? Good.

Now for the big question: Is it a show-stopper to have two driver's side (or two passenger side) projectors? A while back there was some information being spread to the effect that, yes, you can't have two projectors for the same side of the car. I believe, however, that several 6club members have dispelled that myth and discovered that it indeed doesn't make a difference. The screw holes line up pretty decently anyway.

So... get the projectors and don't worry about the whole left and right business.

HIDPlanet has only sold the ECE variant of the Bosch E46 projector, to my knowledge, and I've been watching them for over a year now. So, no worries about getting a DOT one by mistake... and this sale's not about to end anytime soon... I don't think. Well, it better not end, cuz I'm thinking of grabbing some of those ECE's myself.

To answer the last question, I need to assume two things: 1. that you're installing the HID system into your low-beams and 2. that you've got an 04 or 05 model car. If this is the case then, yes, flashing your high-beam is an issue. What's been discovered is that when your low-beams are off and you flash your high-beams, your low-beams come on for the brief duration of the flash. This makes flashing your high-beams during daylight hours an inadvisable move since there's potential for damaging your ballasts. Ballasts don't take well to rapid on/off activity. There's no issue, however, when your low-beams are already on, and on the 06's the lighting system operates quite differently anyway so the above doesn't apply.

No one in their right mind would install HIDs in their high-beams :)

Hope these answers help.

·
Registered
313 Posts
wow thought you'd have a simple reply. haha.
but covered it well.

also i didnt know about the highbeam issue on the 04's. uh-oh.
and i thought hidplanet sold both dot's and ece's. good thing i wanted to opt for the ece's anyways.

but also as for the projectors i think the right side/passenger side can only match two of the three screw holes. but everyone is fine with just two and i think some have found a way to tie down the third one.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
hmm.... read this first...

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=29183

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=29801

then this

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=30443

Recently, there's a "hot" topic in hidplanet forums... and that is how to "up" the wattage of Bosch AL gen 2 ballast.. and it's successful, BUT the resistor is so small, not every DIY-er can do it without the fine tip of the soldering iron... and it's not really been tested for a long time without heat sink.... Denso ballast are very good, but modding them into a 50+ watt ballast is very hard, and people are asking 400bucks to mod them...

read this
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21715

using OEM ballast with stock halogen projector is just like getting a HID kit..... retrofit = change the halogen projector/reflector into TRUE Xenon projector.... people can also opt for reflector based xenon (eg. D1/2S like acura CL(or TL) prev- gen i guess, or even the new acura CSX)

so basically, no real xenon projector/reflector = glare to oncoming traffic. good luck man !!!

EDIT: BTW, if u r debating between hella and bosch from hid planet package deal, check this site.http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...&hl=finally

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
TIM to the rescue! :)
[/b]
haroon... we were the duos in TO6club for retro or lighting stuffs... now that u r in vanc..... :tear: :tear: :tear: :tear:

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
hahah that's true huh??? and since haroon is the mod there... UAUAHAHA he has more previledge... euhehe..

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Emmm... guys, remember Hiep? He's still our ring-leader. Need to pay homage to DA KING of retrofits...

Tim, feel free to visit anytime... uauahahaha... euhehe.. :)

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
lol.... my friend just got a job in vanc after he graduated... damn !! wish i can go there and work as well.. lol..

·
Registered
141 Posts
haha yea this is great info. im definatly going to do an hid upgrade sometime in the near future (i can now slowly see my internship savings going towared car expenses instead of tuition lol) .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know if anyone else has ordered from hidplanet lately but I received left and right projectors instead of two identical projectors for a single side. They have notches on opposing sides so I'm assuming it's left and right sides. I'd say that's a nice surprise. The ballast conenctors are back orderd tho' :(

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I don't know if anyone else has ordered from hidplanet lately but I received left and right projectors instead of two identical projectors for a single side. They have notches on opposing sides so I'm assuming it's left and right sides. I'd say that's a nice surprise. The ballast conenctors are back orderd tho' :(
[/b]
The "ballast connectors" as you call them, don't need to be gotten from HIDPlanet. I got mine from my friendly neighbourhood BMW dealer. Audi will sell them as well, since the TT has the same projectors.

Just walz into a BMW dealer and tell the parts guy that you have a 2002 325i with Xenons, and that you need the bulb retainer rings that go on the projectors.

It'll cost you about $30 for the pair... ballpark figure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.