Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first of all, for all you sarcastic people out there... I did do a search for this subject and didn't come accross anything that answered my questions. Perhaps I missed something... If I did, i'm sorry... :)

Anywas I'm curious about boost controllers. I've discovered so far that they can increase your boost that your turbo is putting out? I would like to install one on my MS6 if they are safe. I mean I don't wanna go breaking something for a few extra HP... Also does it actually increase HP? I'm assuming it does since it adds boost...

So I guess i'm asking are they safe? What exactly do they do? How do they work? and are you guys running with them???

Thanks...

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
It's not going to add boost persay. Your turbo is maxed out at a certain psi. What it will do is allow you to set the amount of psi that your turbo spools to at a certain time. So right not the turbo will max out spooling at like 5500 RPM, you can set the boost controller so that it will spool longer.

Hence the name "boost controller." It allows you to control the boost from the turbo.

There are 2 kinds: Manual boost controller which can only be controlled by manually turning a knob on the controller under the hood, and Electronic boost controller, which will allow you to control the boost from inside the cabin via a wired solinoid.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Ok first of all, for all you sarcastic people out there... I did do a search for this subject and didn't come accross anything that answered my questions. Perhaps I missed something... If I did, i'm sorry... :)
Anywas I'm curious about boost controllers. I've discovered so far that they can increase your boost that your turbo is putting out? I would like to install one on my MS6 if they are safe. I mean I don't wanna go breaking something for a few extra HP... Also does it actually increase HP? I'm assuming it does since it adds boost...

So I guess i'm asking are they safe? What exactly do they do? How do they work? and are you guys running with them???
Thanks...
[/b]
a boost controller will add boost, will help spool the turbo faster, and will keep boost pressure longer. there are no peak gains, but there are gains where the spool up and drop off occur. here is a dyno of an mbc vs. stock.

boost controllers work by restricting the boost pressure to the wastegate actuator. for example, a ball and spring boost controller will hold back boost until it reaches the desired psi. the spring will then open under that psi and the boost will leak towards the wastegate actuator. the wastegate actuator works in the same manor. (this is the case where the stock boost controller is disconnected)

It's not going to add boost persay. Your turbo is maxed out at a certain psi. What it will do is allow you to set the amount of psi that your turbo spools to at a certain time. So right not the turbo will max out spooling at like 5500 RPM, you can set the boost controller so that it will spool longer.
[/b]
incorrect. boost controllers control the amount of pressure built within the pipes. most people with boost controllers are running 17psi currently. stock is 15.6.

a turbo is not rated by psi, but by cfm, a unit of volumetric flow. the turbo compressor pushes air into the closed volume, or pipes in this case, and thus the more air you put into a given volume, the greater the pressure becomes.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I meant that stock, the turbo is maxed at a certain psi and with the boost controller, that can be changed. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
a boost controller will add boost, will help spool the turbo faster, and will keep boost pressure longer. there are no peak gains, but there are gains where the spool up and drop off occur. here is a dyno of an mbc vs. stock.

boost controllers work by restricting the boost pressure to the wastegate actuator. for example, a ball and spring boost controller will hold back boost until it reaches the desired psi. the spring will then open under that psi and the boost will leak towards the wastegate actuator. the wastegate actuator works in the same manor. (this is the case where the stock boost controller is disconnected)
incorrect. boost controllers control the amount of pressure built within the pipes. most people with boost controllers are running 17psi currently. stock is 15.6.

a turbo is not rated by psi, but by cfm, a unit of volumetric flow. the turbo compressor pushes air into the closed volume, or pipes in this case, and thus the more air you put into a given volume, the greater the pressure becomes.
[/b]
You are the man! Seriously, ryceboi. No sarcasm, I love that there are people here that know this detailed sh!t.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
You are the man! Seriously, ryceboi. No sarcasm, I love that there are people here that know this detailed sh!t.

Cheers!
[/b]
+1

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
its only bad if you're running lean and it starts knocking. so far, there have been no reported issues with boost controllers. if you overboost, the ECU will cut fuel, so there is a defenser against running too much boost. this is why everyone is only running 17psi. it is limited by the computer, not by the mechanical pieces.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I'd like to piont out that once you get most of the basic mods done the car will hold more boost without a boost controller. I hold between 17~18 psi up until about 5500 rpm with the stock boost soleniod still controlling things. An MBC will hold the boost level higher up in the RPM range, but it is putting alot of extra strain on our turbo wich is already operating way outside effiencey map.

You probably wont hurt anuthing if your carful, but I would not install a MBC on any car that does not have a wideband guage installed. Regardless of how rich these car's run it only takes one problem or one stuck injector to blow a motor--and you'll never notice a fuel problem without a wideband.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Now here comes the warranty question...say you run 17lbs, something breaks, you turn it back to stock and take the MBC or EBC (whichever) off. Is the dealer going to know that you were running higher boost? I'd love to start modding my baby Mazda more, but I'm more concerned about keeping my warranty in check since my dealer is already fussy about me wanting to put a CAI on. :irate:

Ryceboi, good info as always!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
If anyone is interested, I have a Blitz dual spec S postd in the for sale section(Electronic Boost Controller).

Also have a TurboXS FCBC. But that I probably will use one day.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
if you do break something with a boost controller, the ECU will log all the parameters that occured when your motor broke. the dealer will look at the log and see, hey, it says 19psi here. it's not your typical bolt on that you can remove if something happens.

if you do choose to go with a boost controller, you should just get a manual one. they do exactly the same thing that an ebc does, except it doesnt cost 400 dollars. i suggest you get one made of aluminum or that has aluminum fittings. the brass ones tend to corrode. turbosmart, joe p, turboxs, hallman, just to name a few.

If anyone is interested, I have a Blitz dual spec S postd in the for sale section(Electronic Boost Controller).

Also have a TurboXS FCBC. But that I probably will use one day.
[/b]

why havent you hooked up the fcbc yet? email jermaine at txs and get the maps and instructions for the ms6. theyve already tuned cherryspeed's ms6 so you should get on that since u've got one already.

just another thing. since the boost controller isnt adding any gain to the peak, running higher psi isnt necessary. you can very well run 15-16psi without the dealer detecting anything out of the ordinary. the gains are from climbing and falling areas of the the hp band and the boost controller will still give you those at 15-16psi.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts