Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have weird issue where if I'm making a left turn it seems like the backend is bouncing / swaying.

It only happens at certain speeds. (75ish around a gradual highway turn or 40+ish around a back road turn). Mazda 6 2018 Gt.

The tires stay grounded and don't slide. I just got new performance tires and it's still happening. The alignment is fine. Brakes are fine. Installed a new sway bar and strut tower yesterday and it's still happening. The car doesn't fishtail. I don't lose contact with the road at all, the backend of the body itself seems to sway aggressively back and forth. And it's only noticeable on left turns.

The dealership said "you're probably taking the turn too fast" but I don't trust that since I know some of you have taken yours to the track and my boyfriend can drive his infiniti Q50 around the same turn just fine and probably a lot faster than I can without it happening.

I got in a freak accident awhile ago and I'm sure it would be from that since it's a fairly new car. I can't replicate the issue where the dealer is because all the roads are pretty much completely straight.

At a loss. Am I driving too fast? Is it an actual issue? I took it to the dealer and they didn't do anything so. Just said "couldn't replicate" and sent me on my way.

·
Registered
2016 6
156 Posts
Depending on the mileage and how much damage was caused by the accident it could very well be the struts and springs in the rear. I would start by looking to see if there is any type of fluid leaking from the rear struts or any types of cracks or breaks in the springs. It also wouldn't hurt to have your alignment checked being that you just got new tires as well. Before I installed a front strut tower bar on my 16 6 I did notice there was a lot of body roll when coming around turns with some speed but when I put the strut bar in most of that feeling went away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depending on the mileage and how much damage was caused by the accident it could very well be the struts and springs in the rear. I would start by looking to see if there is any type of fluid leaking from the rear struts or any types of cracks or breaks in the springs. It also wouldn't hurt to have your alignment checked being that you just got new tires as well. Before I installed a front strut tower bar on my 16 6 I did notice there was a lot of body roll when coming around turns with some speed but when I put the strut bar in most of that feeling went away.
I currently have approx 24,500 miles on the car so I'd imagine if it were the struts or springs it'd either be a warranty claim or I can hound my insurance for not fixing my car properly. There was substantial damage done (roughly $12k) so I wouldn't be surprised if they missed something. They did a 4 wheel alignment at the shop when I got the tires on about 2 weeks ago but it's been happening for months now.

It feels a lot more than body roll. It's almost as if it's fishtailing but without the tires losing contact with the road. And it only happens on left turns. It's such an odd thing. And it being hard to replicate near the dealer makes it that much more difficult to fix. Thank you! I'll mention that to the dealer.

·
Registered
2016 6
156 Posts
I currently have approx 24,500 miles on the car so I'd imagine if it were the struts or springs it'd either be a warranty claim or I can hound my insurance for not fixing my car properly. There was substantial damage done (roughly $12k) so I wouldn't be surprised if they missed something. They did a 4 wheel alignment at the shop when I got the tires on about 2 weeks ago but it's been happening for months now.

It feels a lot more than body roll. It's almost as if it's fishtailing but without the tires losing contact with the road. And it only happens on left turns. It's such an odd thing. And it being hard to replicate near the dealer makes it that much more difficult to fix. Thank you! I'll mention that to the dealer.
Unfortunately any time a serious accident/damage happens it’s almost impossible to get the car back the way it was, again I would mainly focus on the rear suspension being the issue here but who knows maybe the entire body has been shifted due to the impact. Hopefully you figure it out soon.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would definitely check the alignment again. Rear toe can make a very big difference, especially outward rear toe. And Trollz3457 is right - pretty hard to fix a unibody car with a big hit. Sorry...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts