Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im quite sick of the body roll in our cars and need some advise on what to do to get rid of it. I really dont want to put springs on the car if i dont have to. Will sway bars help out at all or am i going to have to lower the car? Any advice would be helpful?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to keep the ride comfort the same also. My car seems to drive nice at high speed on a straight away!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
That's what sway bars do, they are also known as anti-roll bars. They will decrease ride comfort slightly, but the reduction of body roll will be massive (at least with the RB bars).

·
Registered
184 Posts
I want to keep the ride comfort the same also. My car seems to drive nice at high speed on a straight away!
[/b]

If you combine lowering springs with a proper increase of spring rate and swaybars you will make your car feel much more stable. If you go one step further and replace your shocks with some koni's you would not have a negative feel at all in your car. Do a search about sptings and you will come up with a ton of info.

I replaced my springs and rear swaybar and noticed a huge decrease in body roll. I am going to replace the shocks in a few months when I have some more cash.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
like everyone else says, sway bars.

but if you ever decide you want to not be a pansy. get coilovers. woot. :) ;) just messin.

·
Registered
270 Posts
off topic: arch's avatar looks like a negative of the stig. evil stig.

on topic: sway bars will have the least effect on the ride of the car while helpping the most with roll. if you get springs and want to keep a good ride, looks for a set with a progressive rate. they're soft around the first inch of travel to absorb minor road imperfections and then stiffen up as the suspension compresses in hard corners.
also, the tires play a large part in ride. all season as opposed to summer tires will generally ride better and last longer.

but if you want to see a sport sedan with some body roll, go drive a G6. I had the GTP for a rental when I was on vacation this year and loved it but man does that thing roll over like a dog wanting it's belly rubbed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
it has been said many times on this forums that the Racing Beat rear swaybar is THE mod that everyone should do. (or something like that). decreases the body roll on the back thus decreases the understeer of the car so your car will go where you want a lot better around corners. and its a pretty inexpensive mod (<$150) compared to other suspension upgrades. DO IT NOW!! I just ordered mine.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
off topic: arch's avatar looks like a negative of the stig. evil stig.

on topic: sway bars will have the least effect on the ride of the car while helpping the most with roll. if you get springs and want to keep a good ride, looks for a set with a progressive rate. they're soft around the first inch of travel to absorb minor road imperfections and then stiffen up as the suspension compresses in hard corners.
also, the tires play a large part in ride. all season as opposed to summer tires will generally ride better and last longer.

but if you want to see a sport sedan with some body roll, go drive a G6. I had the GTP for a rental when I was on vacation this year and loved it but man does that thing roll over like a dog wanting it's belly rubbed.
[/b]
That is the black stig, I take it you haven't been watching top gear for very long :)

And yes, sway bars sound like they are the perfect modification for you...

Check out Sabrina's new GB on the Mazdaspeed bars, not quite as beefy as the RB's but would still add some great stability...

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I will have a review of the Mazdaspeed sways next week when I get my car back, (Y-pipe fix, with Kooks). They've been installed, so it will be interesting to see how well the work in conjunction with the Mazdaspeed springs for the wagon/hatch.

The next suspension upgrade is Koni's.

·
Registered
270 Posts
That is the black stig, I take it you haven't been watching top gear for very long [/b]
I've got season 1 thru 8 but it's been a long time since I've seen anything but the newer ones.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
RB bars reduce roll 50%, and reduce front weight transfer about 7%

MS bars reduce roll 32%, and keep oem weight transfer bias.

MS6 F bar, and Progress rear ... 24% less roll, bias like RB bars.

25% stiffer springs, no drop, 12% less roll

If you have rough roads, you will know you have stiff RB bars. Stiff bars undermine the finness (and independence) of a well designed multi-link suspension.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts