Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This from AutoWeek:

'We have this on the highest authority: Your excuses for wanting to dangle BMW design chief Chris Bangle from a tree for what he did to your beloved 7 Series will be all but eliminated by year’s end.

BMW sources in Germany tell us that Bangle and his team have been hard at work restyling the car since moments after the reskinned 7 premiered to “glaringly negative” reaction at the 2001 Frankfurt show.

Look for an all-new tail and face, with an improved trunk-lid line and the elimination of the Dame Edna eyebrows (see dame-edna.com, then you’ll understand) over the headlights.

With the 5 Series being the big news for the Frankfurt show in September, the redone 7 Series will appear perhaps “as early as Tokyo [Oct. 25 to Nov. 6] or maybe Detroit, but no later,” our source reports, following the fastest model redo in the history of the proud Munich firm.'

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?por...t_code=02012541

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Reading Topic: BMW 7 getting restyled already...

No, I think it was just an obvious statement.

I think the new BMW:s look like Rovers. What could one expect from putting an englishman in the lead of the design of Germany's most important car brand?

It's treason. Mark my words.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Replying to Topic 'BMW 7 getting restyled already...'

Originally posted by junkan

I think they will take the i-drive away soon too.[/b]
I dont think so, I just hope they will improve it so it will be easier to use. It is a pretty cool concept.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

The old 7-series was the best looking car BMW ever done. So elegant and beutiful... And powerful and big in the same time *wiping tear from eye*...

The present 7-seris does look good in ... I don't know who don it.. I thin´k... Hamann-styiling.

But they sure look like Rovers.. A little Volvo in the rear as well. And bah.. Don't like.. I do like the Z4. Looks awesome compared to the Z3, which made the Miata look like a 800hp supercal in comparison.

I'm wating for the new 6-seris though. Seems to look very good. But they are german nazicars and will always be.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

In the '90s BMW made nicer cars than Mercedes. This has completely changed IMO. There's just no 'harmony' anymore in the BMW design. It's only the sum of fractured design elements put together.

·
Registered
319 Posts

I agree. I would much rather have a BMW of 2 years ago, than the current trend. I still would seriously consider buying one simply because of the sportiness (and manual tranny)

However, BMW is going in the wrong direction, while MB is doing things VERY right. I'm not a fan of the S Class, but the new C, E, CL, CLK, ans SL are magnificent. I was not a fan of the old SL, but the new car is one of the most gorgeous cars I've ever seen.

Am I the only one who finds the SL to be so sexy I drop my jaw each time I see one? That says a lot about MB in the last few years coming from someone who, if I had the money, would never have considered buying a MB product. Now I would.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

BMW 740i,-96 20” Alpina rims. The car is on a car-sale-page so I don't know how long the pic will work. But this car gott CLASS! Of course - the 20" Alpinas help, but it's something... an aura of respect or something :)

·
Registered
174 Posts

Originally posted by Jerome81

Am I the only one who finds the SL to be so sexy I drop my jaw each time I see one?  [/b]
Nope... I know exactly what you mean. :)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Yeah the SL is incredible. I love the interior too. But you can't get that with an MT right?

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Reading Topic: Readi

You can get it with a 6-gear MT (SL 350). That should be fun. But if you want the 12-cylinder (SL 600, only comes with an AT) with 500 hp you would have to put $125.000 onto the counter. :D

Actually I see one particular SL from time to time, but telling from this guy's driving style I would say he needs a complete set of tires every 2000 miles.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: BMW 7 getting restyled already...

I like the current 7 series front end, but its the back end that makes you wonder what BMW was smoking. Thankfully, b/c they sell so many more 3 series and 5 series, they won't screw with them as much since they are BMW bread and butter cars. The new 5 series could look really cool. I personally still like Mercedes for the big "limo" like cars. The S class and the new E class are awesome, if "I" have to be driven around, thats what I want.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Originally posted by Brillo
I like the current 7 series front end, but its the back end that makes you wonder what BMW was smoking.[/b]
Exactly, the current 7 also looks great in profile, IMO. It's just that trunk line...it's an Aztek-level styling blunder.

My major problem with it is IDrive. I took a ride in a new seven a few days ago, and IDrive is truly worthy of the negetive hype. Awful stuff.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts