Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics of my KSport coilover. All 4 shocks are completely blown. This is only after 1 year 3 months and 12k miles with only 4 autocrosses. The rears won't even rebound from it's full compressed state, as you can see in the pictures. Sad...I guess you do get what you paid for. $750 out the window.

Here's a little upclose shot (oil galore!):

Here's a comparison of the Ksport fronts versus one of the Stock strut housing w/ Koni's and Megan Racing Springs:

The drop so far is very nice. It's about two finger wide. Probably have to give it a few days until it settles.

Although I do notice something different. Turn in is not as crisp as with the KSport. It might be due to the Koni's being set to full soft. I don't know...I'm not a suspension guru. I'm also getting this very light squishy sound from the passenger front side every time I make a quick swerve or turn to the right. Anyone might have a clue what that could be? I'll get some more pics of the drop on the car later.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
That's why I won't be cheap out on performance parts. Glad I have the KW V2, both height and damper adjustable. The ride is great, stable and balanced.

·
Registered
159 Posts
those ksports look VERY similar to the d2's, just a different color. Didn't I read about someone's d2's blowing out also?

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, KSport and D2 are the same.

I heard the KW V2 are great. Yeah, definitely stick to the better parts now.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Agreed they are the same. The rear shocks do not have any rebound to them. I have seen many sets of them and out of the box they do not rebound, just dampen. This is why koni is a great alternative.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
After many request, ksport already agreed to offer the original rear shocks upon request of the buyer, the shock performance much better but makes noises at speeds below 25mph when cold.

dawei, you might want to talk to ksport just to see what they can do for you as they are very buyer friendly and should give you a good resolution. I will let them know as well. Your rear shock most likely is not blown, they are fluid shocks and don't rebound when you press them in. talk to me on im and i can give you some more details

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, I wasn't aware of the rears shocks were designed like that. That's good general information. I thought the rears might've been blown but maybe not then. But I know both my fronts are definitely gone.

I've send you a PM heronew. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
This brakes my heart dawei. :tear: Mainly casue they're coils not shocks. Maybe they should make German brand suspension kits for our car.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This brakes my heart dawei. :tear: Mainly casue they're coils not shocks. Maybe they should make German brand suspension kits for our car.
[/b]
What do you mean by "Mainly casue they're coils not shocks"? As for German brand suspensions, there is the H&R coilover kit, though I don't know if anyone has tried them out yet.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Contacted KSport and they said they can only offer me repair/replacement of the shock for $100 each for the fronts. I did ask them if it's normal for the shocks to not last as long as it did. We'll see what they have to say.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
This is a tough combo for any shock to survive:

- very high rate springs
- very high rate RB bars
- philly streets (esp winters)

Koni's and much softer megans should last much longer.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Contacted KSport and they said they can only offer me repair/replacement of the shock for $100 each for the fronts. I did ask them if it's normal for the shocks to not last as long as it did. We'll see what they have to say.
[/b]
i had planned on not using the sprint drop set up i have now, and just going with the ksports, but because of this post alone, im now definitly not going to.

for only being installed for a year, and them not replacing them free is just wrong. these are supposed to be an upgrade, yet cant even last close to as long as stock. says alot about the company. looks like ill be looking into KW V2's now

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
i had planned on not using the sprint drop set up i have now, and just going with the ksports, but because of this post alone, im now definitly not going to.

for only being installed for a year, and them not replacing them free is just wrong. these are supposed to be an upgrade, yet cant even last close to as long as stock. says alot about the company. looks like ill be looking into KW V2's now
[/b]
I vote for KW, not only because of my brother's recommendation but also they're officially used in the FIA WTCC.

So I knew I couldn't get wrong with that.

Plus, I like V2's spring rate but most importantly, it stands out from other coilovers made by different manufacturers in the 418 hours salt spray test. Because I live in the area with heavy snow falls in the winter and the government use TONS of salt to melt the snow every year. So it's something that I have to take into serious consideration.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
You gotta have to look at the failure rate here. This is one of the first ksport kit for mazda6 that's blown (as far as i know) I personally have the kit on my car for well over a year now and they are good as new. Shock life varys greatly depends on the road condition, how you setup the suspension, (if you set it to firm all the time, adding a good amount of preload then you will decrease the shock life) how the car is driven (obveiously motor sports compeition can drasticly reduce shock life) Also there is maintances, installation and such.

I am not trying to make excuase here but I do drive on rough roads since I lived in michigan, I also do spirit driving from time to time but never done track events. I clean and re-adjust my front shocks every 3 month. Coilovers like the kpsort has more moving parts then just a shock and spring combo so more maintance is required. You can't just install the kit and forget about it. (not saying that dawei did anything specificly that killed his suspension, he probably did maintain it well, i just want to bring some awareness to everyone,)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
like i said, it's an individal case. yes, there might be some quality variation when the kit is made and this one might just be one of them. But it's only like everyone that are runing on ksport coilover are getting blown shocks, matter fact, from all the kits i have sold alone, there is less than 10% of ppl that had problems. Most people have been runing on the kit for alots of track events and they are still fine. You just simply can't say that this product is inferior because of one failure. This is like saying mazda6 is an unreliable car cause we got a few people here that had engine gone bad or some chattering clutch here and there.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
case in point: i love my ksports.

my endlinks are making noise, i think, tho.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, it could be just the set I received that was not good. I don't know. The road condition around where I live tend to be pretty bad. There's always construction. Yes, I have made adjustments over the last year or so, but I don't see what other maintenance might be involved to prevent the shocks from failing. I didn't expect it to last 5+ years but I thought it would last much longer than 1+ year.

However, Heronew's analogy of saying one failure doesn't mean the entire line is crap is correct. A few people have major problems with the 6 but many of us still love the car. When I first had the KSports on, they were great. But for myself, I'm just disappointed in the reliability of the product. And since I am outside of the warranty period, they are not obligated to fix/repair anything. However I wish they can see that it not lasting was definitely not oridinary.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts